Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active duty military applying Austin

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Active duty military applying Austin

    So, as the title states, I'm currently active duty Army currently considering/working on application for Austin PD. Just wondering if anyone could give some insight on how far from my ETS I should submit my application if I'm looking to jump straight into it after ETS. Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Using backwards planning to determine when the academy starts to when your anticipated ETS is. But speaking from experience as I have just finished processing with quite a few agencies, I would start applying about a year out....8 months at a minimum.

    I had some of the recruiters tell me to wait until I either actually hit retirement leave or start processing about 2-3 months out. These processing stages can take a very long time and waiting too long before you start might mess up your plans of jumping into an academy immediately after ETS. FHP took about 9 months and I was on point with a lot of the stuff they asked for.

    I say start no earlier than 1 year but no later than 8 months, depending on the agency. They may say they stream lined it but Murphy's evil head seems to come out all the time when it comes to these things. I know when I spoke with TX DPS, they said it was about 4-6 months to process but it was more like 7-8 months just because of the background requests from out of state.
    Last edited by 31BLaxer; 02-06-2015, 06:55 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea, that's generally how I was figuring I should do it, to be safe. As it stands, I'm rounding the last couple items for my packet and I'm set to ETS next February with the possibility of shortening my contract with a job drop. Recently discovered there is a class scheduled for November, which is a bit of a stretch as far as shortening my contract goes, but doable. Hopefully I can make it through the process in time to make that class.

      Comment


      • #4
        Feb 2016?....that's a bit off but as I said, these processing systems take awhile, especially with out of state requests that need to be sent out. I do not care what the recruiters/hiring personnel tell you, start no later than 8 months out for an agency such as Austin, Dallas or Houston. They are big agencies with lots of applicants and over worked staff on the backgrounds. It takes time.

        Comment


        • #5
          I got my packet into Austin on Jan. 27. They process the packets on a first come, first serve basis. I sent the recruiting staff an email asking if based on their applications it was possible I make the Nov class this year. They promptly and politely responded that based on how many applicants they had, I was most likely looking at their March 2016 class. Get your stuff in NOW for Austin.

          Comment


          • #6
            You have to give yourself at least 1 year if you plan on getting out on a Friday and starting an academy on Monday. I do not care what recruiters/posters to the site/whoever....It takes awhile to process, good luck with it and keep driving on, you'll do just fine.

            Comment


            • #7
              Not true at all. We can and do process applicants who are still on active duty. Depending when our next class is, there is can be just a couple of weeks to a couple of months between ETS and academy start date.

              Originally posted by 31BLaxer View Post
              You have to give yourself at least 1 year if you plan on getting out on a Friday and starting an academy on Monday. I do not care what recruiters/posters to the site/whoever....It takes awhile to process, good luck with it and keep driving on, you'll do just fine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
                Not true at all. We can and do process applicants who are still on active duty. Depending when our next class is, there is can be just a couple of weeks to a couple of months between ETS and academy start date.
                I haven't seen it yet, especially from larger agencies such as Dallas, Houston and Orlando, FL. I say give yourself the 1 year, NO MATTER PEOPLE SAY ON HERE.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I MIGHT know what I am talking about since I have been the Assistant Chief over the Recruiting Division at HPD for the past 18 months.

                  Originally posted by 31BLaxer View Post
                  I haven't seen it yet, especially from larger agencies such as Dallas, Houston and Orlando, FL. I say give yourself the 1 year, NO MATTER PEOPLE SAY ON HERE.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
                    I MIGHT know what I am talking about since I have been the Assistant Chief over the Recruiting Division at HPD for the past 18 months.
                    Ok, when I contacted your agency about 8 months, I was told to submit my packet AFTER I started my retirement leave because i was told your agency could not process me until AFTER I had DD 214 in hand.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by blackjack4247 View Post
                      So, as the title states, I'm currently active duty Army currently considering/working on application for Austin PD. Just wondering if anyone could give some insight on how far from my ETS I should submit my application if I'm looking to jump straight into it after ETS. Thanks in advance.
                      If you want to apply at Austin, then apply about one year out from your anticipated academy date. Just to be safe... worst case, you aren't able to start when you want, your name is good on the eligibility list for one year and you can slide into the next class. Austin hires from active duty all the time.... and you don't need a dd-214, you just need a letter from your CO stating that you are expected to have a honorable discharge.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Man, you guys are lucky. When I applied there was a 2 year gap between academies (I think maybe there was a small lateral academy in between). It took me almost 2 years between application and starting the academy. Alls well that ends well.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Im not in Texas, nor have i applied there. However I just started a job with the 3rd largest agency in the state of Washington. The PD i got hired by has the toughest process of getting hired as well. I literally cleared the Army yesterday, and i start on Monday for Employee orientation before heading to the Academy. I will be a full time employee in the Academy while still on Terminal leave. Start the process for whatever agencies you choose at a year out. Either you will have a perfectly timed scenario like i did, or you will possibly have to wait a month or two after separating.... But thats better than a full year unemployed after the Military! If the agency you apply to wants you, and you complete the hiring process then they will hold an academy date and a slot for you, for when you are available upon release from the Army! Just work with your CoC in the army to make sure you can make all the required appts for the agency! My process overall took 8 months from the time i tested to when I was hired, i actually ETS'd 4 months early with the Early Sep Program. So start applying now, i garauntee you that your agency will work with you for your first available date to work!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            perhaps there was a misunderstanding. we can process you while you are still in the military as long as we receive a letter from your commander (we provide the form) that states you are not under any disciplinary actions, you have a date certain to ETS and it is anticipated that you will separate with an Honorable Discharge.

                            you can not be hired - start the academy- until you have the DD-214 in hand.


                            Originally posted by 31BLaxer View Post
                            Ok, when I contacted your agency about 8 months, I was told to submit my packet AFTER I started my retirement leave because i was told your agency could not process me until AFTER I had DD 214 in hand.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 6104 users online. 330 members and 5774 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X