Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused with misdemeanor classes! - Houston PD

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Confused with misdemeanor classes! - Houston PD

    Hi guys,

    I am officially registered to fly down to Houston PD in April for their fast track out of state applicant testing week! Because they don't do the background investigation before you fly down and do all the tests, I have a question.
    When I was 20, 3 years ago, I was cited for underage consumption. In ohio this is a first class misdemeanor. Because it was my first offense, I was given the option of a diversion program to avoid a conviction. I completed the program, and my record was expunged (don't worry, I know to still include this in my application).

    I spoke to a recruiter and they said it wouldn't be a problem because in MOST states (including texas), it's a class C misdemeanor which is a very low misdemeanor (among traffic citations). But, Ohio has pretty strict underage drinking laws and a first class misdemeanor in ohio is the most severe.

    Will this be a problem? Since it's the most severe misdemeanor in ohio, would I be disqualified? Or because I was not convicted, and never went to trial, does it not count? I was told by the courts that my record was expunged and that I can say on applications that I was NOT convicted. But, because background investigators have access to expunged records, I want to be as clear as possible.

    I am asking because if it would be a problem or disqualify me, I would like to know before I flew down to Houston. They do not conduct the background investigation until I physically hand in my application myself so they would have no previous knowledge of the charge until I already spent the money to go down there.

    Thanks for any help!

  • #2
    its best that you note it, as long as you note it you should be fine. They will ask you for more details later on but be sure to note it.

    Comment


    • #3
      If it is as you say, just an underage consumption, we will view it as a Class C Misdeanor. It is not an Automatic DQ.

      List everything. Let us make the determination if it is going to DQ you or not. Be completely honest. All too often I see applicants getting permanenly DQ'd for be untruthful about something that would not have DQ'd them to begin with. Once an applicant is DQ'd for untruthfulness, their career is over before it got started.

      Assistant Chief Vazquez
      Houston Police Department


      Originally posted by jtroy13 View Post
      Hi guys,

      I am officially registered to fly down to Houston PD in April for their fast track out of state applicant testing week! Because they don't do the background investigation before you fly down and do all the tests, I have a question.
      When I was 20, 3 years ago, I was cited for underage consumption. In ohio this is a first class misdemeanor. Because it was my first offense, I was given the option of a diversion program to avoid a conviction. I completed the program, and my record was expunged (don't worry, I know to still include this in my application).

      I spoke to a recruiter and they said it wouldn't be a problem because in MOST states (including texas), it's a class C misdemeanor which is a very low misdemeanor (among traffic citations). But, Ohio has pretty strict underage drinking laws and a first class misdemeanor in ohio is the most severe.

      Will this be a problem? Since it's the most severe misdemeanor in ohio, would I be disqualified? Or because I was not convicted, and never went to trial, does it not count? I was told by the courts that my record was expunged and that I can say on applications that I was NOT convicted. But, because background investigators have access to expunged records, I want to be as clear as possible.

      I am asking because if it would be a problem or disqualify me, I would like to know before I flew down to Houston. They do not conduct the background investigation until I physically hand in my application myself so they would have no previous knowledge of the charge until I already spent the money to go down there.

      Thanks for any help!

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you sir!
        I am 100% honest and plan on being completely transparent and am very excited that the consumption is not a DQ! Thanks for the reply.

        Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
        If it is as you say, just an underage consumption, we will view it as a Class C Misdeanor. It is not an Automatic DQ.

        List everything. Let us make the determination if it is going to DQ you or not. Be completely honest. All too often I see applicants getting permanenly DQ'd for be untruthful about something that would not have DQ'd them to begin with. Once an applicant is DQ'd for untruthfulness, their career is over before it got started.

        Assistant Chief Vazquez
        Houston Police Department

        Comment


        • #5
          There you go!
          Straight from the Pards mouth.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

          Comment


          • #6
            Hell, it's not even an auto DQ in Ohio.

            Comment


            • #7
              In Texas we have three classes of misdemeanors: A, B, and C. A is the most severe and C is the least.

              In Texas terminology you would have been cited for Consumption by a Minor, generally referred to, around here anyway, as "MIC" (goes along with "MIP" - minor in possession).

              Just a bit of trivia for you.
              Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
              Among Texas' finest
              Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
              Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
              Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the advice.
                Last edited by crazyshadow; 04-21-2015, 04:11 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'll tell you what I think. If "dishonesty," as you say, is an option for you in the application process, you might want to rethink this whole police thing.

                  When you post on an open forum, you might want to consider who might be reading your post. Maybe someone here will let you in on who reads these threads.

                  CV



                  Originally posted by crazyshadow View Post
                  I have a similar question. I got charged with possession of drug paraphernalia in Tennessee over a year ago. From the research that I've done, it looks like in Tennessee it is a class A misdemeanor while in Texas it is a class C misdemeanor. I have since moved back to Texas and am in the process of applying to police academies. I know that I have to state what happened even though my charges were expunged. I was wondering about signing off on never having got a class B misdemeanor before since in Texas it is a C misdemeanor? Would that be something that could disqualify me for dishonesty? Or if I do not sign that I never had a B misdemeanor would that disqualify me?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here's my suggestion to you, be careful what you post in an open forum. Asst. Chief Vazquez hit the nail on the head. You may want to consider another line of work. Being a police officer requires you to be honest and trustworthy and have an amount of intergrity that is unmearsureable. When filling out applications, you had better be 100% truthful because I can promise you, when it comes to the polygraph exam, you will fail it. I'm a polygraph examiner and have seen the demise of many folks because of their lack of honesty.


                    Originally posted by crazyshadow View Post
                    I have a similar question. I got charged with possession of drug paraphernalia in Tennessee over a year ago. From the research that I've done, it looks like in Tennessee it is a class A misdemeanor while in Texas it is a class C misdemeanor. I have since moved back to Texas and am in the process of applying to police academies. I know that I have to state what happened even though my charges were expunged. I was wondering about signing off on never having got a class B misdemeanor before since in Texas it is a C misdemeanor? Would that be something that could disqualify me for dishonesty? Or if I do not sign that I never had a B misdemeanor would that disqualify me?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great advice from some experienced officers! Helps having the Asst. Chief chime in too, should put your mind at ease! If I didn't have to start all over again, I'd love to work for Houston! I spent some time overseas with a Sgt. from Houston, absolutely loves the dept. and had nothing but good things to say! I wish you luck and a long and safe career no matter where you end up!
                      "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The worst thing about HPD is Houston.
                        Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                        Among Texas' finest
                        Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                        Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                        Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 3399 users online. 178 members and 3221 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X