300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas dps a-2016 academy

FYI, .....Starting tomorrow April 1st, DPS is taking applications for the January A-2016 Academy. So if you know someone who is looking to get in send them to the DPS Recruiting website.

How frequent are the applications opened? Twice yearly, quarterly? Just so I can plan on when I'll start an application vs when I'll graduate university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The fact that they are starting this early for the January Academy is pretty unusual. Normally, there is a Winter Academy (January) and a summer Academy (July). The process takes about 5-6 months, so count back about 5-6 months before graduation then call your recruiter.

How frequent are the applications opened? Twice yearly, quarterly? Just so I can plan on when I'll start an application vs when I'll graduate university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

I have some questions about TxDPS.
        How many openings they usually have per academy? Any idea how many apps they get per application cycle?
        Does it make any difference whether one opts to do the row machine vs. the traditional events (push-ups, 1.5 mile etc.)?
        Do they favor minorities and women heavily like some other departments do?
        Do their doctors use Ishihara as the methods to check color vision in the medical?
        In what part of the application process they weed out most of the applicants? (I don't mind if it's the background or the oral, but I'd hate to go into another poly where I'm told that I'm lying just because I'm not selected... And we all know some departments use poly as a way to get rid of people.)
        Thanks guys.

Comment

Hey mudhen, seems you have lots of questions. I will try answer as many as I can. If I don't have an answer review the other dps academy forums for a wealth of information.. There are forums dating back to about 2012-2013. Worst case call and ask a recruiter.

Usually, an academy class will have 100 plus recruits on day one to start. No idea on how many applications they get per cycle. The difference on the pre-pt test is that Both will tire you and one the rower will finished quicker. I have heard of some recruiters not giving you the option of which test to take. When I did my test, I had the option and I elected the rower. Ask the recruiter for your region for better clarification. Their is no favoritism. If you can pass all the test and steps in the process, you got a shot at getting into the academy. Probably one of the most fair agencies that I have applied to.

I would venture to say that most applicants are knocked out in the written and pt test phase followed by the polygraph phase.

As for the vision testing here are the disqualifiers. In reference to the color blindness test as the recruiter.

Vision: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to at least one of the following:

20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye

20/30 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye

20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye

Current near visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/40 in the better eye
          Current refractive error (hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism in excess of -8.00 or +8.00 diopters spherical equivalent or astigmatism in excess of 3.00 diopters.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Originally posted by mudhen View Post
          I have some questions about TxDPS.
          How many openings they usually have per academy? Any idea how many apps they get per application cycle?
          Does it make any difference whether one opts to do the row machine vs. the traditional events (push-ups, 1.5 mile etc.)?
          Do they favor minorities and women heavily like some other departments do?
          Do their doctors use Ishihara as the methods to check color vision in the medical?
          In what part of the application process they weed out most of the applicants? (I don't mind if it's the background or the oral, but I'd hate to go into another poly where I'm told that I'm lying just because I'm not selected... And we all know some departments use poly as a way to get rid of people.)
          Thanks guys.

Comment

Question: I am not a veteran and I was discharged while I was in basic training from the military. How do I submit my paperwork?

Comment

Showtime, I don't know the type of discharge that you received, but I would speak with a recruiter first before applying. The applications are lengthy and would be a waste of your time if you don't qualify.

Here is the link for DPS recruiting including recruiter contact information and FAQ's.

dps.texas.gov/trainingacademy/recruiting/index.htm

Good luck!

Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
              Question: I am not a veteran and I was discharged while I was in basic training from the military. How do I submit my paperwork?

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer6x6 View Post
                Showtime, I don't know the type of discharge that you received, but I would speak with a recruiter first before applying. The applications are lengthy and would be a waste of your time if you don't qualify.

Here is the link for DPS recruiting including recruiter contact information and FAQ's.

dps.texas.gov/trainingacademy/recruiting/index.htm

Good luck!

I sent you a PM

Comment

Just received the paperwork to fill out to have it mailed to schedule a test. Time to rock and roll.

Comment

Slayer6X6,

I have a question about the body fat. I know I will not make the height weight goal. I never made it in the military. However; I did make the body fat assessment. I was wondering what is the body fat standards or should I talk to a recruiter first and have him give me an assessment before I start this process. I'm more of the bodybuilder type. I pt and run about 4 miles a day. I average about 21 to 22% body fat.

Comment

Gordon, throughout the whole hiring process we never had our body fat measured. All that matters is that you can pass the rowing and pt test among all the other steps of the hiring process.

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                      Slayer6X6,

I have a question about the body fat. I know I will not make the height weight goal. I never made it in the military. However; I did make the body fat assessment. I was wondering what is the body fat standards or should I talk to a recruiter first and have him give me an assessment before I start this process. I'm more of the bodybuilder type. I pt and run about 4 miles a day. I average about 21 to 22% body fat.

Comment

Showtime, when did you get your online application turned in?

Comment

Slayer6X6,

Thanks for the information. Just one final question about the math. Was there much geometry on the test. I think I need to brush up on this area pretty good. I'm looking at testing in late July or the first week of August. Still obligated to the US Navy for 60 more days.

Comment

Originally posted by bgray2013 View Post
                            Showtime, when did you get your online application turned in?
                            Sent in my application on Friday and received the forms and all that to fill out today.

Comment

I am about to submit my online application, I was just wondering how long it took them to review it and send out the email.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3701 users online. 248 members and 3453 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X