• Show
Clear All

• TX DPS State Trooper A-2020 Recruit School

A-2020
    Starts: January 5, 2020
    Graduates: July 17, 2020
    Application Process Starts: March 1, 2019
    Physical Readiness/Written Test Deadline: June 15, 2019
    Deadline for consideration for the A-2020 Trooper Trainee School is July 1, 2019. Applicant must complete the PRT/Written test, interview and polygraph steps by the deadline for consideration to the A-2020 Trooper Trainee School.

Looking forward to applying in a couple of weeks. Good luck to everyone starting the process!

Comment

So it begins....
      Now, with more running, and a dash of rowing.
      Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.
      Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

Comment

• WillyWonkaBars
        WillyWonkaBars commented
        Editing a comment
        Well looky who we have here......

• DerekSmalls7
        DerekSmalls7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Present and accounted for!

Motivation is high, back pain is low.

• WillyWonkaBars
        WillyWonkaBars commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I like to see and hear! Best of luck my friend

Heads up to you folks. I know it’s a ways out, but just running and rowing is not the only thing you need. You need a plethora of calisthenics, sprinting, and CORE strength if you make it..

Comment

• bryanfiji
        bryanfiji commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d be up for coordinating a weekly workout meetup in north Austin if anyone is interested.

• DerekSmalls7
        DerekSmalls7 commented
        Editing a comment
        So I'm assuming they haven't toned down the running and upped the heavy lifting?

• johnny73
        johnny73 commented
        Editing a comment
        derek. It’s way worse than when Sgt. Petersen was there.

• DerekSmalls7
        DerekSmalls7 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm assuming something to the tune of:
        0400: CrossFit, run, row.......1900: row, run and CrossFit......yep, that's pretty much what my nightmares are like. Haha. Time to embrace the pain now, so I'm not the last guy in the pack later...

It is no joke. Don’t half *** your training now thinking they’ll get you in shape if you make. You will work for everything.

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask anyone who has gone through the background process how much does low debt to income ratio play a part in being selected for the academy. I'm not drowning in debt but I have a house, 2 cars, a motorcycle, and credit cards with one having a high balance when the house was purchased. If anyone has any knowledge could you please pass it forward.

Comment

• Pingtn
          Pingtn commented
          Editing a comment
          General rule of thumb is as long as payments are on time, debts are in good standing, and you're not drowning in debt, you can typically get signed off.

Anyone know, is the math portion of the test multiple choice?

Comment

• DerekSmalls7
          DerekSmalls7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Unless they've overhauled the entire exam, both the English and math section are multiple choice. You'll do each section one at a time and have X amount of minutes for each. No calculator allowed, and they give you a few sheets of scratch paper to do your calculations on.

Been looking forward to transitioning out of the military and straight to DPS. Does anyone think this academy date will get pushed back like the others?

Comment

• Hobartpenning
          Hobartpenning commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m in the same boat! Going to have to try to see about that paid internship to bridge the gap between ETS and acad.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how out-of-state applicants are viewed? I obviously don’t have a TCOLE cert and knew it was a question on one of the forms, if applicable. Not far out of state. An hour east of Texarkana.

Comment

• bryanfiji
          bryanfiji commented
          Editing a comment
          I was talking to a DPS buddy today and he said that they generally invite everyone who makes it through the entire process, so I would assume it doesn’t matter too much if you’re in or out of state. A recruiter could probably give a more definitive answer though.

Anyone know what the interview consist of?

Comment

• BQ19_Whoop
          BQ19_Whoop commented
          Editing a comment
          Don’t know about content, but it’s no longer an oral board as in years past. It’s a one-on-one with your recruiter. I think the idea is that it allows the recruiter to better judge your character since they’re more familiar with you.

• bryanfiji
          bryanfiji commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s interesting, where did you hear that?

• BQ19_Whoop
          BQ19_Whoop commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s straight from my recruiter as of yesterday.

• bryanfiji
          bryanfiji commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know. My recruiter mentioned an interview, but I assumed it was more of an informal pre-screening of sorts. Kind of like what the FBI does.

Hello folks. I am pretty familiar with the process as I went through the whole thing for the A-19 academy. The reason I was not able to attend, was it to being that I applied showing 54 college credit hours, by the time the semester had finished I withdrew from class not realizing it was going to put me short of the 60. I finished with only 57. I went through the process to the point where I was already buying the required material. Towards the start of the academy DPS had asked for a current transcript and that’s when I had found out that I would fall short. Touching back on the interview, this time around it will be a one on one with your recruiter, last time it was a three person panel at HQ.

Comment

Hi, hows it going, I'm familiar with the process as well. Went through the whole process in 2016 but was not selected to the academy due to the competitiveness nature of the selection process. Its tough but not impossible to get in, you just got to rank high enough from the get go. I'm planning on starting a group chat for this A-2020 academy applicants on the GroupMe app available on Android and Iphone. If anyone is interested, please, let me know by shooting me a message on this application. You never know if we just might end up together in the A-2020 academy.

Comment

I’ve tried to find information on their hiring needs to sort of gauge my chances of getting in (long story short, I did typical stupid teenage stuff in high school, and admitted to all of it on my application), but the only information I’m getting is that there are 150 openings. Does anyone know what hiring climate they’re looking at for this go around? I’m making the long drive from North Carolina to take the exams and polygraph at the end of this month. Extremely excited to finally be following my calling, but also somewhat nervous that I won’t get selected, even with military service and college credits in the 70’s.

Comment

I know that for this years physical exam it’s only the 1.5 mile run and 500 meter row. I talked to my recruiter from region 3 and told me that they are looking for individuals that score 90% on both the 1.5mile and the row. Which for me means running the 1.5mile in 9:56 and the row in 1:28 Have you’ll talked with your recruiter and also suggested scoring 90% on both?

Comment

• BQ19_Whoop
                BQ19_Whoop commented
                Editing a comment
                I know my recruiter said the cutoff for getting hired is usually 80-85% combined score (though it can depend on how qualified the applicant is overall). It’s definitely an uphill battle for me on the rower, I’m pretty short so I gotta pull extra hard to get a decent time. With the run I’m averaging a combined score in the low 80s when I test myself.

First time to apply and go through this process. This forum has been pretty silent for a couple of weeks now, just trying to see what it’s all about. Taking my PRT and written test this Sunday. Anyone else been able to take their tests or going to do so in the near future?

Comment

• BQ19_Whoop
                BQ19_Whoop commented
                Editing a comment
                Testing next Tuesday. Still a little nervous about the rower but otherwise I’m optimistic.

• Jxpina01
                Jxpina01 commented
                Editing a comment
                Bryanfiji how did it go on the 1.5mile and in the row? What were your times?

• bryanfiji
                bryanfiji commented
                Editing a comment
                Run was 10:10 (96%, I’m 41) and row was 1:39 (79%, got some work to do). The times for the rower are tough. They changed by 12 seconds a month or so ago.

• bryanfiji
                bryanfiji commented
                Editing a comment
                Deleted comment and moved it to the correct post
                Last edited by bryanfiji; 04-13-2019, 03:19 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10711 users online. 465 members and 10246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X