Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances with a Texas LE Agency...

Hello to all Texas LEOs out there.

I'm strongly considering moving to Texas just to escape Southern California. After the CA state realignment that released more criminals into the locality that booked 'em (LA county being approximately 40% of them) and being victim to a serious crime last year, I seriously want out. While media reports our economy is "booming", the affordability/housing market/quality of life is severely deteriorating, while the cost of living is growing exponentially. I'd like to be a homeowner someday soon, so I can work on my car in my driveway (living the American Dream).

I know Texas is HUGE, but I do have a blemish on my background. I posted a while back on this forum to gauge my hiring prospects. Here is the thread:

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...ly-appreciated

There are no other blemishes on my background: I still kept/keep my nose clean, have stable employment and finances, as well as overwhelmingly positive references of character and employment (working government civilian). I feel that I'm still stacking whipped cream on turd, yet I've always had the passion to serve as a LEO after putting myself through an academy here back in 2009/2010.

I would work unpaid reserve to prove myself, as I can find regular/government employment given my soft/hard skillset and professional experience.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Try Dallas. They are hurting for officers more than just about anyone in the state. You're best bet is always going to be with any place that is undesirable.

Comment

You might think of applying with Fayette County SO in Texas. Fayette County was the home of the Chicken Ranch. Although illegal, it was quietly tolerated by the SO. Given their social attitudes, they might be more understanding of your situation.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. Good to hear from you L-1 also, I always respect and appreciate your knowledge/input.

If anyone wants to PM me vs. posting on an open forum, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks all for helping out.

Comment

I'm sure you are well aware that all replies will just be guesses and opinions.

I'll put it like this.. I would not be opposed to working with someone with your background. I work with several officers who admitted to hiring prostitutes overseas while in the military. At least one of these officers also admitted to cocaine use. They're good officers with clean IA records.

I would recommend applying to large municipal and county agencies looking to fill a high number of vacancies. Another benefit to going to a large agency is they have their own academy and you start getting paid the day you start training instead of having to self-sponsor or something like that. I'd recommend Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, etc. I work for Austin PD, and I know we've been hiring like crazy for the past few years. I don't know anything about how your background will play into your application process because I have never worked in recruiting. I've mentioned it numerous times on this forum, that I smoked marijuana upwards of 20 times in college. That was only about 7 years before I applied (like you, I decided to pursue LE kind of later in life). A lot of people on this forum opined that I would have no chance in LE. I applied to 2 departments and got DQed from one. I've been at Austin for almost 8 years now. Again, I don't speak for my dept.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
            I'm sure you are well aware that all replies will just be guesses and opinions.

I'll put it like this.. I would not be opposed to working with someone with your background. I work with several officers who admitted to hiring prostitutes overseas while in the military. At least one of these officers also admitted to cocaine use. They're good officers with clean IA records.

I would recommend applying to large municipal and county agencies looking to fill a high number of vacancies. Another benefit to going to a large agency is they have their own academy and you start getting paid the day you start training instead of having to self-sponsor or something like that. I'd recommend Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, etc. I work for Austin PD, and I know we've been hiring like crazy for the past few years. I don't know anything about how your background will play into your application process because I have never worked in recruiting. I've mentioned it numerous times on this forum, that I smoked marijuana upwards of 20 times in college. That was only about 7 years before I applied (like you, I decided to pursue LE kind of later in life). A lot of people on this forum opined that I would have no chance in LE. I applied to 2 departments and got DQed from one. I've been at Austin for almost 8 years now. Again, I don't speak for my dept.

Good luck.
            I sincerely appreciate your candid response and I am very encouraged to try again. Maybe I'll throw in my hat with 2 agencies and see if they'll give me a chance. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10936 users online. 469 members and 10467 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X