300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harris County SO (Reserve) - Opinions Please

I'm almost done with my academy and am searching for a place to hold my commission. I'm interested in getting into a reserve program in Houston. I was looking at HCSO as they have a relatively well developed reserve program. So here are my questions:

1) Has anyone had interactions with their reserves?
    2) Do the reserves get treated well? The same as other officers?
    3) Do they actually have good opportunities (same as other officers)?
    4) How strict are they with the hour/duty requirements?
    5) What benefits do you get from them that you wouldn't get from another dept?
    6) Any other depts. that you would recommend for reserve status?

I think that's all for now. If you are actually a reserve for HCSO, I would LOVE to hear from you so that I could get the "inside scoop."

THANKS

I don't work for Harris County but I inquired about it before obtaining commissioning elsewhere.

Last year, the county's HR dept. told me that if you have no experience or prior commissioning--regardless of the employment status you're seeking(reserve v. full time), Harris County does not accept TCLEOSE certifications from any other academies but thier own.

Regarding your questions:

1) Has anyone had interactions with their reserves?
    Each one I've met has been very professional.

2) Do the reserves get treated well? The same as other officers?
    For the most part yes. Mainly because reserves have to go through the county's academy like all other deputies. They get the same training have the same licensing requirments from TCLEOSE as any other peace officer in Texas.

3) Do they actually have good opportunities (same as other officers)?
    Generally, reserves are given first consideration for full time employment. But, in Harris County, a civil svc. agency, I'm sure it's a little different. Regardless, county LE requires "jail time" for newbies. Meaning, you likely won't be out on patrol until you serve time work in the jail. FTO patrol openings/opprotunities are posted within the county and you have to apply, then get on the waiting list, etc.

4) How strict are they with the hour/duty requirements?
    Don't know this one.

5) What benefits do you get from them that you wouldn't get from another dept?
    Reserves, serving as non-paid personnel, generally do not get county benefits. I'm quite sure this is true in Harris County but other agencies may be different.

6) Any other depts. that you would recommend for reserve status?
    Try some constables dept.'s in the area. I've been told they're good places to get your foot in the door.

I know a couple of officers who hold full-time jobs in other careers but work as reserve constables/officers/deputies until they can either 1) financially afford to become full-time officers, 2) just to stay licensed because they worked hard for thier commission and don't wanna loose it, or for a mirage of other reasons.

Good luck.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Comment

Harris County Reserves

I don't know if you have a particular part of the county you want to be involved in but I work for the Harris County Pct 4 Constable's Officeas a full time patrol deputy. Our reserve division is very active and does some good work. It might be worth looking into. HCSO is particular about what academy they will accept even for reserves. It really depends on what you want to do with your commission.

Comment

Hey TR,

How particular is HCCO 4 in its hiring process? I've known for a long time y'all have one of the most active patrol divisions that actually answer CFS that other constable agencies don't or won't. Is it pretty strict or kinda lax these days.
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

HCCO Pct 4

JSD73 We are the largest Constable's Office in the US and most of us are assigned to the Patrol Division. We work out of six different patrol offices and a training academy. Our hiring standards are currently being updated but overall we have a physical standards test, then the background and oral board then the polygraph. The process used to be fairly drawn out, it took me 11 months to get hired on. Now it seems like the process has been streamlined a little and it is only taking about 2 months max for the complete process. We are constantly growing so fast that we are always hiring. I think we have close to 20 openings right now.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of the help. I really do appreciate it. If anyone can think of any other things, please feel free to let me know!

Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6062 users online. 353 members and 5709 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X