300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I appeal

I applied for San Antonio police department. I received an email stating I was disqualified because I wasn't finically responsible. I have 3 things against which I can explain.
    1- bankruptcy. My wife lost her job and I had to file chapter 13 in order to keep my house. It was discharged.
    2- child support arrears. My sons mother decided to wait till he was 15 to put me on child support which this automatically put me behind. I have been making payments since I was put on child support.
    3-. Foreclosure. I moved to San Antonio and left my aunt the house. She was supposed to continue to make payments on the house then eventually but it. She stopped making payments and before I knew it the house was in foreclosure. It's not like I could go by there. The house was 17 hours away.
    Is it even worth appealing?
    News, email and search are just the beginning. Discover more every day. Find your yodel.

There are generally two grounds upon which you can successfully base an appeal:

1. They made an error in their investigation and you do not meet the criteria for disqualification, or

2. The criteria for disqualification has no reasonable relationship to the position being sought.

Which one fits your situation?
    Last edited by L-1; 11-18-2017, 01:17 PM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by B1GL View Post
      I applied for San Antonio police department. I received an email stating I was disqualified because I wasn't finically responsible. I have 3 things against which I can explain.
      1- bankruptcy. My wife lost her job and I had to file chapter 13 in order to keep my house. It was discharged.
      2- child support arrears. My sons mother decided to wait till he was 15 to put me on child support which this automatically put me behind. I have been making payments since I was put on child support.
      3-. Foreclosure. I moved to San Antonio and left my aunt the house. She was supposed to continue to make payments on the house then eventually but it. She stopped making payments and before I knew it the house was in foreclosure. It's not like I could go by there. The house was 17 hours away.
      Number 1 and 2 may not be held against you, depending on the circumstances.

But number 3? That's about as financially irresponsible as it gets. How can you be unaware that your aunt stopped making YOUR mortgage payments? How can you be unaware that the bank had filed for foreclosure? How can you be unaware of the Sheriff's sale? Foreclosures typically take as much as a year or longer from the first missed payment to the Sheriff's sale. There are multiple notices along the way, and you're given plenty of opportunities along the way to avoid foreclosure.

Even if your aunt agreed to make the payments it is still YOUR loan and YOUR debt...and YOU should have been aware of what was going on with YOUR property. You never checked your monthly mortgage statements? You never contacted your bank? Your bank never contacted you? You never bothered telling them your new address and contact information? You never checked your credit report? NOTHING??

Your excuse is that the house was 17 hours away so you couldn't go by there?? In this day and age financial matters can so easily be handled online and even from a smartphone. There is ZERO excuse for being unaware of missed mortgage payments or an impending foreclosure.

Sounds like the department had a legitimate reason to disqualify you. Good luck convincing the appeal board that they didn't.

Comment

You’re done. Find another career. Long shot that you’ll be a viable candidate for any agency for at least the next 7 to 10 years.
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

But but but....I’m special. I’m not responsible, someone else always is...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The mail never came to me. All the mail went to her.
            Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

• Lady Blue
              Lady Blue commented
              Editing a comment
              And whose fault is that? Even if she had agreed to make the payments it is your responsibility to insure that she follows through. That means following up with the lending institution, making sure that they have a way to reach you in the event of unforeseen problems, etc.

Well.....if you don't appeal you have been washed out of the applicant pool. If you appeal and they uphold their disqualification even after you explain the circumstances... you are washed out of the applicant pool. It seems like you have nothing to lose. Good luck.
            "Always remember to use all fingers when waving at a Police Officer!"

Comment

The mail never came to me. All the mail went to her.
              That's my point. When you moved YOU should have notified YOUR bank/mortgage company of YOUR new address and contact information so they can contact YOU about YOUR loan.

YOU also should have signed up for online banking/mobile banking and checked YOUR bank statements and mortgage statements and kept track of YOUR finances.

You're a grown man with a son that's almost an adult...but you can't manage your own finances? Instead you blame it on your aunt? Learn to take responsibility for your actions (and failures).

Edited to add: For the record, my department HAS hired applicants with a bankruptcy or foreclosure on their record. They aren't always the result of irresponsibility. However, we have NEVER hired anyone who didn't even realize his house was being foreclosed on...
              Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 11-18-2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Appeal. If they're interested in hearing your explanations, provide them. In the meantime, apply elsewhere. If law enforcement is something you're determined to do, don't let anyone convince you to give up.

Comment

Dude, almost everyone that applies has financial issues, even current officers do. Some worse than others and I am definitely no exception. From my view and I am not familiar with SAPD so I am going off your reasons for the DQ; number 3 is a tough hurdle bro...I can see 1 and 2 was probably due to unfortunate circumstances but a loan/mortgage is you're responsibility especially if its in your name. Realize that Police depts are government agencies that do not operate on stuff that isn't written down on some official document. In the agencies I've applied too, I told them that I maxed out 3 credit cards BUT I have a plan and currently paying them off. One agency rejected me but the other two let me go on in the process. No big deal, I know the kind of person I am versus some stranger and I didn't make excuses (namely because I didn't have any lol). And don't let others discourage you if you really wanna be a leo.
                  Last edited by Homeboy990; 12-10-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4883 users online. 274 members and 4609 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X