300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas PD

Just wanted whatever info I could get on DPD that isn't already on their web site. Moral, what areas tyo stay out of, rumors, etc.

pk
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Well, I've been down here since sunday and have completed my prebackground, my physical and poly and passed all of them. My board is on thursday, crossing my fingers. Might I say, what a nice new HQ they have down here. They have a Ford Model A patrol car and a Harley patrol trike in the lobby and everyone was very nice which is to be expected in TX, but a nice surprise never the less compared to some of the other depts I've applied at in the past.

pk
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Dallas PD leadership has had some problems in the past. I think the new chief will be a good leader.
      "Only imperfection is intolerant of imperfection"

Comment

I know a few DPD officers. I would say moral is pretty crappy for the street guys.

Most seem to think the new chief will improve thing, but he has his work cut out for him. He has a very difficult Mayor and city council to deal with.

pkagel, what do you mean "what areas to stay out of?"
        "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

I meant what divisions to try to stay away from as a rookie. Just looking for some pointers from some of the vets out there.

Comment

Good Luck pkagel!
            Last edited by icecoldblueyes; 06-06-2008, 02:55 AM.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
            and I'm not sure about the former.
            -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
              I meant what divisions to try to stay away from as a rookie.

It does not matter as you won't have a choice.

Comment

Actually they do get something resembling a choice. They get to pick where they would like to go out of the academy..... doesn't mean they will get it.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
                and I'm not sure about the former.
                -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Well, passed my oral board. 3 board members grilling me, thought I failed but they said I passed. I also had a couple of senior officers watching and an admin lady who was very nice and congradulatory. I sure hope backgrounds go fast as I found the perfect house up north of the toll road.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                    Well, passed my oral board. 3 board members grilling me, thought I failed but they said I passed. I also had a couple of senior officers watching and an admin lady who was very nice and congradulatory. I sure hope backgrounds go fast as I found the perfect house up north of the toll road.

I was thinking of transfering to DPD from another agency, how was the written test ? and if you need any info I live in plano and work in Dallas county...good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Txcop276
                      I was thinking of transfering to DPD from another agency, how was the written test ? and if you need any info I live in plano and work in Dallas county...good luck!
                      Does Dallas do Laterals? That would be good for you.

Comment

yes they do, only 4 months of their academy if u already certified.

Comment

Test was pretty easy, a little spelling, english comp, english defn's(adjective, pronoun, noun, etc), some math(they give you a calculator) I scored a 99 w/ my vet points and probably missed my ?'s on the spelling and english defn's.

We are planning on moving to W. Plano and buying a newer house about 2700 sq ft.

They are quite a nice bunch down there at HQ, very helpful. BTW, the written is over at civil service and parking is $1 on the east side of the building in the big parking lot. Make sure that even if you have already turned in a C.S. packet that youi bring an extra with you just in case, sure came in handy for me as they had lost mine.

What is happening w/ E. Plano, seems to have gone down hill a bit since I was working out there in 2001???

Originally posted by Txcop276

Comment

Applying to Dallas too...

What sort of questions do they ask on the oral board??

Comment

Well, I'm not going to give you the questions but I'll give you the sorts they will ask.

They give you 2 essays to write as soon as you get there in the morning so if you write slow, show up sooner.

They will ask the softballs that everyplace asks, why do you want to be a cop in dallas, etc.

Then they toss it up every other question w/ a scenario. They don't just expect a shoot, don't shoot type answer, they want what you'd do from start to finish, turn on the lights, radio for back up, position the car, draw your gun, etc, etc. Mind you their are 3 officers asking you the questions w/ 3 different styles. All and all, the best police interview I've ever had, and other agencies ought to look into how DPD does theirs and copy it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3113 users online. 186 members and 2927 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X