Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is an off-duty LEO NOT allowed to carry?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is an off-duty LEO NOT allowed to carry?

Just bringing in a question I saw posted in the General Section. As a brand new cop, I actually would like to know where and when I will be able to carry my off duty weapon in Texas.

The only place I can think of is in Federal Court...the US Marshalls and their contractors and affiliates will have you remove your weapon prior to making it past the first checkpoint.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

A Post Office.

Comment

Originally posted by MidCareer View Post
        A Post Office.

Negative,
        We can carry in the Post Office.

Comment

We can carry at the Post Office. Some military installations will not let you come on base with a weapon unless you are on official business. Alot of things change once you hit fed. property.

Comment

Does that apply to schools, churches, banks, etc?

Comment

you can bring your weapon into a school, church and bank.

Comment

Just dont take it to NASA. I found that out the hard way. They will freak. My uncle come down from KS and had bought some stuff off an auction from NASA. We go up there to get the stuff and we have to check in at this checkpoint and they do a vehicle search. We get out, open all the doors, and the hood like they ask. They ask me if there are any weapons in the vehicle. After we were going to be done I had to go straight to work so I had all my gear in my truck. I had my gun belt, vest, boots and other stuff in a duffel bag in the back seat. I had my uniform hanging up in the back. I told him yes, I am a police officer and my duty weapon is the in vehicle. I pull out my badge and ID card and hand them to him along with my DL. This guy goes nuts. He starts yelling at me telling me I have committed a federal felony and he is going to take me to jail. He tells me to go stand next to the guard shack and dont move. All of a sudden all these NASA security officers come out and they even call out their on scene SWAT team. These guys with ARs and shotguns come pouring out of this van. Im over on the side trying not to laugh. After about 30 mins their Lt comes over and gives me my badge, ID, and DL back. He explains to me that it is against the law for police officers to carry at NASA unless we are on official business. He tells me to leave and come back with out my weapon. My uncle and I get in my truck and on the front floor board is my weapon. They had taken it apart and left it sitting on the floorboard. So I put it back together and leave. Luckily I had a friend nearby so I dropped it off with him and was able to go back. I just thought the whole thing was funny. I wonder who they act with someone who is now law enforcemnt and brings a weapon.

Comment

Federal property and some court houses/prisons dont let off duty LEO's carry.

Comment

You can't carry inside the secure perimeter of many county jails, on or off duty.
                    sigpic
                    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

That's kind of a given........you can't even go past the first gate at TDC without securing your weapon, cell phone, OC spray and baton...nothing goes in with you.

Comment

Well, there are a few county facilities in Deep East, and Far West Texas that allow all of that in, wasn't sure where Charger was from, and wanting to clarify that for him, I'd hate for him/her to get hit with suspension without pay for carrying it in somewhere
                        sigpic
                        Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Whoa, I can't believe anyone with any sense would allow anyone into a facility where INMATES are and allow them to bring a weapon in with them.

Comment

I have never seen a City, County, State, or Fed facility let Officers come in with weapons. Did not think that could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                              That's kind of a given........you can't even go past the first gate at TDC without securing your weapon, cell phone, OC spray and baton...nothing goes in with you.

True true.

I had the "pleasure" of visiting the Stiles unit in Beaumont a couple of times to interview some susps. I left the gun in the trunk of the car and checked in. After checking in at the Wardens office, a guard checked my satchel, went through everything in it, and then took my pens and gave me some replacements.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3618 users online. 229 members and 3389 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X