300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas DPS Duty Assignments

I have not seen a thread much about the assignment of your duty stations for Texas Highway Patrol. Current troopers and current recruits down in Austin, would you be able to tell me how that process goes and how many of you were placed in an area you wanted?

Originally posted by txtrooper24 View Post
    I have not seen a thread much about the assignment of your duty stations for Texas Highway Patrol. Current troopers and current recruits down in Austin, would you be able to tell me how that process goes and how many of you were placed in an area you wanted?
    If you read the old DPS threads from 2015 and 2014 it is discussed in depth. Once slayer logs on he will be able to help you since he recently graduated a few months back.

NRG should be too since he is in the currently class and they should be close to that point

Comment

From what I'm seeing and hearing, you get a 'wish list' about a month into training of current openings. You pick your top choices and about 2 weeks later you're told where your assignment will be.

I heard if you have a family, kids, and/or working spouse that DPS will do their best at getting you where you want to be. The single applicants with less tie-downs are more than likely going to the border but even then, DPS will try and get them where they want to be. Of course I haven't been through the academy yet so correct me if I'm wrong.
      Texas Department of Criminal Justice
      12/2009 - 03/2016, resigned as Lieutenant

Texas Department of Public Safety
      03/2016 - present, Trooper Recruit

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MD00082 View Post
        From what I'm seeing and hearing, you get a 'wish list' about a month into training of current openings. You pick your top choices and about 2 weeks later you're told where your assignment will be.

I heard if you have a family, kids, and/or working spouse that DPS will do their best at getting you where you want to be. The single applicants with less tie-downs are more than likely going to the border but even then, DPS will try and get them where they want to be. Of course I haven't been through the academy yet so correct me if I'm wrong.

That is similar to what I've heard either from here and buddies I know are current troopers

Comment

About week 6 of the academy you get a wish list. You'll pick 6 duty stations that are open. (They give you a list of openings) The Major picked ours and then they come in and tell you where you will be going. They do their best to cater to families and what not. If you're single, there's a good chance you'll end up in West TX or the border. They do their best to put you somewhere in your top 6, but they have to fill the heavily understaffed areas as well. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jo123 View Post
            About week 6 of the academy you get a wish list. You'll pick 6 duty stations that are open. (They give you a list of openings) The Major picked ours and then they come in and tell you where you will be going. They do their best to cater to families and what not. If you're single, there's a good chance you'll end up in West TX or the border. They do their best to put you somewhere in your top 6, but they have to fill the heavily understaffed areas as well. Hope this helps.
            Okay, so they will try to put you near where you want but at the end of the day you are in fact at the mercy of the departments' needs?

Comment

I was attending an in-service school at the DPS academy about 11 years ago and we got to meet some of the current cadets. The Captain mentioned that their duty stations would almost certainly be in a city that ends in an "O".

Sort of limits your choices... huh.
              If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by delzo70 View Post
                I was attending an in-service school at the DPS academy about 11 years ago and we got to meet some of the current cadets. The Captain mentioned that their duty stations would almost certainly be in a city that ends in an "O".

So like Laredo...el Paso...del Rio and everything in those regions

Comment

Originally posted by delzo70 View Post

11 years ago...

A few things have changed since then.

sigpic

Comment

Yep exactly.

Comment

I'm married and got my third Region choice, but not the district that I wanted. That being said, I still got a great assignment with a great bunch of guys and a good sergeant. Some of my friends got the middle of no where in West Texas. You just do your time and when your eligible to relocate you relocate. One bit of advice, don't start complaining and moaning about your assignment. You will bring a big target on yourself that you don't want. Just suck it up and drive on.

Comment

I got my 1st choice across the board. I think I was 1 of 2 who got our 1st choice (of region/district & office). I'm married with kids and a house, wife has a great career too. Very blessed. Also depends on what region/district you're from too.

Comment

Originally posted by nrg_ View Post
                          I got my 1st choice across the board. I think I was 1 of 2 who got our 1st choice (of region/district & office). I'm married with kids and a house, wife has a great career too. Very blessed. Also depends on what region/district you're from too.
                          What station did you get NRG?

Comment

Originally posted by nrg_ View Post
                            If you're in Montgomery I believe they had 2-3 openings last I checked. Minus 1 now of course. That's a spot I'd like to be in myself.

sigpic

Comment

Yes sir you're right, this district had 3 openings and all 3 were filled. I got Magnolia, pretty excited about coming back to this area.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3366 users online. 218 members and 3148 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X