NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[HELP] Houston Police Department hiring process Phase 2 (reading comprehension test)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HELP] Houston Police Department hiring process Phase 2 (reading comprehension test)

message deleted
    Last edited by StevenChau935; 12-22-2017, 09:11 PM.

1) yes
    2) yes
    3) it's a fairly easy test.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofc.ORM View Post
      1) yes
      2) yes
      3) it's a fairly easy test.

Comment

From what I know the answer is no. I'm not sure how long you are given to reapply again

Comment

Just don't over think it

Comment

Originally posted by Prez092093 View Post
            Just don't over think it

Comment

Originally posted by StevenChau935 View Post
              Hello, everyone.
              I have 3 questions related to Phase 2 in Houston Police Department hiring process.

1) Is the reading comprehension test is Denny Nelson test?
              2) Is that test is a passing or failing test?
              3) Is there any tricks or recommendation how to overcome the test.

Can I continue the hiring process if I fail the test?

Thank you.
              Dude,

Please forgive me as I am not trying to be rude here (I'm really not), but step back for a minute and think about what you've just asked.

You are seeking a job where you will have the authority to deprive someone of the property, their freedom and their very life, if necessary. You will do so based solely on your split second interpretation of the law as it applied to the situation at hand.

Yet, you step up to the plate apparently worried that you are incapable of comprehending the written words, policies and laws that tell you when you may exercise such grave powers. Then, you ask if you can continue in the hiring process, even if you demonstrate you are incapable of understanding what you need to learn in order to exercise those powers.

Please trust me when I say you are not ready to enter this profession.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Dude,

Please forgive me as I am not trying to be rude here (I'm really not), but step back for a minute and think about what you've just asked.

You are seeking a job where you will have the authority to deprive someone of the property, their freedom and their very life, if necessary. You will do so based solely on your split second interpretation of the law as it applied to the situation at hand.

Yet, you step up to the plate apparently worried that you are incapable of comprehending the written words, policies and laws that tell you when you may exercise such grave powers. Then, you ask if you can continue in the hiring process, even if you demonstrate you are incapable of understanding what you need to learn in order to exercise those powers.

Please trust me when I say you are not ready to enter this profession.
                Last edited by StevenChau935; 12-22-2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I'm not trying to pour salt into an open wound, but simply put, words mean things. If you can't understand the meaning of simple or complex sentences, paragraphs or stories, you can't learn what you need to do the job. Of equal importance, you can't write reports and clearly communicate what you saw, heard and did in furtherance of your work.

I used to cringe at some of the reports that crossed my desk for review and approval, particularly the ones that involved use of force. Often they listed the use of force employed by the officer but failed to explain what the suspect did to warrant that use of force in the first place. At first glance they looked like confessions to assault under color of authority and civil rights violations. The conversations usually went like this:

Me. Officer X, it looks like we need to involve Internal Affairs.

Officer X: Why L-T? What did I do wrong?

Me: Well, according to your report, the suspect was just standing there when you knocked the crap out of him for no apparent reason.

Officer X: But, but, but...he took a swing at me first as I got out of the patrol car. When I told him he was under arrest he picked up a beer bottle and tried to hit me with it. Then the fight was on.and it took two bystanders to help me get him in custody.

Me: Didn't you think it was important to include all that and the identity of the bystanders in the report to explain why he got the snot beat out of him?

Officer X: Oh. Yeah, I guess i missed that. Let me have the report back and I'll include that.

Comment

Hello, everyone.
                    I have 3 questions related to Phase 2 in Houston Police Department hiring process.

Thank you.
                    ......and not trying to sound mean, but you seriously need some basic lessons in the English language. Unless you were simply texting those questions hurriedly and didn't proof-read them, you are going to be hard-pressed to pass the academy.
                    If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

message deleted

Comment

I have a mentorship from one HPD Sgt. officer, will that forward my hiring process faster?
                        Not if you can't read and comprehend written sentences and you can't express yourself effectively in writing.

It may be even worse for your Sergeant friend. Department personnel who sponsor applicants that prove themselves incapable are not well regarded by their agency and are looked at as someone who shot their own career in the foot.

My agency used to give any officer a day off with pay as a bonus for any officer they recruited and sponsored that made it through the academy. To facilitate this, the officer wrote his serial number on the candidates application. But if an officer sponsored too many people who failed, the department began asking why he was recruiting and mentoring Bozos instead of making an effort to ensure the applicants were qualified. Recruiting and mentoring unqualified applicants only sets them up for disappointment and wastes department resources, time and money that could be better spent on qualified candidates.

Comment

Hello, everyone.

Thank you.
                          Bro just study the list of words that they have online for the nelson denny. I had to study 300 words just to clear through austin nelson denny. Look it up online!

Comment

Originally posted by Shak33mDixon View Post

Bro just study the list of words that they have online for the nelson Denny. I had to study 300 words just to clear through Austin nelson Denny. Look it up online!

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Not if you can't read and comprehend written sentences and you can't express yourself effectively in writing.

It may be even worse for your Sergeant friend. Department personnel who sponsor applicants that prove themselves incapable are not well regarded by their agency and are looked at as someone who shot their own career in the foot.

My agency used to give any officer a day off with pay as a bonus for any officer they recruited and sponsored that made it through the academy. To facilitate this, the officer wrote his serial number on the candidates application. But if an officer sponsored too many people who failed, the department began asking why he was recruiting and mentoring Bozos instead of making an effort to ensure the applicants were qualified. Recruiting and mentoring unqualified applicants only sets them up for disappointment and wastes department resources, time and money that could be better spent on qualified candidates.
                              Last edited by StevenChau935; 12-22-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4492 users online. 266 members and 4226 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X