300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior military DPS applications

I am in the military. I am thinking of applying for the texas DPS and was looking for some insight on the whole application process from either prior military applicants or civilian applicants. Thanks for all the info in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andy2648; 01-06-2016, 05:17 AM.

I am prior military, currently in the background phase of the hiring process. The application process is long and thorough as you might expect, though I have heard that DPS is working hard to have the application process from start to finish be no longer than 3 months. It is a very competitive process, not for the faint of heart. In reference to the tactical flight officer probability after the probationary period I personally have no idea. I would reach out to the recruiter/ tester in your specific region. You can find that info on joindps.com. Best of luck!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by W.Cockerham View Post
      I am prior military, currently in the background phase of the hiring process. The application process is long and thorough as you might expect, though I have heard that DPS is working hard to have the application process from start to finish be no longer than 3 months. It is a very competitive process, not for the faint of heart. In reference to the tactical flight officer probability after the probationary period I personally have no idea. I would reach out to the recruiter/ tester in your specific region. You can find that info on joindps.com. Best of luck!!

Are you currently in Texas and how long have you been waiting so far.

Comment

Yes, I just recently moved back to Texas from Louisiana. I started the process in late August but there was a month delay due to ALC for me(I am a reservist).

Comment

If you're currently out of state, to the best of my knowledge they do the best they can to accommodate as few trips as possible. usually from everything I've read 2: 1st trip consists of written/ physical tests; 2nd consists of oral board, physical and psych evaluation. And I want to say that they might do the poly during the first trip also but am not positive on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks cockerham I have a feeling it's gonna be a logistics nightmare figuring out the application and moving to the reserves.

Comment

Yea, I can only imagine. Though looking at the upside you'd have plenty to take your mind off the waits in between phases. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2648 View Post
                I am in aviation in the military. I am thinking of applying for the texas DPS and was looking for some insight on the whole application process from either prior military applicants or civilian applicants. And if anyone is currently a tactical Flight officer I would like to know what my chances would be if I was to apply after the year probation. Thanks for all the info in advance.

You have to do your required four years on patrol before you can become eligible to transfer to any other division.

Comment

Thanks cockerham I have a feeling it's gonna be a logistics nightmare figuring out the application and moving to the reserves.

You should go ahead and apply. Our recruiting teams are very experienced in dealing with military applicants. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer6x6 View Post
                    You have to do your required four years on patrol before you can become eligible to transfer to any other division.
                    Not according to the website

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer6x6 View Post

Comment

Maybe that is for tactical flight officer, for pilot I believe you have to be Trooper II. Either way you are going to have to put in for the position and you will get beat out by people more senior to you and people that put up higher numbers than you. Nobody really cares what you did prior to DPS, it's what you DO at DPS that matters and gets you into specialized divisions. I would think the list to get into these positions are highly sought after so don't expect it handed over just because you have prior military aviation experience.
                        "Always remember to use all fingers when waving at a Police Officer!"

Comment

Originally posted by WillyWonkaBars View Post
                          Maybe that is for tactical flight officer, for pilot I believe you have to be Trooper II. Either way you are going to have to put in for the position and you will get beat out by people more senior to you and people that put up higher numbers than you. Nobody really cares what you did prior to DPS, it's what you DO at DPS that matters and gets you into specialized divisions. I would think the list to get into these positions are highly sought after so don't expect it handed over just because you have prior military aviation experience.
                          I respectfully disagree. I had the chance to talk with a recruiter and he informed me that with my military background and my experience in do the exact same thing they are doing in aviation that I had a greater chance than other applicants. Now I know he may just be saying that so he could get his numbers but I do strongly think that my experience will propel me ahead of just some people with college. Anyways I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by WillyWonkaBars View Post
                            I forgot to mention no matter what the outcome my goal is first and foremost to become a Texas state trooper

Comment

[QUOTE=Andy2648;3800043]I respectfully disagree. I had the chance to talk with a recruiter and he informed me that with my military background and my experience in do the exact same thing they are doing in aviation that I had a greater chance than other applicants. Now I know he may just be saying that so he could get his numbers but I do strongly think that my experience will propel me ahead of just some people with college. Anyways I appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Being prior military you should know a recruiter says what they need to say to get you on the dotted line. By that reasoning... You mean to tell me if I was a K9 handler in the military and there was an opening for DPS K9 that due to my prior "background and experience" that I should be ahead of numerous Troopers that have numerous years of seniority with DPS? It doesn't fly that way in Law Enforcement, you have to do your time. Just because I'm prior military and currently K9 at my PD I wouldn't join DPS thinking they are just going to hand over DPS K9 without me putting the work to earn it.
                              Just my $0.02.
                              "Always remember to use all fingers when waving at a Police Officer!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3620 users online. 243 members and 3377 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X