300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plano P.D.

Looks like Plano is testing...just looking for feedback on this dept? Just from viewing their website, they appear to be squared away..salary, equipment, retirement etc...

Any comments?

Pretty much sums it up. I live a few miles from Plano and they have the best gear I've ever seen and some very professional officers. The city is very rich on the west side and relatively poor on the east.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

It all depends on what kind of work you want to do police wise. If you're looking to be gung ho and go out and "fight crime" it's not really the best city I've been told. It's a really wealthy city, a lot of politics, and according to a plano cop I talked to the atmosphere at the pd is somewhat "hands off".

Comment

Best Gear, Best Pay. Very hard to get into. Community policing mindset. Professional Cops.
        Romans 13:4 "For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil."

Comment

Thanks for the replies..now is Frisco PD. fairly similar to Plano? Anyone applying with Plano?

Comment

Frisco is growing like a weed and doesn't have the crime problems that Plano does. Most of the crime in Frisco is related to theft from open garages and from the new housing going in. Great city though if your married. Not much night life at all.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Paywise both Plano and Frisco are two of the top paying departments in DFW area. Both have top of the line equipment, and Officers get alot of schools and training. Plano is hard to get into, and has a huge turnout on tests. I knew a guy that went and took the test, 400 - 500 plus at times going for a few openings......

Comment

Originally posted by Matto
                It all depends on what kind of work you want to do police wise. If you're looking to be gung ho and go out and "fight crime" it's not really the best city I've been told. It's a really wealthy city, a lot of politics, and according to a plano cop I talked to the atmosphere at the pd is somewhat "hands off".
                Completely FALSE Just my opinion from first hand experience.

I enjoy working there, great working conditions, and good co-workers. I would recommend the place to anyone.

Comment

Has anyone else here signed up for the exam? Are there really 400-500 people typically at each test? I know that around 90 made it to the eligibility list last time. Anyone have any idea of a range of recruits Plano will be looking for?
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                    Pretty much sums it up. I live a few miles from Plano and they have the best gear I've ever seen and some very professional officers. The city is very rich on the west side and relatively poor on the east.
                    i lived in plano for five years. seems like only part of the east side is relatively poor, maybe from parker/jupiter spreading southeast. But a comment on the officers. top of the line all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by BP03
                      Has anyone else here signed up for the exam? Are there really 400-500 people typically at each test? I know that around 90 made it to the eligibility list last time. Anyone have any idea of a range of recruits Plano will be looking for?
                      Thanks.
                      A few years ago when the minimum requirements 45 Semester College hours, yes there were 400-500 applicants for a test. When the college credit hours were bumped up to 60 hours those numbers dropped to about 200-300. Under the current requirements of a college degree (no police/military experience) or 60 hrs( 3 yrs police / 3yrs military active duty) the numbers have been about 150-250 applicants for the test. The May test is being held a much smaller venue than the previous tests so I dont think there is an expectation for a mammoth turnout. I cant provide any specific information as far as how many positions are currently open.

Comment

Originally posted by Northtechsan
                        A few years ago when the minimum requirements 45 Semester College hours, yes there were 400-500 applicants for a test. When the college credit hours were bumped up to 60 hours those numbers dropped to about 200-300. Under the current requirements of a college degree (no police/military experience) or 60 hrs( 3 yrs police / 3yrs military active duty) the numbers have been about 150-250 applicants for the test. The May test is being held a much smaller venue than the previous tests so I dont think there is an expectation for a mammoth turnout. I cant provide any specific information as far as how many positions are currently open.
                        Thanks for the information.
                        Do you have an suggestions of what to study for the civil service exam besides maybe a SAT study guide? I understand it is just a general aptitude exam...
                        Also, I'm assuming that there is no "second chance" in the physical test if you say...get nervous and are unable to complete your bench press on the first try... Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by BP03
                          Thanks for the information.
                          Do you have an suggestions of what to study for the civil service exam besides maybe a SAT study guide? I understand it is just a general aptitude exam...
                          Also, I'm assuming that there is no "second chance" in the physical test if you say...get nervous and are unable to complete your bench press on the first try... Is that correct?
                          Any Police Exam study test book will be helpful. Its an aptitude test geared towards police work. When I took the PFT it was at the end of the process after the conditional. They have since changed it because many applicants failed after the dept spent money on Polygraph, Psych, and the BI. Bench press was one attempt, machine based.

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day...I'm excited. I hope I can fall asleep...I plan on waking up at 6:30am or so.

While being back in town I've noticed that police visibility seems to have increased since the last time I was here. That's great. I would say that I probably see 3-4 police cars everyday. I've also noticed a few large spherical cameras on top of cars. Northtechsan- are those just for providing better recordings than dash cams, or is there something else that they do differently/better?

Comment

Large spherical cameras?? Don't know about up there but down here those are night vision or thermal cameras.
                              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5104 users online. 176 members and 4928 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X