Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSD73
    replied
    I'll one up ya...come to my dept...we can pay less than all of you...but better!!

Leave a comment:

• HMFIC
    replied
    Originally posted by mo0n View Post
    eta: Recruits will earn approximately $2900/3000 a month during training (at least that's what it sounds like) and will make the equivalent per month of $45,000 a year after their probationary period.
    Thats better than Houston PD. Recruits make $29k/yr during the Academy AND probation (1 yr total). After probation, they go to a outstanding $36k. No wonder they can hardly fill a class....

Leave a comment:

• mo0n
    replied
    Well I (finally) got back from my CJO last night (delayed for over 5 hours in Atlanta, didn't get in til 330am this morning...but I'm thankful for just being able to get out I guess) and here's what I found out:

You have to pass all 7 of the physical requirements. If you don't, you have the option to come back and retest the portions you failed

It's 3 weeks out from graduation from the academy when you find out where you're going. And they don't seem to like "trading" places (i.e. I wanna be in San Antonio but got Dallas and you wanted to be in Dallas and got San Antonio, they wouldn't like it if we switched).

And psych questionaires suck.

eta: There is a raise effective September 1st. Troopers now have to pass 80% standards to receive their raise but will have to reach 90% next year and 100% the year after. That's the reason for the near future retirement exodus from DPS, some older troopers don't want to be bothered for that (the raise is better for younger troopers, not so much for ones who have 20+ years in). Recruits will earn approximately $2900/3000 a month during training (at least that's what it sounds like) and will make the equivalent per month of $45,000 a year after their probationary period.
    Last edited by mo0n; 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM. Reason: forgot something

Leave a comment:

• Chesty
    replied
    Lots of Questions

Question #1 Yes & No, we get take home cars. Most of the time, yes. A lot of factors are involved. There is usually slightly less cars in a station than Troopers. Some Troopers are partnered up with a car, but they don't always work the same shifts, so they alternate the use of their car. Sometimes you just flat have your own car. It all depends on where you go, and what the situation is there. You will always check on duty from your drive way. We don't have briefings or anything like that. The car will be out in front of your house a lot.

Question #2 Recruit assignments are made near the end of the academy. The other guy sumed it up pretty good. They freeze transfers towards the end of your academy and make assignments.

Question #3 I don't have a clue about the physical assessment. I was told recently that you didn't have to pass any of it at first, but you had to have passed it by time you graduated. Of course that's from the rumor mill, not official. That's changed a lot over the years, so its hard to keep up with.

I hope this sums things up guys/girls. I don't check this forum everyday, so forgive me if my responses aren't instant. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• mo0n
    replied
    NOLAPIG, if I recall correctly...(*cringe* it's been a bit) I think my recruiter said that two weeks out from graduation all the open slots in TX freeze and the recruits are placed in the open spots.

Question! I have my conditional job offer stint in two weeks, and I was just curious...is the mile and a half run the only pass/fail event? Everything else is just cumulative? I'm a little more than slightly confused on this...so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    at what point during the academy do the recruits get assigned their duty location after they graduate? Is it common for many recruits to resign when they are issued a duty location they/or spouse arent happy with? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• JSD73
    replied
    Every trooper I work around has a take home unit.

While I have no desire to be a trooper I have the utmost respect for them and they help my dept out a lot with major accidents/fatalities.

Leave a comment:

• futurencLEO
    replied
    Chesty,

I've seen varying answers to this question.

Do Texas DPS Troopers receive take-home patrol cars?

I've heard it depends on your duty station/availability etc. Can you clarify?

Leave a comment:

• Chesty
    replied
    raise

There is a raise in the works now. We should know by the end of the day. A trooper one should be making about 45,000 a year plus STEP (overtime). I'm not sure what they pay recruits right now. It graduates a lot during the first year. Our hiring process has been streamlined to 45 days. From the moment your application is received, you will have a decision for hire in 45 days. Thats a pretty good improvement in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• HMFIC
    replied
    Originally posted by NOLAPIG View Post
    thanks for the response chesty..any word on you guys getting a raise? DPS should pay their people better, especially in an attempt to be competitive with local departments.

This is what I was told by a Trooper ain the past about pay.

The pension is awesome, If I recall correctly, something like 90% of last yrs salary for the rest of your life.

They employeedoesnt pay into SSA, extra $$ in your pocket.

Last, the pesnion contributions were paid 100% by state, more $$ in pocket.

Double check these "facts". Dont know if it was embellishment, or if I remebered them correctly...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Chesty View Post
    Its just like any other state academy. Its rigid. What time you get up depends on how many recruit schools are in session. They have to alternate the PT times. You get freedom in the evening anywhere from 6-8, depending on your class schedules. Some nights you have late nights. Its like rigid college. Some folks have compared it to boot camp, but I'm a Marine and I don't think so. Very structured college is closer to a comparison. The hardest part is being there for 27 weeks. If you can stick it out for that long it won't be a problem.
    thanks for the response chesty..any word on you guys getting a raise? DPS should pay their people better, especially in an attempt to be competitive with local departments.

Leave a comment:

• Chesty
    replied
    Academy

Its just like any other state academy. Its rigid. What time you get up depends on how many recruit schools are in session. They have to alternate the PT times. You get freedom in the evening anywhere from 6-8, depending on your class schedules. Some nights you have late nights. Its like rigid college. Some folks have compared it to boot camp, but I'm a Marine and I don't think so. Very structured college is closer to a comparison. The hardest part is being there for 27 weeks. If you can stick it out for that long it won't be a problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Can someone describe a "typical" day during the dps academy? What time is wake up, average daily pt mileage, class, lunch, break, lights out etc. Thanks.

bump for more info on the "typical" academy day. there was also a brief diary of a cadet that was once posted on the dps website, anyone have the link? thanks

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Can someone describe a "typical" day during the dps academy? What time is wake up, average daily pt mileage, class, lunch, break, lights out etc. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Matto
    replied
    I understand that..but prestige doesnt pay the house note.
    Obviously for them it does. A lot of state departments tend to pay lower or not any better than your city departments.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5435 users online. 319 members and 5116 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X