Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Austin Police Department

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Austin Police Department

    Good afternoon all!

    Looking to make the move to Texas from NY and was wondering if anybody has gone through the process with the Austin PD and would like to share their experience. Do you know of any upcoming academies? I just finished and sent out my application today so I'm hoping ill receive something within a month. Any information is helpful.

    thank you

  • #2
    Hey bro, I'm in DE looking to move to TX also.
    I've got a couple of PDs I intend to apply to and would appreciate if we could share experiences.
    Originally posted by catmando View Post
    Good afternoon all!

    Looking to make the move to Texas from NY and was wondering if anybody has gone through the process with the Austin PD and would like to share their experience. Do you know of any upcoming academies? I just finished and sent out my application today so I'm hoping ill receive something within a month. Any information is helpful.

    thank you

    Comment


    • #3
      I know Austin "claims" to be the Capitol of Texas, but everybody knows that the real Capitol of Texas is Houston. Check us out at www.hpdcareer.com

      We are looking to hire 260-320 officers in 2015.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by catmando View Post
        Good afternoon all!

        Looking to make the move to Texas from NY and was wondering if anybody has gone through the process with the Austin PD and would like to share their experience. Do you know of any upcoming academies? I just finished and sent out my application today so I'm hoping ill receive something within a month. Any information is helpful.

        thank you


        Those applying now should be in a November 2015 academy, unless they have prior experience which would qualify them for a summer 2015 modified academy.

        The process is easy. If you aren't a criminal, don't use drugs, are finically stable and have a GED you are in.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thats great to hear! Thank you for the information.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am also looking at moving to Texas to join the APD from California. The next modified academy date is July 2015 and July 2016 and is approximately 4 months long.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've been with APD for a few years now....they are always hiring it seems. The process may have changed a bit from when I applied but it's still pretty quick compared to some departments. Rumor has it there will be possibly 3 academy classes this year (2 regular classes and a modified). But I don't know for sure and as always is subject to change. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.


              Best of luck!

              Comment


              • #8
                Didn't want to make a new thread, hoping someone who has recently tested with APD can answer for me...
                I'm going down in April for my first stage of testing, which includes the physical test. I'm completing all the requirements pretty easily, but am just barely scraping by on the situps. How strict is APD with where your elbow touches and your shoulder blades hitting the ground with each rep? I've found that properly and safely doing a situp means 2 seconds average for each situp... But APD requires 36 in a minute... I find that as soon as I start to speed up my form breaks down...
                How did you all prepare for the sit ups portion of the test? Just doing sit ups every day?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jtroy13 View Post
                  Didn't want to make a new thread, hoping someone who has recently tested with APD can answer for me...
                  I'm going down in April for my first stage of testing, which includes the physical test. I'm completing all the requirements pretty easily, but am just barely scraping by on the situps. How strict is APD with where your elbow touches and your shoulder blades hitting the ground with each rep? I've found that properly and safely doing a situp means 2 seconds average for each situp... But APD requires 36 in a minute... I find that as soon as I start to speed up my form breaks down...
                  How did you all prepare for the sit ups portion of the test? Just doing sit ups every day?
                  I just tested yesterday for the modified academy in July. They are very strict with you elbows either touching your knees or going past your knees and at a minimun you shoulder blades touching the ground. If you don't do it the right way, it won't count. It is 33 a minute, not 36. I did 35 and that is because I have a fairly strong core.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll be a female applying from CA and looking to move to TX. I've been spending about 40-50% of my time in Texas with family over the last 3 years, and have fallen in love with Austin and would love to work for APD. Any suggestions, recommendations for female prospective employees? Anything would be great! Thanks so much!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Get your application in ASAP. They process you based on when they receive your application.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How were they about lifting your hips off the ground? It says on the website that lifting your hips to gain momentum is allowed.
                        My original packet said 33 but now it says 36 on the APD recruiting page so I'll train for 36 just in case.

                        Originally posted by dgtx42 View Post
                        I just tested yesterday for the modified academy in July. They are very strict with you elbows either touching your knees or going past your knees and at a minimun you shoulder blades touching the ground. If you don't do it the right way, it won't count. It is 33 a minute, not 36. I did 35 and that is because I have a fairly strong core.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jtroy13 View Post
                          How were they about lifting your hips off the ground? It says on the website that lifting your hips to gain momentum is allowed.
                          My original packet said 33 but now it says 36 on the APD recruiting page so I'll train for 36 just in case.
                          Yes you can throw or "kip" your hips.

                          That is weird... It was 33 three days ago.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            How long was it before you guys were contacted by APD? My packet was delivered on Jan. 27th and I have yet to receive any kind of acknowledgement from them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              They process you based on when your application was received in the mail. Mine was delivered to APD on december 23rd and I got a call from a recruiter on March 11. So it takes a bit.

                              Originally posted by Hunter98 View Post
                              How long was it before you guys were contacted by APD? My packet was delivered on Jan. 27th and I have yet to receive any kind of acknowledgement from them.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6022 users online. 360 members and 5662 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X