300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Police Department is hiring

HPD is hiring! We are anticipating 4 classes during the 2015 calendar year. February 2, May 25, June 29 and October 12.

See HPDcareer.com for details, requirments and qualifications.

a $5,000 bonus is being offered to eligible candidates!

are those currently in the process for Feb eligible for the bonus?

Comment

Yes! They are.

Comment

Wow, that's awesome! I hope those of us who are in the process are eligible. It would certainly help relocating from North Carolina!

Comment

great news! thank you!
          Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
          Yes! They are.

Comment

CaptCAV, looks like you posted right before me, that's excellent news!

Comment

By the way, 4 classes this year as opposed to 3? That's really excellent news. I'll pass it on to some buddies getting out of the Marine Corps soon. Is HPD considering recruiting at Camp Lejeune anytime soon? I think you would find numerous interested candidates, especially if you recruit at one of the job fairs on base. Also, just a thought but you may also have luck if you recruit during the mandatory SEPS/TAPS courses (the courses that are required for all Marines leaving the military). If interested, I can put you in contact with someone over there that can get you set up.

In my opinion, HPD would be able to attract alot of candidates over there. There are often numerous police departments recruiting at these events, but I think Marines interested in a career in law enforcement would seriously consider HPD if they were more aware of the tons of opportunities within the department. I also think alot of Marines stationed in North Carolina don't really think of Houston just because it isn't as close as some of the cities around here.

Comment

What exactly is the application process for out-of-state applicants? I saw in the FAQ section that the department is now able to travel (continental United States) in order to process such applicants. I'm curious how this would work for someone like myself living in NH.

Comment

Wow! I'm just waiting for a review by the Chief and if all goes well I will be in the february academy! Thanks for the update captcav!

Comment

This is great. I currently reside in Houston but I'm 19 years old, so unfortunately I cannot apply. This is a fantastic opportunity.

Best of luck to everyone who are currently in the process and to those willing to begin the process with HPD. It's a great department and I had a ride-along with them and they're great, professional and helpful officers.

Comment

yes more information on applying for out of state applicants, i would be coming down from new york..

Comment

Hey guys, I am an out of state applicant myself and would be glad to give you guys some info on the process. Go to HPDCareer.com and gather all of the documents, be very meticulous and ensure you have the exact number of copies, etc. Fill out the online application as well (its all listed on the website). Request an interview and it will not be long before you are contacted by the recruiting staff. They will offer you a 4 or 5 day period to conduct testing...call them back to confirm you can come to Houston as space is limited.

*Note* My process involved 2 trips to Houston, but I've heard of out of state applicants making only a single trip. For this post, we'll assume you'll be flying out twice.

The first trip (after you confirm it with the recruiting staff) will consist of the initial interview with the recruiters, the written test, the physical ability test, and the polygraph. If you pass everything, you go home and wait. At some point, a BI will contact you to inform you he's going to be working on your investigation. Once he finishes your background, you will get another call from HPD to schedule your medical and psych eval. You will fly into Houston a second time to complete these. Following that, its a waiting game until the chain of command signs off to hire you.

Some tips:
                        1. Bring all the required documents to Houston and don't be the guy who is missing something.
                        2. Complete honestly throughout the entire process.
                        3. There is no reason to show up not in shape. The standards for the physical ability test are on the website. Find the video of it on Youtube. Buy some cones and a tape measure and set up the shuttle run course in your yard, at the gym, etc. Practice it a few times so you understand how to do it. It is not hard, nor is the rest of the agility test, and it would be really stupid to fly all of the way out just to fail something stupid.
                        4. The written test is not too hard. The website states its a reading comprehension test.

For out of state applicants considering applying, I would really recommend you do so. I've said this before on here...I'm not from Houston (from the northeast actually), I do not have family in Houston, and coming from the Marine Corps I was open to move pretty much anywhere in the country...ultimately, I settled on HPD. I say this as I get ready to move my family (including an infant son) across the country to hopefully start the academy. I think once you research various options around the country, you'll find its hard to beat the opportunities that HPD offers.

Comment

If anyone else has any questions, especially out of state guys, feel free to PM me. Happy to help out fellow applicants however I can. We all may be working together some day!

Comment

Originally posted by jr03 View Post
                            If anyone else has any questions, especially out of state guys, feel free to PM me. Happy to help out fellow applicants however I can. We all may be working together some day!
                            Same here, I'd be glad to help

Comment

This sounds good! I'll take a pay cut coming from a department up north (Chicago), but I hear Houston is a great place to work. Was looking for a bigger police department. San Diego and LA....cost of living is too high! Houston seems to just fit right. I'm 32 with a lot of gas left in the tank...lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4660 users online. 308 members and 4352 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X