Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming a Texas State Trooper with Diabetes type 1 (insulin dependent)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Texas State Trooper with Diabetes type 1 (insulin dependent)

Good morning guys and gals, my question is simple, Can you become a Texas State Trooper if you have diabetes type 1? I am fit and take really good care of myself as my blood tests show I have an A1C of 6.

I know that when I applied to Border Patrol Agent it was not a disqualifier as long as I passed all my physicals and the medical team at the hiring center gave me the green light.Does The same applies to Texas State Trooper? Thanks in advance!

I would suggest contacting a recruiter and asking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your feedback!
      Last edited by Texas_50barrett; 05-17-2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I cannot speak foe Texas DPS, but you might want to read this http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Endo.pdf

These are California's hiring standards. They explain the issues faced by diabetics in law enforcement.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Even if you can't become a trooper, you'd still be able to find an agency to work for.
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

A 5 minute phone call to Austin will answer your questions. Let us know what hey say. I don't think it will disqualify you, but I would like to hear the official answer. Good question. I haven't seen that question posted here before.

Comment

I just called human resources for the Texas State Troopers and just like CBP you CAN become a State Trooper it all depends on your doctor and case-by-case basis.Well now I know were my focus is going to be from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_50barrett View Post
                I just called human resources for the Texas State Troopers and just like CBP you CAN become a State Trooper it all depends on your doctor and case-by-case basis.Well now I know were my focus is going to be from now on.
                Congratulations! Welcome to the party.

Comment

Congrats about DPS giving you a chance. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and understand your pain. You may have heard of this but I just recently got a Dexcom G5 CGM and absolutely love it. Its a great way to monitor your blood sugars. It will tell you when your high and low and which way your blood sugar is headed, especially with all the PT you're going to have to do! If you have any questions about it just let me know. Good luck! http://www.dexcom.com/
                  Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                    Congrats about DPS giving you a chance. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and understand your pain. You may have heard of this but I just recently got a Dexcom G5 CGM and absolutely love it. Its a great way to monitor your blood sugars. It will tell you when your high and low and which way your blood sugar is headed, especially with all the PT you're going to have to do! If you have any questions about it just let me know. Good luck! http://www.dexcom.com/

Comment

Thanks you sir! And I have not heard of that insulin pump.But I do have a Medtronic insulin pump which comes with a sensor that tells me which way my glucose is heading, really useful indeed!I will look into that one also.Thanks for your feedback and nice to hear from another type 1. I will let you know if I have further questions.Thanks again! I really appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                        Good team work! Best of luck!

Comment

Had 2 come through the same recruit class a few years ago and both made it...

Comment

Outstanding! Push on, brother.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5155 users online. 283 members and 4872 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X