Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To piggback on what cpd2010 has said : I applied to Dallas from out of state, and had two Class B misdemeanors from high school, from the same incident, that I was worried about (I was 18 my senior year). I called multiple times and even emailed back and forth with the recruiting department to make sure I wasn't wasting my time and money flying out. They said absolutely not, you will be fine. My charges were 15 years ago, I spent 14 of that time in between in the military, most in Special Operations, speak Spanish, have a degree, am a nationally registered paramedic, and still have an active Top Secret security clearance.

Even with me experience, and what the recruiter had told me, on Day 1 of the four day hiring process, they DQ me and kick me out of the building.

I got hired on with Arlington PD here in the metroplex just a few months later, who I would argue have some of the highest hiring standards in the area, and require a Bachelors degree.

Point is, don't get discouraged if you get kicked to the curb, and if you have ANY criminal record, to include misdemeanors, dropped charges, arrests, etc., I would strongly advise not to waste your money flying out to test, despite whatever the recruiters tell you. I was pretty upset at first, but looking at it now, and talking to our recruiting section, DPD is so short on bodies, and are testing so many candidates, they just don't have the time to pick through individual cases to see if they want someone. Does that mean they might miss out on some candidates with a great skill set or other things that bring to the table, sure. But it also allows them to quickly process hundreds of applicants to fill the upcoming classes, without having to doing in depth BI to get to the bottom of misdemeanors, dropped charges, converting out of state charges to Texas offenses, yada yada yada. Why waste time researching a candidate with any history whatsoever, when they have 900 other clean packets to choose from.

Just my two cents from personal experience.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Comment

• Originally posted by _JohnnyUtah View Post
      To piggback on what cpd2010 has said : I applied to Dallas from out of state, and had two Class B misdemeanors from high school, from the same incident, that I was worried about (I was 18 my senior year). I called multiple times and even emailed back and forth with the recruiting department to make sure I wasn't wasting my time and money flying out. They said absolutely not, you will be fine. My charges were 15 years ago, I spent 14 of that time in between in the military, most in Special Operations, speak Spanish, have a degree, am a nationally registered paramedic, and still have an active Top Secret security clearance.

Even with me experience, and what the recruiter had told me, on Day 1 of the four day hiring process, they DQ me and kick me out of the building.

I got hired on with Arlington PD here in the metroplex just a few months later, who I would argue have some of the highest hiring standards in the area, and require a Bachelors degree.

Point is, don't get discouraged if you get kicked to the curb, and if you have ANY criminal record, to include misdemeanors, dropped charges, arrests, etc., I would strongly advise not to waste your money flying out to test, despite whatever the recruiters tell you. I was pretty upset at first, but looking at it now, and talking to our recruiting section, DPD is so short on bodies, and are testing so many candidates, they just don't have the time to pick through individual cases to see if they want someone. Does that mean they might miss out on some candidates with a great skill set or other things that bring to the table, sure. But it also allows them to quickly process hundreds of applicants to fill the upcoming classes, without having to doing in depth BI to get to the bottom of misdemeanors, dropped charges, converting out of state charges to Texas offenses, yada yada yada. Why waste time researching a candidate with any history whatsoever, when they have 900 other clean packets to choose from.

Just my two cents from personal experience.
      Yes I agree with all of this, just keep trying and never be discouraged.
      Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

• Well I heard that there is a new class starting, 09/27/17. If your cleared through the BG then you may have received a call by now. If not keep by your phone and check your email. Please be prepared for a ton of stuff that you may or may not like. Its no joke here, the worse thing you can do is start out and get DQ'ed for something small, follow the rules. If you have ANY questions please please feel free to contact me I will give you all the advice I have. Good luck to all!!!!
        Last edited by cpd2010*; 09-09-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• They're going to be testing out in different cities for phase 1.
          Last edited by PHX956; 04-05-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• I passed everything in El Paso so not sure if I want to go with Dallas even though I passed everything!
            Last edited by PHX956; 04-05-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• congrats! a background guy will contact you once he/she starts on your file. and then tell you when/if you need to come back out here for the psych and medical.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpd2010* View Post
                congrats! a background guy will contact you once he/she starts on your file. and then tell you when/if you need to come back out here for the psych and medical.
                Yeah that makes sense, do you like the department?
                Last edited by PHX956; 04-05-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• poly is done when you test here over the weekend. once your background is completed then you will be asked to come out for a medical and psych. and then once those r passed you get the offer of employment. for me, i took my medical and poly on a thursday/friday and then saturday he called me.

Comment

• Navystatus
                    Navystatus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    my background Investigator told me that she submitted my file to her chain of command sept 3. She took approximately 8 weeks to complete my background. How soon should I hear something if her chain of command approved my packet. It has been 3 weeks since

• i like the dept so far. its like any other dept that has some issues but we have a new police chief who is already making positive changes. so im gonna be with this dept for the duration i think.

Comment

• So I did the interview, PT Test, background questionnaire and entrance exam in El Paso. Does that mean I'll have to knock out everything that's left in Dallas? Also, random question, what determines which division you get assigned to upon graduation from the Academy? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Division upon graduation? Good ole founding block of any PD....Patrol.
                      "Always remember to use all fingers when waving at a Police Officer!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Venutis1 View Post
                        So I did the interview, PT Test, background questionnaire and entrance exam in El Paso. Does that mean I'll have to knock out everything that's left in Dallas? Also, random question, what determines which division you get assigned to upon graduation from the Academy? Thanks in advance.
                        Yeah everything else will be in Dallas. I think I saw you at the college campus.
                        Last edited by PHX956; 04-05-2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Venutis1
                          Venutis1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We probably did! Good job on the exam bro, I got a 100, so hopefully we are at the top of the list. Has recruiting contacted you in reference to when we have to go to Dallas to finish everything up?

• PHX956
                          PHX956 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Venutis1

Good luck!
                          Last edited by PHX956; 04-05-2018, 04:58 PM.

• Originally posted by Venutis1 View Post
                        So I did the interview, PT Test, background questionnaire and entrance exam in El Paso. Does that mean I'll have to knock out everything that's left in Dallas? Also, random question, what determines which division you get assigned to upon graduation from the Academy? Thanks in advance.
                        !) The needs if the Department; there are 7 Divisions throughout Dallas. 2) Your wishlist; listing the 7 Divisions in the order of your presence.
                        Bum (09/85-Present)

Comment

• Venutis1
                          Venutis1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Okay, thanks. Are some divisions better than others? And does anyone know how long you have to wait after the academy to go out for SWAT or K9? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for yalls time!

• BadJuJu85
                          BadJuJu85 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Depends on what you want to do as an officer. Certain divisions have certain types of crime.

Moving to a specialized assignment takes time. Minimum requirement is about 4 years on. SWAT have tryouts every so often.

• Originally posted by PHX956 View Post

Maybe we've met, I also tested in El Paso same time as you and passed it all. GL! I just got my score yesterday for the written and I got a 97%

and by division do you mean which section of the city you work? I think that's what he meant WillyWonka
                        Dallas refers to the substations as Division or Channel i.e. Central, Northeast, Southeast, etc. It's the equivalent of a District or Precinct.

All other jobs fall under a Bureau i.e. Administrative, Support, Investigative, etc...
                        Bum (09/85-Present)

Comment

• Hey I've been following this thread since my process. Just got done the background check and scheduled my medical and psych. Just a few questions, how long do they give people to move to Dallas before academy starts?
                          The big question I have here is the eye exam for medical part. I am pretty sure uncorrected my vision is worse than 20/100, I didn't realize that requirement was there until now. Do they really disqualify people for that? I have contacts that work for me great, I'd just hate to not be able to join because of my eyes, this is a life long goal of mine and have a BS in CrimJ. I do the medical testing next week and now I'm super nervous... thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10120 users online. 238 members and 9882 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X