X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fbrgv
    replied
    Originally posted by Manzano View Post
    FBRGV, have you ever given Houston a thought? It's great pay with multiple divisions with plently room for movement. RGV is only about a 6 hr drive, you can still see your family regularly.

Just my thoughts if you're thinking long term, RGV_COP gave some pretty good points.
    I am thinking long term, but honestly I have not given any other place than the valley thought. Reason Being my family, we're going through a very hard time right now with a illness and wouldn't leave them. I did work in Houston a couple of years back for Disaster Relief team when Hurricane Ike I believe it was hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Manzano
    replied
    FBRGV, have you ever given Houston a thought? It's great pay with multiple divisions with plently room for movement. RGV is only about a 6 hr drive, you can still see your family regularly.

Just my thoughts if you're thinking long term, RGV_COP gave some pretty good points.

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    TTT.... Academy date getting closer D December 7. In

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    Originally posted by rgv_cop View Post
    My advice to you as I used to work in the RGV. Moved away in 06.

Stay away from anything in Starr Co., Progresso PD, La Grulla PD. there is a very bad stigma that is associated with those agencies that have been proven over and over again. If you value yourself and career take that advice.

All departments in the RGV are political in some way shape or form. The best departments are also the hardest ones to get into, Edinburg, McAllen, Mission, Brownsville.

It is very hard to get into any Department if you don't know someone high up in the chain as most of the agencies are not civil service. There are usually 4-5 full time academies going at the same time that results in 100+ people looking for jobs there in the valley.

Hidalgo SO has had a major shift in leadership since Trevino became an inmate. Mission had a shake up as well....remember the Panama Unit fiasco? It appears as Guerra is doing his best to turn it around.

San Juan PD has a very good Chief, but also hard to get into.

If I was you just starting to get into an academy in the valley, I would first get accepted into a academy then start your research. To me some good places to work are, even with the bad are:
    Mcallen PD
    Mission PD
    Edinburg PD
    Pharr PD
    Brownsville PD
    Harlingen PD
    San Juan PD
    Hidalgo SO
    Hidalgo PD

Other PDs
    Edinburg ISD
    La Joya ISD
    McAllen ISD
    Mission ISD
    UTRGV PD (UTPA)
    Mercedes PD (mixed reviews)
    La Feria PD
    Alamo PD (mixed reviews)
    Weslaco PD

The smaller the PD the lower the pay and not much paid overtime available, but the majority are starting new officers are around $15/hr. If you go with a County agency, it will be comp time. Cities do offer OT, but im sure its very limited. In terms of extra jobs, the majority of them are taken by the big agencies, unless you got the hook up.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great fun busy departments down there, but alot do not offer what I was looking for in the long term. I wanted movement to different divisions to learn more and promotional opportunities, so I eventually left for the betterment of my career.

Like you said, its not all about the money, but there will come a point in your career where it is and can you survive at $15/hr 5 or 10 years from now? Always thing long term and what are the benefits package with any department.
    First Of all I want to say thank you for replying with such great information, I appreciate the information and help.

I currently live in RGC and I can see the sigma your talking about. As soon as I'm done with the academy I plan on moving back to Edinburg and hopefully getting hired some were around hidalgo county and away from Starr county.

I have come to realize that this field has to do a lot with politics and unfortunately I really don't know anyone personally higher up/politically. So that's a big set back. All I have is a letter of recommendation from a man I know who is retired and well decorated in the law enforcement field. He worked DEA and also worked for one of a previous president. I don't think that'll help me any tough since it's only a letter of recommendation.

Yes I remember all of that fiasco with Panama unit and everything else that came with it. There was a article on the unit about last year in rolling stone reminding everyone I guess it's not forgotten. I feel like those guys had it made doing what they were doing originally/legally and then had to start stealing and doing illegal things.

I start the academy this December I will be attending the mission night academy.

I currently get payed more than 15 an hour not much but I am at 16, with 82 hours every 2 weeks. That is a bit of a setback. Not much but every dollar counts. I honestly thought there was a lot of overtime offered and that would make up for the pay degrade. Honestly this kind of puts a lump in my throat pay cut, no ot, and extra jobs taken allready.

As far as terms of promotions is that political as well. Narcotics and units of that sort. You said think long term so is the valley not the best bet for long term? I honestly cannot live on those 15 dollars an hour 5-10 years as you mentioned.

If you don't mind me asking were did you leave for the betterment of your career?

Leave a comment:

• rgv_cop
    replied
    My advice to you as I used to work in the RGV. Moved away in 06.

Stay away from anything in Starr Co., Progresso PD, La Grulla PD. there is a very bad stigma that is associated with those agencies that have been proven over and over again. If you value yourself and career take that advice.

All departments in the RGV are political in some way shape or form. The best departments are also the hardest ones to get into, Edinburg, McAllen, Mission, Brownsville.

It is very hard to get into any Department if you don't know someone high up in the chain as most of the agencies are not civil service. There are usually 4-5 full time academies going at the same time that results in 100+ people looking for jobs there in the valley.

Hidalgo SO has had a major shift in leadership since Trevino became an inmate. Mission had a shake up as well....remember the Panama Unit fiasco? It appears as Guerra is doing his best to turn it around.

San Juan PD has a very good Chief, but also hard to get into.

If I was you just starting to get into an academy in the valley, I would first get accepted into a academy then start your research. To me some good places to work are, even with the bad are:
    Mcallen PD
    Mission PD
    Edinburg PD
    Pharr PD
    Brownsville PD
    Harlingen PD
    San Juan PD
    Hidalgo SO
    Hidalgo PD

Other PDs
    Edinburg ISD
    La Joya ISD
    McAllen ISD
    Mission ISD
    UTRGV PD (UTPA)
    Mercedes PD (mixed reviews)
    La Feria PD
    Alamo PD (mixed reviews)
    Weslaco PD

The smaller the PD the lower the pay and not much paid overtime available, but the majority are starting new officers are around $15/hr. If you go with a County agency, it will be comp time. Cities do offer OT, but im sure its very limited. In terms of extra jobs, the majority of them are taken by the big agencies, unless you got the hook up.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great fun busy departments down there, but alot do not offer what I was looking for in the long term. I wanted movement to different divisions to learn more and promotional opportunities, so I eventually left for the betterment of my career.

Like you said, its not all about the money, but there will come a point in your career where it is and can you survive at $15/hr 5 or 10 years from now? Always thing long term and what are the benefits package with any department.

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    Anyone else.....

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    TTT......

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    Originally posted by moodynorth View Post
    Fb rgv your PMs aren't turned on apparently, but EJs are extra jobs
    I believe I just turned it on, sorry about that. Extra jobs such as security at clubs and stuff like that?

Leave a comment:

• moodynorth
    replied
    Fb rgv your PMs aren't turned on apparently, but EJs are extra jobs

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    BPO financial side

40k +\- is regular pay.....county only does comp time unless your lucky enough to snatch some Stonegarden money.....other than that several EJs on the outside you can do.
    I've seen a couple of tahoes with those words on em stonegarden.

Last edited by Fbrgv ; 09-22-2015, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• moodynorth
    replied
    Originally posted by Fbrgv View Post
    Ok but is that regular pay with out overtime?? Is there overtime??

40k +\- is regular pay.....county only does comp time unless your lucky enough to snatch some Stonegarden money.....other than that several EJs on the outside you can do.

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    BPO financial side

Is there room to move up in ranks or other things? Sick as narcotics division and stuff of that matter?Or is it all politics?

Last edited by Fbrgv ; 09-22-2015, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    If you think Stsrr is low you'll think Cameron is low.....hidalgo county sheriffs office is about to get into the starting low 40k's ....just got to deal with politics.....but down here that's bout par.
    Ok but is that regular pay with out overtime?? Is there overtime??

Leave a comment:

• moodynorth
    replied
    If you think Stsrr is low you'll think Cameron is low.....hidalgo county sheriffs office is about to get into the starting low 40k's ....just got to deal with politics.....but down here that's bout par.

Leave a comment:

• Fbrgv
    replied
    Originally posted by TexasTrooper956 View Post
    roma pd and rio pd and la grulla are like at 28-30k a year. Starr county sherrifs office starts you at 33k. I know mcallen and edinburg are the best paid but the hardest to get in and start you off at like 50k a year. I know they do get medical benefits but dont know about retirement and stuff like that.
    Damn didn't think it was that low for Starr county. I currently make more and thought it wasn't good.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5480 users online. 377 members and 5103 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X