300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• websites

What websites do you guys use for finding a job in Texas? Currently I live in MN and looking to start a career in law enforcement. What kind of requirements do you need to be a police officer in Texas. I have a 2 year degree in law enforcement and I passed the Minnesota license exam.

Thanks for the help.

You'll either have to go thru an academy here or you can challenge TCLEOSE (Texas Commision on Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education). Some departments will send you to an academy and others want you already certified.

TML.ORG is a decent place to find who is hiring in Tx.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Here is the direct link to TML. There are a lot that advertise in newspapers though, and don't post to TML. Find a few you want and check their websites. Some of the bigger agencies have recruiting pages.

http://www.tml.org/classifieds/classifieds_police.html

Comment

Oh yeah, there is also a police newspaper that advertises

www.thebluesnews.com

Comment

You get three shots to pass TCLEOSE - if you passed yours, you really just need to study the penal code and traffic, I would guess.

Do you want big or little? If little, PM me. My small town dosen't pay like the big boys, but it's getting better and the cost of living is pretty cheap. I'm better off than if I had gotten Dallas at 38-40K, I think.
          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

i don't know. a handful of agencies around here are starting over $50K. that's not a bad deal for a beat cop.

Comment

Thanks for your guy's help. It's a tough decision whether or not to apply down there. All my family is up here and I don't know anyone down there. So I think I need to take some more time to think about it.

Comment

Texas is a great place, but it's a long way from minnesota. besides, you yanks talk funny.

Comment

especially minnehsohtans!

that was my Minnesotan accent btw.

Comment

Thanks

im going to test out...im from missouri..i just moved here and going to start the 120 hour corse that is now mandated...it sux..cause its online...no one in the dfw offers the course... but i went to our links and they will help..im appling at samson park pd for dispatcher hopefully i get it, ill be in a department then just stay there for a while, and hopefully make road full time when im certified...thanks for the info and if any more send it this way..
                    thanks
                    chris
                    --Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6--

"In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC"

Comment

Originally posted by cmv_5
                      im going to test out...im from missouri..i just moved here and going to start the 120 hour corse that is now mandated...it sux..cause its online...no one in the dfw offers the course... but i went to our links and they will help..im appling at samson park pd for dispatcher hopefully i get it, ill be in a department then just stay there for a while, and hopefully make road full time when im certified...thanks for the info and if any more send it this way..
                      thanks
                      chris
                      umm, have you actually checked out the agency you intend to apply? i don't know if SANSOM park would be very high on my list of desired agencies; probably more like last.

Comment

Originally posted by TPO
                        umm, have you actually checked out the agency you intend to apply? i don't know if SANSOM park would be very high on my list of desired agencies; probably more like last.
                        Hell I have never even heard of it till you made a comment about it. After looking it up, you would think there would be better choices.

Comment

Originally posted by dfwblue
                          Hell I have never even heard of it till you made a comment about it. After looking it up, you would think there would be better choices.
                          yep. far better choices. not that everyone who works there is a bad cop, but they don't pay good, and their equipment/facilities suck, so they take what they can get, and that generally equates to people who can't seem to get a job anywhere else. any time someone mentions sansom park, you'll usually hear the story about someone getting shot for running a stop sign.

if someone wants that side of town, i'd suggest at least lake worth. even westworth village is starting to come up in the world since the military opened up that land for them to develop for commercial. river oaks probably wouldn't be bad, but again, the pay is on the lower end of the scale.

i honestly think anyone looking for a job in police work should be picky about where they go. when i started, i paid my own way through the academy, and took what i could get, because i grew up in a rural area where that's what cops did to get a job. one department i worked for early on was struggling to get out of some bad press. they're a good department now, but i had to deal with a lot of awkward questions about those of whom preceeded me there, of which i had no knowledge of.

if i had it to do over again, i'd have applied until i found an agency willing to pay my way. the intent shouldn't be to get on somewhere just to get your foot in the door so you can move on to bigger and better things. you should be applying to places where you really want to go, somewhere you want to promote, and where you could see yourself either being the chief, or retiring there.

on the other hand, my previous experience is what contributed to the circumstances where i find myself now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3648 users online. 181 members and 3467 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X