X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding becoming a police officer

Hello everyone,

first time poster, first time reader.

My my question is this. Can I become a police officer if I have a domestic assault charge? This was 3 years ago. The charges were dropped. There have been no other issues.

Thanks in advance!

The fact that the charges were dropped is meaningless. Instead, it will depend on what you actually did (or didn't do) during this incident. Prior conduct can meet the criteria for disqualification without a conviction. Similarly, some arrests have been made based on a mistake of fact where no wrongdoing took place on the part of the arrestee.

It just depends on what actually happened.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Google Brady.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew126 View Post
        Hello everyone,

first time poster, first time reader.

My my question is this. Can I become a police officer if I have a domestic assault charge? This was 3 years ago. The charges were dropped. There have been no other issues.

Thanks in advance!
        What is the entire story behind the domestic assault charge?

Comment

I think most veteran Police Officers would agree with me on this statement....in order to have any real shot of getting hired as a Police Officer it's within your very best interest to get a lawyer and get that expunged from your record. Even after that, you also better be ready to explain the situation and don't leave it out of your background.
          "Always remember to use all fingers when waving at a Police Officer!"

Comment

I had a buddy who was trying to do a lateral to San Antonio PD, and they DOGGED him out royally because he had a 911 call from his house by his wife during a verbal argument. I don't remember the details, but I don't think the department who responded even did a report, and the only record of the incident was in Dispatch CAD notes. He is now a lieutenant of the department I retired from, but he was a super cop, SWAT and great sergeant. Any agency would have been blessed having him.

I don't know how many other departments he applied to since he and his wife wanted to relocate several years ago, but I remember he was pretty much blackballed due to that one call...even though there were never any laws broken or charges filed.

Every department is different so there is no harm trying to follow your LE desire. Just realize, departments want to minimize liability so they want officers who make good decisions during times of stress, which is the regular working environment during many calls for service.

Comment

I think it's going to be a major hurdle. That the charges were dropped is pretty much irrelevant. Most domestic violence charges are dropped, and it's not a sign of innocence. I would not be convinced unless the victim was later convicted of false report.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3659 users online. 180 members and 3479 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X