300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bravotoskinner View Post
    How do you view your progrees? Like how do you see what stage your in on the dps website? Documents phase, written test phase etc.
    governmentjobs.com

Comment

Just did the rower and written tests today. Just a reminder... The math portion is hard to finish in 45 minutes!! I know others have said this already. Practice lots of multiplication and 3 digit addition and subtraction to build speed.
      the dream is damned
      and dreamer too
      if dreaming's all
      that dreamers do
      -Rory Miller

Comment

• MaddenKing
        MaddenKing commented
        Editing a comment
        How did you do Ghunter if you don't mind me asking? Im still holding off on testing because I'm still not completely confident in my rowing score.

• Ghunter87
        Ghunter87 commented
        Editing a comment
        I got 92% on the rower. Practicing the interval workout they suggest for the rower helps, and crossfit has helped a lot too.
        But also, losing weight helps- the less you weigh, the more time you get. Losing 5 pounds bumped my percentile two points higher than otherwise.

I believe the tester said that for a recent academy, those with a final cumulative score for the rower, written, and oral exams of 85% or more (who passed polygraph and background of course) we all admitted.
        So he was strongly suggesting to try to at least make 85% on the rower and everything else.

• armymikeymike
        armymikeymike commented
        Editing a comment
        Ghunter87 are you saying they said if you have 85% or higher on everything, altogether were all admitted to the academy? I assume "we all admitted" is a typo meant for "were all admitted".

Appreciate the information, and congrats on a good score. Would you mostly do just the tabata (interval) sprints or was it just a small part of your workout? I do them once a week, but it is always such a short workout. I finish within five minutes, then I am too tired to do anything else. A few questions for you if you don't mind. When you were weighed was it with your shoes on or off? Also on the rower was the screen set to "watts" like i've read on other threads or was the average for 500 M displayed? I am still about 30 seconds from scoring 85% on the rower, but I am confident I can get there within 4-6 weeks. The testing deadline is still 3 months away, but I am getting antsy about testing as soon as possible.

Comment

• Ghunter87
        Ghunter87 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did a bit of everything- crossfit for overall fitness, running for endurance, and rowing.
        Yes, screen has to be on watts. I asked if I could change it and he said no. There went all my planning for watching the 500m times. :-/ Its the detailed watts screen so you do get the estimated completion time for the 2000m row. That was helpful.
        I took my shoes off and emptied my pockets for the scale. One of the other guys kept his on. I guess either works.

Record yourself rowing if there's no mirror nearby. Form makes a huge difference. If you're leaning back while you pull that greatly reduces your overall pull. The concept2 website has a video about common errors in form.

And then two more thoughts- one, practice air squats. Think of the leg work in rowing as a squat exercise. If you get a little under 10m per pull, you're looking at around 300 pulls total. So work up to 300 air squats in a workout. (Google murph, if 300 squats doesn't ring a bell ;-)
        If you can do 300 air squats back to back, you know your legs can push hard the entire 2000m row.
        A good squat pushes through the heels. I feel the rower should be the same, although I see a lot of people pushing off with the balls of their feet.

And second, try for the absolute fastest 500m you can do. It's a brutal sprint. Then take 10-15 seconds off that time, and try to row 2000m at that pace (not the same day!). That's how I set my goal for the exam.

• MaddenKing
        MaddenKing commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the helpful info once again Ghunter. I've never rowed with the watts screen, but as long as estimated completion time is there I think I'll be fine.
        Im glad there is an option to take off your shoes, those 2-3 seconds could make all the difference ha.

I've never recorded myself, but I'll definitely do that this upcoming week.
        300 air squats sounds brutal i'll get right on it. I feel like lack of leg power definitely affects my overall time.

One last question did you get a personal best when you tested? Everyone says the adrenaline will push you to a personal best, but with how I felt the last time I tested I don't know if that is possible.

• Ghunter87
        Ghunter87 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I actually did beat my PR by 14 seconds. But I don't think it was adrenaline as much as it was the progress I'd made over the last few weeks. I ate a good dinner the day before, went to bed at 8, and did a short warmup workout the morning of before reporting in at 7.
        It wasn't adrenaline as much as me just telling myself 'youve worked too hard to finally get here and then let yourself down'

Does anyone know how much a part education plays? For example, if someone has an associate's degree will that make them less-competitive than someone with a master's degree? Also, any clarification on veteran's preference?

Comment

After you pass your polygraph how long does it usually take for you to know if your moving to the next step?

Comment

I did my polygraph last Wednesday and my status still says polygraph testing phase.

Comment

• MaddieD15
            MaddieD15 commented
            Editing a comment
            bravotoskinner .. i took my polygraph test last Thursday and my status still says polygraph testing phase as well .. the agent who did my polygraph exam told me it would be a couple weeks before i was told my next step.

Hey yall I put in an application for the B18 class. just want to see if anyone has heard the same thing I have. alright I was told by my recruiter that pretty soon they are getting rid of the row for the application process and soon after that in the academy as well to be replaced with the traditional mile and a half run push ups and sit ups, no numbers as of yet. this was told to me by two recruiters out of the Houston area. Also anyone else type their self evaluation survey?

Comment

How far are you in the process? I didn't do a self evaluation survey. Yes my recruiter in Garland said the same thing about them getting rid of the tower.

Comment

Rower I meant.

Comment

Its the RC-5 Self evaluation questionnaire. asking you things like Why do you want to be a trooper what are some reservations about the academy ect.

Comment

Is anyone here in the Dps- A2018 groupme chat? If it is still a thing, I'd like to join.

Comment

B-2018

I passed my physical and both written tests this past Tuesday. Just waiting on the call for the poly.

Comment

I applied for the E 2017 school and made it all the way down to final file review then the school got cancelled. Got rolled over to the A2018 school and still waiting for an email to reschedule medical and psych test due to expire.

Comment

I applied for B-2018 and I took my physical and written test in early June, also took my polygraph as well in the same month and got NDI.. after taking the poly my status changed the next day to pending oral board and this was on 6/23... Has anyone recieved an email and has been scheduled yet for their oral board or still seeing no activity.

Comment

• troopersota
                          troopersota commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey Marsave! Just curious if you ever got scheduled. I passed my poly on 7/25 and my application was updated to "Pending Oral Board" on 8/10, still haven't been scheduled yet.

If anyone has gone through the process, How does the polygraph steps go? Is it hard? What questions do you typically get asked?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10922 users online. 471 members and 10451 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X