300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin PD

I have been full time LE for 7.5 years in Indiana and debating on a move to Austin. I am curious what the department is like. I would love to hear from some people in the know. What kind of shifts, what is the off duty like, whats your complaints, does the administration back you, facial hair? I am a current K-9 hander and certified instructor through the state. My department also allows beards which would be a hard thing for me to get rid of, but not a deal breaker. Any knowledge of Austin or even Round Rock would be greatly appreciated.

It's the one place not to go in texas. They were actually defunded. Governor is taking over police duties with state police integrating into the department.

Comment

Yeah, Austin is not part of Texas...

Comment

Honestly, I can't see why you would want to go there. While much of the public supports the police, they sit on their hands as the police haters and activists belittle, berate and denigrate the police.

Comment

One of the major reasons I never wanted to work there is all of the people of 'power' there. It just wouldn't be worth it to me to regularly deal with those people of 'power' nor be beholden to such a liberal city.

Comment

Austin used to be the place to be in law enforcement as the pay was great and the cost of living and taxes were low. But then the Californians started moving there and like Mav 222 said, the department was defunded $150 million, roughly 1/3rd of their budget and I believe they had to lay off an entire recruit class. I'd avoid it. Plenty of departments in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that are hiring and that pay well. Good luck.

Comment

I would look at Hays County Sheriff's Office, its 30 minutes outside of Austin. Pay is great, nice area with plenty of fun it seems.

Comment

• Wheats13
                Wheats13 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks good and I appreciate the post. I've been a LEO in Illinois for 18 years and with the passage of HB 3653, which the governor intend to sign, now seems to be a good time to leave the state.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5725 users online. 359 members and 5366 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X