Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How compeitive is Austin for someone without experience?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How compeitive is Austin for someone without experience?

    I have read that Austin hires all that complete the process. How many people apply on average? Debating if I should get some experience before flying out for their process. Is this a good department to apply to out of college?

  • #2
    Kip,

    I'm not steering you away from Austin Police Department because I heard it's a great city and a great place to work, but have you considered the Houston Police Department as well? They have a great application process for out of state applicants. I'm not saying Austin doesn't, but just something to consider. Good Luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jr03 View Post
      Kip,

      I'm not steering you away from Austin Police Department because I heard it's a great city and a great place to work, but have you considered the Houston Police Department as well? They have a great application process for out of state applicants. I'm not saying Austin doesn't, but just something to consider. Good Luck!
      What JR03 said. www.hpdcareer.com

      Minimum requirements are 48 semester hours of college with a 2.0 average or 2 years military service with an honorable discharge or 5 years prior LE experience.

      We are looking at hiring 260 to 300 officers in 2015 with Classes beginning February 3, May 25, June 29 and October 12.

      February, May and June classes receive a $5,000 signing bonus.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
        What JR03 said. www.hpdcareer.com

        Minimum requirements are 48 semester hours of college with a 2.0 average or 2 years military service with an honorable discharge or 5 years prior LE experience.

        We are looking at hiring 260 to 300 officers in 2015 with Classes beginning February 3, May 25, June 29 and October 12.

        February, May and June classes receive a $5,000 signing bonus.
        Sent you a PM

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kip42 View Post
          I have read that Austin hires all that complete the process. How many people apply on average? Debating if I should get some experience before flying out for their process. Is this a good department to apply to out of college?
          Austin PD is no more competitive than Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. If you are not disqualified for criminal history, driving record or drug use... you will more than likely be hired. They are having two regular academies and two modified/lateral academies in 2015.

          Minimum requirement is a GED.

          Out of state process is fairly easy. They group all testing together so you don't have to fly back and forth.

          Comment


          • #6
            What's the out of state process like for Houston PD? I saw Austin PD has you come in twice in three day periods to complete theirs. Is Houston the same?

            Austin lists using a controlled substance within a designated time DQ's you but does not give a time frame. I can't find anything on this from Houston PD. Can any one shed some light on Austin and Houston's drug policies?
            Last edited by Hunter98; 01-21-2015, 11:52 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              read the HPD thread, there is a wealth of information there.

              Comment


              • #8
                We can process out of town applicants in one trip in Houston is you choose the "fast track" option.

                We do not publish our drug criteria, as most departments dont, for obvious reasons. If Friendlyville PD posted that if you did X amount of Y drug within Z timeframe, they just told you how to answer the questions.

                Most departments that do post their drug criteria, do not hire you if you show any deception on the poly.

                Assistant Chief Vazquez
                Houston Police Department


                Originally posted by Hunter98 View Post
                What's the out of state process like for Houston PD? I saw Austin PD has you come in twice in three day periods to complete theirs. Is Houston the same?

                Austin lists using a controlled substance within a designated time DQ's you but does not give a time frame. I can't find anything on this from Houston PD. Can any one shed some light on Austin and Houston's drug policies?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thank you both for your fast replies

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
                    We can process out of town applicants in one trip in Houston is you choose the "fast track" option.

                    We do not publish our drug criteria, as most departments dont, for obvious reasons. If Friendlyville PD posted that if you did X amount of Y drug within Z timeframe, they just told you how to answer the questions.

                    Most departments that do post their drug criteria, do not hire you if you show any deception on the poly.

                    Assistant Chief Vazquez
                    Houston Police Department
                    Can I apply if I am still on active duty with an expected honorable discharge? If so, how many months in advance can I apply?

                    Thanks!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You may want to consider the reputation of your chief and the officer morale in your evaluation as well. I happen to know a couple of officers with HPD and APD. The APD chief is not very well liked by a majority of his officers and officer morale is not good. Every agency has its dirty laundry. I would prefer to work for a chief who will back his officers than one who would sell them out to the local city council or mayor. Try to find officers at the patrol level and get the truth for both agencies. Best of luck to you. Be safe!

                      Originally posted by Hunter98 View Post
                      What's the out of state process like for Houston PD? I saw Austin PD has you come in twice in three day periods to complete theirs. Is Houston the same?

                      Austin lists using a controlled substance within a designated time DQ's you but does not give a time frame. I can't find anything on this from Houston PD. Can any one shed some light on Austin and Houston's drug policies?

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 5971 users online. 357 members and 5614 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X