300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPS Trooper

Can anybody tell me more about this department? I have been looking at relocating to TX. I am currently in GA and looking for a change. I do like traffic enforcement so DPS looks good on paper. I want to know, how is the morale, Does the department back you etc. Are the medical benefits good? Any info would be grate. Thanks for your time and be safe out there.

TC
    Last edited by tcode3; 06-12-2007, 01:56 PM. Reason: Typeo
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Only negative I've ever heard was pay.

Comment

Only bad thing I've heard from DPS Troopers (besides pay) was that the difficulty of getting in. One guy I talked to said a guy he was in the academy with had to apply 7 or 8 times before he was accepted.

Comment

I work with several Ex-Troopers who left DPS to come work for my agency. In my personal opinion they are the most squared away cops I have worked with. The same goes for DPS troopers I have had the experience of working with in the field. The state benefits (health care, retirement, etc.) are good, but the pay can leave something to be desired. In general Texas state law enforcement (Troopers, TABC, Game Wardens) are not paid competitively compared to some of the county or municipal departments in the state. That being said it all depends on where your duty station is. Trooper pay is good money if you assigned to a rural county. If you get assined near Houston, D/FW, Austin, or San Antonio it can leave something to be desired.

Comment

Based on the low salary and the very real fact that you may be relocated across the state, im wondering why such stiff competition as it relates to being selected.

Comment

I think it has to do with being said " i am a DPS Trooper". The selection process is hard, and alot of applicants. The ones that i deal with are very squared away, and always willing to help. I think it depends on were you are located in Texas. Here in DFW, most local PD's with a medium size city pay more. It depends on what type of work in Law Enforcement that you want. If you go local, you have more call's and stay busy if you are in a pretty good size city. DPS work the roads and deal with Traffic, and Drug Interdiction. The guys here in Denton County get alot of dope, and stay pretty busy. I do like DPS for how they are not limited on policies. If they need to chase, they chase, when they want to assist, they assist. When the stuff hits the fan on pursuits, it is good to have the troopers there. They will spike, and do anything they can to get the bad guy.
            Last edited by bikecop136; 04-26-2007, 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Go with it bro, it looks like you already work in Georgia and know how state works. Yeah they do have great medical and other benefits working for state. Like Northtechsan stated, if you go to the rural counties, pay will be good. If you end up in one of the numerous metros, pay will not be as good. Most state's Troopers, or DPS are not too much different on how they run and work. If ya like Georgia DPS, and want the move, try Texas DPS......

Comment

Don't let the fact that some have applied many times discourage you either. I've talked to plenty who got in on the first try. Plus, a lot of Troopers complain that DPS requirements aren't strict enough and that unqualified people are getting in. I can kind of believe that since being a Drivers License Tech. qualifies as experience or by being a correctional officer. (If they're letting TDCJ employees into DPS, I see DPS in a whole new light. Many of the folks at TDCJ are...well...)

Whatever the case, just apply and see what happens if you're interested. I, personally, don't think I could handle moving across the state whenever I wanted to promote, transfer, etc. I respect everyone that does though.

Good luck

PS-Last time I read the TSTA message boards, there was mention of a raise.

Comment

Originally posted by bikecop136 View Post
                  I think it has to do with being said " i am a DPS Trooper". The selection process is hard, and alot of applicants. The ones that i deal with are very squared away, and always willing to help. I think it depends on were you are located in Texas. Here in DFW, most local PD's with a medium size city pay more. It depends on what type of work in Law Enforcement that you want. If you go local, you have more call's and stay busy if you are in a pretty good size city. DPS work the roads and deal with Traffic, and Drug Interdiction. The guys here in Denton County get alot of dope, and stay pretty busy. I do like DPS for how they are not limited on policies. If they need to chase, they chase, when they want to assist, they assist. When the stuff hits the fan on pursuits, it is good to have the troopers there. They will spike, and do anything they can to get the bad guy.

I understand that..but prestige doesnt pay the house note.

Comment

Originally posted by NOLAPIG View Post
                    I understand that..but prestige doesnt pay the house note.
                    Obviously for them it does. A lot of state departments tend to pay lower or not any better than your city departments.

Comment

Can someone describe a "typical" day during the dps academy? What time is wake up, average daily pt mileage, class, lunch, break, lights out etc. Thanks.

Comment

Can someone describe a "typical" day during the dps academy? What time is wake up, average daily pt mileage, class, lunch, break, lights out etc. Thanks.

bump for more info on the "typical" academy day. there was also a brief diary of a cadet that was once posted on the dps website, anyone have the link? thanks

Comment

Academy

Its just like any other state academy. Its rigid. What time you get up depends on how many recruit schools are in session. They have to alternate the PT times. You get freedom in the evening anywhere from 6-8, depending on your class schedules. Some nights you have late nights. Its like rigid college. Some folks have compared it to boot camp, but I'm a Marine and I don't think so. Very structured college is closer to a comparison. The hardest part is being there for 27 weeks. If you can stick it out for that long it won't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesty View Post
                            Its just like any other state academy. Its rigid. What time you get up depends on how many recruit schools are in session. They have to alternate the PT times. You get freedom in the evening anywhere from 6-8, depending on your class schedules. Some nights you have late nights. Its like rigid college. Some folks have compared it to boot camp, but I'm a Marine and I don't think so. Very structured college is closer to a comparison. The hardest part is being there for 27 weeks. If you can stick it out for that long it won't be a problem.
                            thanks for the response chesty..any word on you guys getting a raise? DPS should pay their people better, especially in an attempt to be competitive with local departments.

Comment

thanks for the response chesty..any word on you guys getting a raise? DPS should pay their people better, especially in an attempt to be competitive with local departments.

This is what I was told by a Trooper ain the past about pay.

The pension is awesome, If I recall correctly, something like 90% of last yrs salary for the rest of your life.

They employeedoesnt pay into SSA, extra $$ in your pocket.

Last, the pesnion contributions were paid 100% by state, more $$ in pocket.

Double check these "facts". Dont know if it was embellishment, or if I remebered them correctly...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5551 users online. 329 members and 5222 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X