300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like your agency?

I am new to forum, and poked around a bit and found similar but mostly from wanna-be's. This is a question for current/recent LEOs:

Do you like your department?

I know grass is greener, and no where is perfect, but where I am seems to be getting beyond ridiculous super fast, while I hear rumors of other agencies and leadership/management that sound reasonable and/or are liked by their guys on the streets.

In the metroplex does anyone work for or know of an agency that:
    • isn't lowering their entrance standards to cater to particular demographics
    • isn't afraid to be proactive
    • supports their guys
    • isn't bloated with useless positions and needlessly top heavy
    • doesn't have ridiculous policies about equipment and force
    • does your department do regular PT tests
    For example I have heard Grand Prairie is good. I've heard good things about McKinney, Irving, and Garland.

I get we're talking about political agencies in this current culture, however just in case.

Thanks all, and stay frosty.

Aaahhh, a newbie with one post enters the forum and innocently asks us to commit career suicide. Dream on young soldier, dream on.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Last edited by Romeo.delta; 05-18-2019, 08:13 PM. Reason: Deleted to add quote.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Aaahhh, a newbie with one post enters the forum and innocently asks us to commit career suicide. Dream on young soldier, dream on.
        I have received DMs that have been very helpful. I didn't ask for incriminating info, in fact, I asked if anyone likes their department and can recommend it, not trash it, so I really don't see that your comment is relative to my original post. So instead of seeing the post for what it is, and finding a way to help a 'newbie' in this career field, you opted to make a nonconstructive and unnecessary comment. Lastly, are you in California? I asked about Texas.

Comment

Bud, can't answer your original question, as I am out of state looking to move to TX.. but I will say you will find a ton of these "seasoned" guys who love to respond to people the exact way as above, offering little more than snarky remarks about how dumb your question or inquiry was or how you need to go research through the rest of the forums for your answer. It's just part of it.

It seems like these days good departments are harder and harder to find, at least ones that pay decently. Too much fear of liability and public opinion.

Hope to join y'all in TX soon. Be safe.

P.S. - For what it's worth, I feel like I could point out what I don't like about my department without committing "career suicide." Not sure what "L-1" would have had to say about his prior department but it must be pretty bad if he feels it could have cost him his career.
          Last edited by TN_Gator; 05-21-2019, 01:38 AM.

Comment

There are still places that care about their troops but they are becoming fewer and fewer. I doubt any big city officer in this country would feel their department has their backs.
            This career has changed. We are in a world where just because you're right doesn't mean you get to win. There is a reason fewer people are applying for these once highly sought after jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by formerdispatcher View Post
              There are still places that care about their troops but they are becoming fewer and fewer. I doubt any big city officer in this country would feel their department has their backs.
              This career has changed. We are in a world where just because you're right doesn't mean you get to win. There is a reason fewer people are applying for these once highly sought after jobs.
              Agreed. I should have gone to FD. I'm not delusional, just looking for a better than the rest. Thanks for input though, something is better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by TN_Gator View Post
                Bud, can't answer your original question, as I am out of state looking to move to TX.. but I will say you will find a ton of these "seasoned" guys who love to respond to people the exact way as above, offering little more than snarky remarks about how dumb your question or inquiry was or how you need to go research through the rest of the forums for your answer. It's just part of it.

It seems like these days good departments are harder and harder to find, at least ones that pay decently. Too much fear of liability and public opinion.

Hope to join y'all in TX soon. Be safe.

P.S. - For what it's worth, I feel like I could point out what I don't like about my department without committing "career suicide." Not sure what "L-1" would have had to say about his prior department but it must be pretty bad if he feels it could have cost him his career.
                Well, I have a decent pulse on the agencies in the metroplex so if ya got any questions holler. My second job is in MS, so I drive through LA and work with Leo's from both states. Plus, LA state police usually get me about two times each way coming and going, so we might have met!

Texas is prolly the best state to be a LEO in. And I agree, we are a generationally prejudiced and cannibalistic profession, maybe our own worse enemies.

Comment

current agency? Eh.....it's alright.
                  I prefer my former agency (worked there for 8.5 years) as it was less hands-on, more rural, more excitement, etc
                  Last edited by Maverick1701; 06-01-2019, 07:27 AM.
                  Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Originally posted by maverick1701 View Post
                    current agency? Eh.....it's alright.
                    I prefer my former agency (worked there for 8.5 years) as it was less micro-managing, more rural, more excitement, etc.
                    you trying to commit career suicide?

Comment

• TN_Gator
                      TN_Gator commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I typed that with all caps for emphasis but I guess that's not allowed here. lol

Last edited by Maverick1701; 06-01-2019, 07:28 AM.
                    Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9661 users online. 458 members and 9203 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X