300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas PD - Sponsorship

I will be applying to the department, but I will be an out of state applicant. Any advice or insight to the application process? Academy?
    Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

So what's going on with Dallas PD? Are they still hiring in high numbers? What about the pension problem that I keep hearing about? When is their next academy?

Comment

The department is looking to hire hundreds of recruits. We are ungodly short staffed and we're looking at losing a lot more. this probably looks great when you are wanting to be a cop. It's a big city with a lot of crime. They will tell you there are endless opportunities to transfer to k9 , narcotics or air 1. That isn't true . No one is leaving patrol because we don't have enough people in patrol. You have to ask yourself why people are leaving . It's pay, pension, working conditions, and the way the city treats us.
      Once upon a time this was a great place to work . We still have great officers , we are very well trained and it can still be fun, especially if you don't have the good old days to compare it to.
      I'd you apply , consider making this a stepping stone . This isn't the place to stay in the moment and things are looking to get a whole lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by formerdispatcher View Post
        The department is looking to hire hundreds of recruits. We are ungodly short staffed and we're looking at losing a lot more. this probably looks great when you are wanting to be a cop. It's a big city with a lot of crime. They will tell you there are endless opportunities to transfer to k9 , narcotics or air 1. That isn't true . No one is leaving patrol because we don't have enough people in patrol. You have to ask yourself why people are leaving . It's pay, pension, working conditions, and the way the city treats us.
        Once upon a time this was a great place to work . We still have great officers , we are very well trained and it can still be fun, especially if you don't have the good old days to compare it to.
        I'd you apply , consider making this a stepping stone . This isn't the place to stay in the moment and things are looking to get a whole lot worse.
        Didn't they recently approve raises?

Comment

Yes they did but DPD guys are still leaving. I think they lost close to 100 cops in the past quarter.

Comment

They call it a raise. We were denied step raises for 3 years and will get 2 of those back in 3 years. A 9 or 10 year officer still makes well below what a suburb officer starts off at. You used to be able to say we got lower pay for a great retirement but you can't say that anymore.

Comment

i just want a chance. IL departments are just as bad it sounds like.

Comment

I moved from Illinois to here . Never applied there but know your have a lot of applicants for one position. At least up there you have a union, know that Texas is a right to work state and know that does not help us when it comes to pay and benefits.

Comment

This is why I am done with IL. 400+ applications for 1 job. IL is an at will state so they dont need a reason to fire me. Unions arent all theyre cracked up to be. But Some are strong some are weak.

Comment

Be that as it may, I wish we had then down here.

Comment

Disregard...
                      Last edited by southpaw1; 01-13-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

southpaw1 I am not sure yet because until I send some documents they don't give u a test date. The estimated dates are beg and mid Feb. Damn transcripts take forever. I agree. I've been to so many exams I lost count. And each is either hiring 1 or only making a list. Its becoming a money grabber honestly. Every Saturday you're testing some place. Power card after power card. Test after test. Obviously its something we want but you start to become discouraged from the lies.

Comment

CPD2010 I work up North and i was desperately trying to relocate to Texas. Traveled to the longhorn state and did ride alongs with a few PDs. A lot of Texas PDs (Big agencies) are a lot easier to get on because they are hiring more. Houston, Fort Worth are a few places i got a chance to do ride alongs and did extensive research. I liked both PDs (especially Houston) and I even ponder if I can make a move down south within the next year.

Highly recommend those two as far as big agencies. There are a plethora of great agencies in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area you will find interesting!

Comment

cpd2010* The process works. It just generally takes longer in IL but I see your point tho. Hopefully you have better luck in Texas! For transcripts, I try to go in person and request a few extra copies because eventually you'll need them at some point. I'm more worried that people won't take me serious down there with my blue collar South Side Chicago accent and all haha jk!

Comment

That's funny. People always say Chicagoan's have this strong accent. I don't hear it. lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5377 users online. 209 members and 5168 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X