300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas DPS B-2015

Here we go in the next installment of Texas DPS academy threads! Its early but I've started the process for B-2015 and live in Austin so if anyone needs help, tips, where to stay, where to eat, etc, let me know. I'm pretty excited about this potential career change and getting to know other applicants!

Hey hoss, I'm planning on applying as soon as I get into this next semester of school. I was in the b2009 class and had to leave for medical reasons, then they changed qualifications and knocked me out of the next class. So I had to go back to school and get more college hours. I'm pretty excited to try and get back in this one, hopefully it works out.... Well good luck to you and hope to see you in July.
    Tx DPS Academy
    Sept. '09

Comment

Quick question for all of you filling out the application. Are the documents required to be uploaded during the application or to be brought with during the processing?

Asking because I have not heard back from the recruiter in my area yet and wanted to get my application submitted ASAP. I was looking at getting my high school transcript but it won't let me send a certified copy to my house, only to the place of employment. Thanks for the help. Good luck to everyone!

Comment

This is my limited understanding, but in my experience the initial online application just gets the ball rolling, then you submit hard copies to the recruiter who goes over it and confirms you meet eligibility. If you got the "submit everything within 30 days" email after the online application submission, i'd suggest contacting your recruiter again and having your school send to whatever address he/she tells you. Its still early so you've got time.

-Gerrod

Comment

Thank you sir.

Comment

This was correct. I submitted the online application last night and I received an email today of where to send or deliver the required paperwork.

Comment

How far and often do they run in the DPS academy? Want to start preparing now. What's a typical PT session like? I have read that the running is insane. But is this 5 or 7 days per week?

Comment

Hey Kip, the academy isn't as much running anymore. It's been geared more toward Crossfit workouts. The first 6-8 weeks is pure bodyweight workouts in a mall parking lot. Burpees, pushups, abs, body builders, etc. After that you transition to two groups. One group will row and lift, the other will go to the track and run. PT is 5 days a week for about 1.5 to 2 hrs depending. It's all high intensity, so don't come in with any nagging injuries if at all possible because they will be agitated more and more each day. The academy is 5 days a week. (Sunday night- Friday afternoon. Mainly Mon-Fri. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

What's the injury fail our rate? How far are you running distance wise? If injured during training what are your options?

Comment

Physical and written tests are scheduled for the 16th. Now just hope I can row fast enough by then.

Comment

Originally posted by brian2012 View Post
                      Physical and written tests are scheduled for the 16th. Now just hope I can row fast enough by then.
                      How fast and far do you have to row on the machine?

Comment

Originally posted by kip42 View Post
                        How fast and far do you have to row on the machine?
                        2,000 meters and with my age and weight my time is approximately 9 minutes and 29 seconds. That is the minimum passing time. DPS has a calculator on their site to give you the passing time and a link to a spreadsheet that can calculate your times and give you a percentage higher than 50%.

Comment

Question for anyone who knows or have already taken the PT test. What is the resistance level for the rower? Training at a medium to high level just in case. It would be nice if it was low!

Comment

It is usually set at level 5.

Comment

PT and written tests passed. Just waiting on a date for my polygraph.

Anyone else have any progress so far?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3207 users online. 151 members and 3056 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X