300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reputable regional police academies

Are there certain academies that employers favor over others? I was wondering this because I have heard that many regional academies have much lower physical entrance/ exit requirements and firearms training standards than ours, however we all get the same license.

NCTCOG and Collin County are the favored around the metroplex. Tarrant County College is kind of a last resort. I know several agencies that will not use them at all for various reasons. I think Dallas County SO also has an academy that some agencies use.

I don't think any of these academies are just brutal as far as PT, but they all pretty much stick to the same curriculum that TCLEOSE mandates for training hours. Each academy has to be certified, and TCLEOSE has to have a copy of exactly what is being taught, and how much time is devoted to each topic.

Comment

COG at Arlington is very reputable.
      Romans 13:4 "For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil."

Comment

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by TPO
        NCTCOG and Collin County are the favored around the metroplex. Tarrant County College is kind of a last resort. I know several agencies that will not use them at all for various reasons.
        I went to Collin County, self-sponsored. I'm not in the Metroplex anymore, and from what the cops around here say about their academies, I think I got a better preparation at CC. Also, it was a friggin' steal- about half the price of a nearby comm. college.
        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Collin County will be your best choice for self sponsored in North Texas. COG has been limited to department sponsored for a few years now. Most of the D/FW departments (except Dallas, Garland, and Ft Worth) send the bulk of their recruit officers there. I think McKinney PD sends theirs to Collin County.

Comment

COG was allowing non-paid agency sponsorship until about 2 years ago. I was teaching a class on the driving track. COG sent the non-paid recruits out in their personal vehicles. The airport (where the class is taught) put an immediate halt to it. After that, I remember Karyn saying that was the last class where they would have non-paid sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by TPO
              NCTCOG and Collin County are the favored around the metroplex. Tarrant County College is kind of a last resort. I know several agencies that will not use them at all for various reasons. I think Dallas County SO also has an academy that some agencies use.

I don't think any of these academies are just brutal as far as PT, but they all pretty much stick to the same curriculum that TCLEOSE mandates for training hours. Each academy has to be certified, and TCLEOSE has to have a copy of exactly what is being taught, and how much time is devoted to each topic.
              There is a pretty big difference between COG and DSO. DSO has much a much more stringent PT program and it is more of the boot camp style than COG.

Comment

Cedar Valley College

I went to Cedar Valley College we had the curriculum plus mandatory pt 3x a week. paid about 1100.00 for classes and spent around 2500 in total for books, duty gear, and other stuff.

I'm moving out of metroplex also and from what I hear also Im better trained than some other the other rookies that are already there. So will see but that is my spill.
                "If you want forgiveness go get some religion"

Comment

Originally posted by jmorill
                  I went to Cedar Valley College we had the curriculum plus mandatory pt 3x a week. paid about 1100.00 for classes and spent around 2500 in total for books, duty gear, and other stuff.

I'm moving out of metroplex also and from what I hear also Im better trained than some other the other rookies that are already there. So will see but that is my spill.
                  How long ago did you goto this academy?

Comment

Originally posted by dfwblue
                    How long ago did you goto this academy?
                    just graduated n Jan. of 07

Comment

just graduated n Jan. of 07
                      Thats cool. Did the Sgt. Major wear ya'll out?

Comment

Originally posted by dfwblue
                        Thats cool. Did the Sgt. Major wear ya'll out?
                        yup did he get to you guys yet if he hasnt he will. he will break out the m-14 and make you run a couple of miles with them over your head. just one of his many games. He will get more work out from you in 15 minutes than a usual 1hr would take.

Comment

yup did he get to you guys yet if he hasnt he will. he will break out the m-14 and make you run a couple of miles with them over your head. just one of his many games. He will get more work out from you in 15 minutes than a usual 1hr would take.
                          Nah, I don't goto Cedar Valley. I have heard of his workouts though. Easy to believe, he is a monster.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6399 users online. 364 members and 6035 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X