Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Guy has a question

Hello Everyone,
    This is my first time writing in this forum. I have been reading other posts and it seems like everyone has pretty decent knowlege and good opinions. So I am hoping that one, some or all of you can give me some useful information. I am currently in the U.S Army and I have less than a year left on my contract, so I figure in a few months would be a good time for me to apply to some police agencies. I am 25 yrs old with a B.A degree in criminal justice. I have good credit, good driving history but ( there is alwasy a BUT ). Before I joined the Army I had a few brushes with the law and made a few mistakes such as disorderly conduct. I never had any drug charges, misdemeanors or felonies. My question is what police departments in Texas would everyone consider to be the "best depratments for me to apply to". I was wondering if most agencies in Texas can and will look past the mistakes I made before I joined the Army. Also, I would like to apply department in the DFW area or Central Texas. I am looking to apply for a department with a quick hiring process so that I can go to an academy sooner rather than later. If you guys can offer me any advice on where I should start sending me my applications that would be great. I have made contact with Dallas and Arlington and I am interested in any information that anyone might have on those 2 agencies. I have been away from my family too much over the past few years ( I am actually in Kuwait as we speak) and if possible are there any departments out their that have 4 day ten hour shifts, that give officers 3 days off? Sorry about the length of this post, I promise my next one will be much shorter. Thank you all for your time!

Have you considered our police department? The City of Mesquite is located just 15 minutes east of Dallas. In regards to the situation you have describe, our background investigators consider the time and distance that has been between the event and where you are now. You would be evaluated on a case by case basis. If you would, you can contact me at the number below and I can transfer you to our investigators to discuss this situation.

Keep us in mind, though! We offer one of the highest starting salaries in the state...$48,744/year and no experience is required! Visit our website, www.mesquitepolicejobs.com or www.myspace.com/mesquitepolice for more info.

Have a great day!

Jenifer Lindsey
    Recruiter
    City of Mesquite
    972-329-8312
    [email protected]

Comment

Most deparments wont take some one with a class B or above.. They will over look most mistake exept for family violence or DUIs.
      "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

Last edited by AKA=Cruz; 06-04-2007, 11:42 PM.
        "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

Dallas has an academy starting just about every 8-10 weeks so providing your background investigation doesn't take a lifetime it can be a fairly quick process. The above poster is correct...usually nothing above Class B ...but once again your best bet is to speak to a recruiter...you can email them...for Dallas go to www.dallaspolice.net and click on recruiting and you can email correspondence and they will let you know if your concerns should really be concerns or not. I'm partial to Dallas LOL (maybe that's because I'm in the Academy right now LOL) but really they do have one of the BEST training programs in the nation and you can NOT beat the pension. We may not get paid as much starting but tell you what we will be able to retire and sit back and relax on the beach without a care rather than work until we're 80 LOL.

Comment

While I'm not advocating my particular department our retirement is TCDRS (two retirement programs) and in the three years I've been with this department I have damn near 20K in the system already. Now, that being said, my department is one of the lowest paid soooooooooo, try anywhere you desire....if you want Central Texas then look up departments there and try. Be honest and forthright in your past wrong doings and I'd bet you'd get hired at some agency.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6331 users online. 335 members and 5996 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X