300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Duty Marine seeking info for Texas Law Enforcement

Active Duty Marine currently stationed in Quantico Va looking to get out as early as Aug 2016, been in for just about 5 yrs now and plan on moving back to Texas but need to get a little planning done before I do so. I'm deff looking to go straight into an acadamy the month I get out, the sooner the better (never been one to just sit around). I'm trying to figure out A. What are yall's thoughts as far as Troopers vice City or Metro (I want to be activly involved throughout the day and want oppertunities to join a task force or SWAT) B.When should I enroll into academy and what are the chances of me coming out with a job? I have family in Carrollton and previously lived in Wylie but am open to any GOOD department that is willing to hire, coming from the Marine Corps I'm deff looking for that comradery and team work ethic, as well as a department that has a good name for itself. I really appriciate yall taking time to read this and look forward to hearing some of your feed back.

The following is my primer for the many questions we see in here. I've posted it before and I try to update it periodically. Call it the "So You Wanna Get Hired In Texas...." thread.

Where can I learn about______? The search function is your friend.

What are my chances of being hired by_______? Are you a highly qualified, TCLEOSE certified, recent Medal of Honor winner? Your chances are good. Other than that, we don't know. The more experience and training you have on the ol' resume, the better your chances. If you're new to the game and have no experience, you may be better off applying to a larger department that's willing to send you through their academy. In light of that, why pay your own way when most large departments will send you to their own academy (and the big cities/troopers require you to attend their own academy regardless of previous training).

When should I apply? Talk to each department you're interested in and find out their hiring timeline. Some timelines can be quite long, some are short. In general most are 6 months to 1 year in length before you get the official "You're hired." Just like the military, you don't get to pick your start date, the department does. Do your research, talk to the recruiters, and plan accordingly.

Where should I work? This is a combination of a myriad of factors including department size, morale, pay, location, etc. If you want to be selective, be selective. If you want to cast a wide net, apply everywhere. Go on a ride-along with any of the departments you're interested so you can see how they work. The role of Troopers is not the same as that of a Large City Department. A rural deputy is not the same as a constable. If you're looking for the widest variety of police work and/or answering 911 calls, a big city is your best bet. If you want the freedom of the open road and making your own decisions about what to do, DPS (state troopers) might be your calling. Talk to the recruiters and others about each department you're interested in to get a feel for the job. Again, go on a ride-along.

Which department is pro-active? Any department can be if you put forth the effort. You typically can't go wrong with major cities and the surrounding suburbs if only for the fact that you may have more opportunity due to higher crime levels. If you're from out of state, look at google maps/wikipedia and get some basic info about the area of Texas you're interested in moving to. Then try the Search once you know a little bit about the area. And to reiterate, if possible, go on a ride-along to see how the department operates.

Will a college degree help me get hired? It doesn't hurt, but isn't required unless you're applying to a department that only hires college grads. If you were summa cum laude valedictorian of your major university, you know you can make a whole lot more money in the business world right?

Should I wear a suit to the interview? Yes. Always look professional for interviews with the bigwigs. If you're just showing up to hand off a packet of info, business casual is appropriate.

Other general application tips: Make copies of everything you submit. Send info via certified mail. Write down the info of everyone you talk to, and when you talked to them in case you need to reference it later. You are the party most responsible for this process, not a recruiter or background investigator. Stay on top of things. (But don't be a pain in the…..)

What kind of physical fitness routine should I use to prepare? Try the Health and Fitness forums for ideas. Try Crossfit. Try running. Try the Navy Pre-BUDS workout available online (tip: use google). No one's asking you to be a Green Beret, but the better shape you're in, the easier the academy will be. And in the words of Mark Rippetoe, "Stronger people are harder to kill, and generally more useful." Good advice for when you're on the job.

I have to buy my own firearm. Which should I buy? Buy what your department tells you to buy. If they don't have any rules, then stick with the common calibers 9mm, .40, .45. Regarding specific brands, try a Glock or a Sig. (fyi - further arguments regarding guns should be relegated to the Firearms forum.)

I have to buy my own ______. What should I buy? Buy what your department tells you to buy. If they don't provide any rules, then go visit the duty gear forums where they discuss all things flashlight, baton, handcuff, vest, holster, bail out bag, etc.

I've never shot a handgun before. Should I practice before the academy? Only if you can find a reputable instructor and are dedicated to consistently practicing the fundamentals. If you're just looking to pop a cap in some paper targets and create bad habits, wait until the academy. They'll teach you what they want you to know.

How to pass TCLEOSE: Study. Try the Victoria College practice tests online. Use Google to search for TCOLE or TCLEOSE practice tests.

Certified out of State and want to challenge TCOLE? Quick and dirty: Currently licensed with 12 months prior experience, POST approved training, and complete Texas Supplemental Peace Officer Course #1018. Check TCOLE website for more info, or search this forum for "Challenge TCLEOSE" or "Course #1018." (It used to be called TCLEOSE, so most search history is related to that.

That's all I can think of for right now.

Comment

www.hpdcareer.com

The Houston Police Department is currently hiring. Our next three classes are scheduled for May 25, July 6 and October 12.

You are paid to attend our Academy.

State versus City? It is one thing if you are a State Trooper in Rhode Island and get transfered across the state. It is another thing if you are in a state as big as Texas.

jr03 recently got out of the Marines and is in our academy now. You might want to pm him for his experiences.

Comment

I appriciate the feed back thank you both. Really excited about starting up a new chapter of my life doing what I love (serving and protecting my country). Marine Corps along with the rest of the military is changing too much for comfort so hopefully I love it as much as I did while serving.

Comment

It took me 9 months for me to get hired by my agency after I left active duty USMC. I can't tell you that is the average amount of time or not.

All I can tell you is to start applying. The Internet makes everything so much easier than when I applied. It was either by writing to the agency where I'd request their packet or by going in in person.

Which ever Texas peace officer brand you end up, you will still be a Texas lawman. It is up to you to decide which route you want to take. If you look at the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, you will see who peace officers are in Texas under Article 2.12. It may help you to decide.

Comment

Just saw this thread.....honestly, HPD!!! I got off active duty after 10 years. PM me if you need some help!

Comment

One thing I would add is that Texas is so big that you can put yourself in pretty much any environment that you would like, so give careful thought to what environment works best for you and your family. If you want to be in a big city you have many choices, want to work in a rural environment with more cattle than people, we have that too. A mix of both? There is plenty of that.
              In God We Trust
              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by cody_jones1 View Post
                Active Duty Marine currently stationed in Quantico Va looking to get out as early as Aug 2016, been in for just about 5 yrs now and plan on moving back to Texas but need to get a little planning done before I do so. I'm deff looking to go straight into an academy the month I get out, the sooner the better (never been one to just sit around). I'm trying to figure out A. What are yall's thoughts as far as Troopers vice City or Metro (I want to be actively involved throughout the day and want opportunities to join a task force or SWAT) B.When should I enroll into academy and what are the chances of me coming out with a job? I have family in Carrollton and previously lived in Wylie but am open to any GOOD department that is willing to hire, coming from the Marine Corps I'm deff looking for that camaraderie and team work ethic, as well as a department that has a good name for itself. I really appreciate yall taking time to read this and look forward to hearing some of your feed back.

Hey brother, former 0311 here (I got out in late 2011). I'm currently in the hiring process with DPS (waiting on the call to head to Austin for my oral board) and I've done 2 ride alongs with the Troopers in my area. This is just my $0.02 and observations from those ride alongs. I've done no other ride outs except with DPS, and DPS has been at the top of my list from day one, so I'm kinda jaded.
                Within 1 hour of going on my first ride along, I knew this was something I wanted to make a career out of. Hard do describe without going off on a 4 page tangent about my likes and dislikes, but there was a lot of similarities that I observed between how DPS is run and how [the good parts] of life in the Corps was. There is very little micromanagement that I observed or heard from the Troopers talking during lunch breaks (something I despised about the USMC), Troopers have their assigned area, and they do their thing--there are no set 'beats' that the Trooper was assigned to, the laptop in the Trooper vehicle didn't have a list of calls we had to investigate--all calls or issues came over the radio via dispatch. You mentioned looking for a department that had a strong sense of camaraderie, and here is where I believe DPS shines. While on a dinner break with all the Troopers in the area, and hearing them talk about all manner of things, I really got the sense that I was back in the Corps talking about stuff, joking about stuff, complaining about stuff, etc. Like I said, hard to describe, but the camaraderie was very, very evident, and I could tell that all the Troopers there loved what they did. That was a powerful moment for me--again, hard to describe, but merely reinforced my convictions that DPS was the place where I wanted to make my career. I'll stop here, but I'd encourage you to go to your local DPS office and schedule ride alone. Every single Trooper that I've interacted with has been great and very personable. If you actually want more of my insights into DPS, shoot me a PM.
                That being said, at the very least I'd encourage you to sign up for ride alongs with your local PD and SO, so YOU can get a feel for what you may or may not like.
                Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.
                Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

Comment

Hey Cody I am a current TX Trooper so I'm a little biased but this is a great job! Dps also loves prior military. Message me if you have any other questions.

Comment

Hey Cody I am a current TX Trooper so I'm a little biased but this is a great job! Dps also loves prior military. Message me if you have any other questions.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5771 users online. 340 members and 5431 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X