300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral from NYPD to TX

I'm looking to leave NY and relocate to Texas I, have 10 years on now with the NYPD and would still like to stay in law enforcement once I relocate. How does texas retirement work? Any departments near Dallas fort worth area that do laterals? What pay do they start you with when you do a lateral?
    Thank you guys

Smaller departments will usually accept laterals and large departments will usually make you go through the entire academy. To do a lateral academy some departments will require you to have your TCOLE license first. Google the requirements for that. Even the largest departments here will be small compared to Nypd. Depends what you’re looking for. There’s Dallas, HPD, Austin, and State Troopers if you want to work for a large department.

edit: also look up master tcole you’ll be able to get pretty fast possibly depending on if your 10yrs counts for the dept
    you go to.

msg me if you got any questions. I work got a large dept in tx
    Last edited by danlikescats; 03-08-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Several decent/good size departments in the DFW area take laterals and pay pretty well.
      Denton PD, McKinney PD, Irving PD, Frisco PD, Mesquite PD, Richardson PD, Farmers Branch PD, Grand Prairie PD, and more...You need to go on their websites to get info about pay because they're all different.
      They dont all make you complete an entire academy, but you will have to challenge TCOLE to get your Texas peace officer license, which of course will require some type of "academy" or training.
      Most agencies here are enrolled in TMRS for retirement and it is required enrollment. 7% out of your paycheck and the city normally matches 2/1. You can log onto their website and see what each cities TMRS package entails.
      Last edited by janedoe1; 03-08-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Mesquite PD will pay you for your experience at NYPD, but you will have to go through the entire academy. Go to www.iwanttobeacop.net to see our pay scale and testing schedule. Our next test is 3/20, but the deadline to register just passed. Our next will be in June. Going through the entire academy allows you to get a better grasp on Texas law and get acclimated to our department. You would be making more than your classmates and it is 6 months of days with weekends off (which is a plus). You will not need to worry about challenging TCOLE, you will take it at the end of the academy. PM if you have any specific questions.

Comment

I’m glad this thread is so recent, I’m also looking into a move like this. Also 10 years on and looking into DFW Area.

Can anyone explain the TCOLE Challenge involves and the normal length of time from application to hire?

I love this profession, my unit, my co-workers, etc. but having a family has made me want to look elsewhere.

Comment

Out of State Peace Officers, Getting a License if you are an out of state peace officer. (Challenging TCOLE)

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/...peace-officers

Don't confuse Texas Peace Officer status with other states meaning of peace officers......For Texas, Police Officers/Deputy Sheriffs...etc are all licensed Peace Officers.

Comment

I might be looking at Texas as well for family reasons. I would be coming from Nevada and looking in the Houston area. I was very impressed with my visit to the state and there is definitely a strong possibility of moving to the Houston area. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I just did the Out of State Licensing process last fall and I'm on the job in the Houston area now. PM me if you have any questions on the process. I came from Arizona.
                1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

I'm on the job too and looking to go to Texas (Houston or Dallas) PD. Let me know how it goes.

Comment

As a New Yorker who worked for a Texas police department, I can tell you NYPD guys that the Job is much different down there. You will respond to calls for service for matters that you didn’t think that would ever require police involvement. Also, you will be highly respected as a cop, especially in smaller towns, but you definitely need to reciprocate. Many departments see themselves very service oriented, so if a citizen complains, you’ll likely hear about it.

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from making a move, but just understand that it’s nothing like NYPD.
                    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I'm with Dallas and we'd be happy to have you guys. We need some good men and women here.
                      The pay here is finally at a level where It is pretty damned good. Our pension isnt what it used to be but it is still pretty good when you compare it to many others .
                      dont think for a second that Dallas is a conservative city. It is not NYC liberal but it is still ridiculously liberal.
                      if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                        As a New Yorker who worked for a Texas police department, I can tell you NYPD guys that the Job is much different down there. You will respond to calls for service for matters that you didn’t think that would ever require police involvement. Also, you will be highly respected as a cop, especially in smaller towns, but you definitely need to reciprocate. Many departments see themselves very service oriented, so if a citizen complains, you’ll likely hear about it.

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from making a move, but just understand that it’s nothing like NYPD.
                        This plus one. We just fired a guy from NYPD that couldn't make an adjustment. He ****ed off a local sheriff, and never recovered. But it is arguably the best state in the nation for police, and we love having good folks come down and learn to live the Texas life!

If you have any questions on this PM me. I can give you a state wide view.

Comment

CPD officer here also interested in making a move to Texas. I've looked at a range of departments from small to big. I've looked at Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and others such as Arlington, Irving, and Grand Prairie.

I've only visited Texas but I'm not too familiar with the Police Departments. Anyone on this thread that has experienced any of the mentioned PD's? I've been with the Chicago Police Department for about 5 yrs now but I'm just tired of the politics here and the constant bashing of CPD. It's literally a war zone here and I'm not trying to raise my little one here anymore.

Comment

• southpaw1
                            southpaw1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            +1...not immediately but I'm starting to at least think long term and keep my options open for sure.

http://tcole.texas.gov/content/statewide-vacancies

CCSDDEPUTY, I only had dealing with a couple of those departments listed, but as I always say, don't forget about the millions of other departments. The link above may help a little in your search. Also, I don't know what your politics are, but the major cities are liberal as can be, and you'll find a lot of the areas outside of these metropolitan areas to be more conservative.

A worthless anecdote, I was at a hunting show in San Antonio in '18 where I spoke to the sheriff of Bexar County, which is San Antonio. I told him that I was a retired officer, and he wanted to recruit me right then and there. With talks of defunding in these large cities, I don't know if the hiring is as it was before all of this mess that is going on now, but do what you can to escape Chi-Town if that is your goal.

Comment

That's good to hear. I'll be taking a trip to Texas soon. Thanks for the link with other departments that are currently hiring. I was able to download the application for out of state police officers looking to transfer their certification as a peace officer in Texas, but does anyone know the exact process and timeline for something like that?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5842 users online. 356 members and 5486 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X