300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change to HPD class schedule

the HPD Academy class schedule has a slight change.

223 with still start on May 25 and will still include a $5,000 signing bonus.

224 has moved from June 29 to July 6. This class wild NOT have a $5,000 signing bonus BUT starting salary base salary will be raised from $35,000 to $42,000!

225 will still start on October 12 with the higher base salary.

Better get in while the getting is good!

so the starting salary for the may class is $35 for the the first year then raised to $42 the second? It also sounds like the may class will fill the recruiting needs and the july/oct classes will be much smaller?

Comment

No on both. firs year base salary goes to $42K.

We have no plans to have smaller classes. We like to have at least 70 per class but we will gladly take 80.
      Originally posted by nyislesfan42 View Post
      so the starting salary for the may class is $35 for the the first year then raised to $42 the second? It also sounds like the may class will fill the recruiting needs and the july/oct classes will be much smaller?

Comment

10-4. I'm gonna shoot for the may class, but I've been waiting two weeks for my high school transcript. Need to call them this week to make sure it was sent. Is there a deadline for being processed for the may class?

Comment

If I were to be applying for the October class at HPD when should I start filing an application/pulling paperwork together? I'm graduating with my BS Psychology this summer in August so I'm a little concerned about the timing in how long it would take to figure if I'd have a shot. I'm also looking into Austin and Plano PD if anyone has any info for them.

Comment

i would not start the application process until after the July class but I would start getting all my paperwork together right now! Some of it can be time consuming and tedious. Also, I would not wait until after you graduate to start the application process. You do not need the completed degree to be accepted. You need only 48 semester hours. Keep in mind, IN NO WAY AM TELLING YOU NOT TO GET YOUR DEGREE.

If you are in the Houston area, you are welcome to attend one of our Run With Your Recruiter events. See www.hpdcareer.com for more details on HPD and Run with your recruiter

Originally posted by bauer48 View Post
            If I were to be applying for the October class at HPD when should I start filing an application/pulling paperwork together? I'm graduating with my BS Psychology this summer in August so I'm a little concerned about the timing in how long it would take to figure if I'd have a shot. I'm also looking into Austin and Plano PD if anyone has any info for them.

Comment

Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
              i would not start the application process until after the July class but I would start getting all my paperwork together right now! Some of it can be time consuming and tedious. Also, I would not wait until after you graduate to start the application process. You do not need the completed degree to be accepted. You need only 48 semester hours. Keep in mind, IN NO WAY AM TELLING YOU NOT TO GET YOUR DEGREE.

If you are in the Houston area, you are welcome to attend one of our Run With Your Recruiter events. See www.hpdcareer.com for more details on HPD and Run with your recruiter
              Yeah I'm definitely finishing my degree this summer. My lease for my apartment ends in late August so I'm just trying to figure out where I'm applying and where I'll be living, especially since if I do go to Houston I'll probably move back in with my parents in Cypress for a few months before finding an apartment (I'm currently in Plano). So definitely get materials together before summer, and start application process in July probably?

Also CAV (or anyone else), just a curiosity, in your personal opinion, what's your perception of cadets who enter HPD with higher ed degrees at 4-year colleges/masters programs compared to those who enter out of community college or the military? It's just ever since I was a kid, my parents and friends always looked down on law enforcement as a job done by grunts and people who can't get anywhere in life or couldn't get into college, and since I'm seriously interested in doing it now and have discussed it with them, they seem to be disappointed that they've put me through college only to see me think about doing police work. I understand that the academy will view everyone as equals trying to reach their goal of wearing the badge and other ambitions, but I'd like to know how other officers or administration personally feel about people who went through years of college or something else.

Comment

HPD has a very large percentage of officers who have 4 year degrees. When Lee P Brown was the Mayor of Houston, he sought to professionalize the department by increasing the pay for those officers who had degrees. Since then, we have also created a tuition reimbursement program for officers.

BA gets $140 per paycheck, MA gets $240 per paycheck and PhD or JD get's $340 per paychecks. (we get two paychecks a month.)

Personally, I started HPD using the Military qualification. I had 47 semester hours of college, but at the time, it took 60 hours of college to qualify. During my career, I earned a BA and an MBA and I can say without a doubt, it has helped me. (Not that the leadership I learned in the Army didn't help.)

HPD places such a premium on college education that you can not promote past sergeant with out. To promote to LT, you have to have an Associate's degree or 65 hours towards a BA. To promote to captain, you have to have a BA. To promote to Assistant Chief (my rank) you have to have a Master's degree. You also get extra points on your promotional exam for education. 1 point for a BA or Honorable discharge from the military, 2 points for a Masters, and 3 points for a PdH or JD - and yes, we have PhD's in HPD.

Law Enforcement is not just a job, it is a profession. And all professions benefit from formal education.

Originally posted by bauer48 View Post
                Yeah I'm definitely finishing my degree this summer. My lease for my apartment ends in late August so I'm just trying to figure out where I'm applying and where I'll be living, especially since if I do go to Houston I'll probably move back in with my parents in Cypress for a few months before finding an apartment (I'm currently in Plano). So definitely get materials together before summer, and start application process in July probably?

Also CAV (or anyone else), just a curiosity, in your personal opinion, what's your perception of cadets who enter HPD with higher ed degrees at 4-year colleges/masters programs compared to those who enter out of community college or the military? It's just ever since I was a kid, my parents and friends always looked down on law enforcement as a job done by grunts and people who can't get anywhere in life or couldn't get into college, and since I'm seriously interested in doing it now and have discussed it with them, they seem to be disappointed that they've put me through college only to see me think about doing police work. I understand that the academy will view everyone as equals trying to reach their goal of wearing the badge and other ambitions, but I'd like to know how other officers or administration personally feel about people who went through years of college or something else.
                Last edited by CptCAV; 02-05-2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Any chance they give you any extra if you have two bachelors? Silly question, but figured I'd ask since I have one and i'm working on another.

Comment

There is a chance....same chance that i have for winning the Boston Marathon ;0

Originally posted by nyislesfan42 View Post
                    Any chance they give you any extra if you have two bachelors? Silly question, but figured I'd ask since I have one and i'm working on another.

Comment

CptCAV, you actually have a higher chance of winning the Boston Marathon (if you prepare well enough) as compared to someone who didnt prepare, lol.

Comment

CptCAV,

I have an undergraduate four year degree and 18 graduate level credits hours. Would one get extra pay each pay period for having 18 graduate level credit hours or just the $140 until I complete my masters? I guess the question is do officers get reimbursed for having graduate level credit hours even if they do not have a complete masters degree yet? The plan is to complete the master degree if accepted into HPD after the academy and probation periods.

Thanks!
                        Last edited by Texan101; 02-12-2015, 05:43 PM.
                        When you go home, tell them of us and say: For their tomorrow, we gave our today - Semper Fidelis

Comment

You would only get the Bachelors pay incentive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for the answer. Time to complete it, extra pay doesn't hurt.

Originally posted by jcmzhou View Post

When you go home, tell them of us and say: For their tomorrow, we gave our today - Semper Fidelis

Comment

This is correct. But, HPD does offer tuition reimbursement that would pay for most, if not all, of your graduate level tuiton.

Originally posted by jcmzhou View Post

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3565 users online. 192 members and 3373 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X