300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written exam

I wanted to know how some of y’all prepared for the written exam. I’m having difficulty with these test and I would like some advice to help improve my scores and to have a better chance on being ranked high on a department list.

The questions on the written are intended to help measure your ability to actually perform the duties of the position you are seeking. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're having difficulty achieving a passing score, it's probably because at this point in your life you lack the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to do the job.

There are no special tricks to passing the written. You've either got it or you don't. However, look at the exam announcement for the position. It usually states somewhere in the fine print what the written will cover. (It's not a state secret.) If not, contact HR, civil service, or recruiting staff and ask. No one will tell you what the questions will be, but they should tell you the area the written exam will cover. Then study those areas as much as you can. This is not for the faint of heart. If they say it covers criminal law, you need to learn the elements of the laws most commonly enforced by police. If it covers patrol procedures, you need tp buy a book on that area and study. It may be a long list, you might need to buy a lot of books and it might seem like a huge hassle, but remember, over your lifetime (and depending on where you live) this job could pay you up to $3 million in salary and benefits, so you need to decide whether its worth the time and effort to prepare.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1

Thank you for the honesty,and you weren’t rude at all. I willl apply what you have said and give it everything I got thank you!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Boca96 View Post
          I wanted to know how some of y’all prepared for the written exam. I’m having difficulty with these test and I would like some advice to help improve my scores and to have a better chance on being ranked high on a department list.
          what type of written exam? for police recruits?

I don't know if it is the same for Texas but this is the most common written test for police recruit in Maricopa County Arizona.

Phoenix, Chandler and Gilbert will use this type of written test. This is a sample test .
          https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/D...tudy_guide.pdf

Tempe and Mesa have their own written test style (about 70-ish questions) . Tempe is mainly about English (spelling,grammar, definition, etc.) Mesa has a math portion along with the English portion

Which portion of the test you have the most difficult time with?
          Last edited by Newuser2018; 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM.
          Be sure to smile for the cameras.....

Comment

Newuser2018

I'm having trouble with the English (grammar), and the math sections of the exam seems to get me every time I take it.
            Last edited by Boca96; 06-06-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Newuser2018

I'm having trouble with the English (grammar), and the math sections of the exam seems to get me every time I take it.
              Is English your second language? I would work on improving it. There are plenty of free books and apps available (library or google play store) that can help you improve your English and Math. English 101 or Pre/Algebra should be fine. The math portion consists entirely of Pre-Algebra problems.

This is a Free app for English grammar. You can look through the app store for additional apps.
              https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ammar.test.app

Algebra apps
              https://play.google.com/store/search?q=algebra&c=apps

The police recruit written test is easy comparing the SAT or ACT. I think you will be fine.
              Last edited by Newuser2018; 06-06-2018, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Newuser2018

Thank you for your resources!

Comment

I'm having trouble with the English (grammar)
                  It can be a real killer of you don't know how to write. I used to review reports involving use of force incidents where I was present, witnessed the event and knew the force used was reasonable and proper. But because the officers didn't know how to write, their reports sounded like written confessions to civil rights violations.

...and the math sections of the exam seems to get me every time I take it.
                  Being bad at math can result in accusations that you pocked drugs or money from an arrest when in reality, you just miscounted.

You really need to bring up both skills.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Newuser2018

Thank you for your resources!
                    When is the next testing date?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3397 users online. 188 members and 3209 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X