No announcement yet.

TCOLE acceptance of foreign degrees


300x250 Mobile

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TCOLE acceptance of foreign degrees

    So I'm very interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement after I hopefully acquire US citizenship next year.

    The biggest issue right now is that several of the departments I'm interested in applying to have either a college hours requirement or a Bachelor's/Associate's requirement.

    I'm a Brit and didn't go to school here, but have a BA from an accredited British university.

    When I posed the question of whether my degree would be acceptable to one of those agencies that has a Bachelor's requirement, they replied telling me they go by TCOLE's definition of "accredited college or university" which states:

    An institution of higher education that is accredited or authorized by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, or an international college or university evaluated and accepted by a United States accredited college or university.
    (emphasis added)

    The department told me the only way they knew to get around this would be to enroll in a Master's program which would force the American university to "evaluate" my foreign Bachelor's.

    Does anyone have any input on this? Has anyone done this? Is there some easier way to somehow get my Bachelor's to be accepted by TCOLE and Texas police agencies?

    Perhaps I'm just out of luck, and any departments that have college hours or degree requirements would be closed to me? That would bum me out.

    Some of the departments I'm interested in do waive the college requirements with 2 or 3 years of continuous police service with another agency, but the ones I'm particularly interested in do not.
    Last edited by Gaff; 02-01-2017, 05:07 AM.

  • #2
    There are some great departments in the Dallas area that are civil service that do not require college, you can always hire on with one of them, go through the academy, get commissioned and work for at least 2 years. Figure out your college issue while you are here and working for a department and getting experience. Who knows, you might like the department you started with and stay with them. As long as the department is TMRS, your retirement will follow you.


    • #3
      You can have your transcripts evaluated by an institution or service that does this for a fee.


      • #4
        It might be easier if you personally took the time to look for the list of international colleges or universities that are accepted by a United States accredited college or university. It took me less that three minutes to determine there are 12 institutions of higher learning in the UK whose degree programs are recognized in the United States.

        A good cop (or police candidate) knows how to investigate.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere


        • #5
          Or that...yeah...


          MR300x250 Tablet


          What's Going On


          There are currently 2916 users online. 141 members and 2775 guests.

          Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

          Welcome Ad