300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM plate with Texas MVI

I work in a town about 60 miles from the Texas-New Mexico border. Lately I've been seeing a lot of Texas MVIs with New Mexico plates. Is that PC to stop. Or does anyone know why they have that?
    And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak. That we are all that stands, between the monsters and the weak.

Originally posted by Sandie23 View Post
    I work in a town about 60 miles from the Texas-New Mexico border. Lately I've been seeing a lot of Texas MVIs with New Mexico plates. Is that PC to stop. Or does anyone know why they have that?
    If the car is registered in New Mexico I would say no. Though I'm sure someone here will disagree.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!, people purchase vehicles all the time from out of state and just leave the sticker on the vehicle. No law against it. I grew up in NY 3 miles from Jersey and same thing there....people buy cars from other states and leave the stickers on the vehicle. Heck, mine is registered in Florida but I have a Texas MVI sticker on it from when I bought it 2 years ago in TX.

Purchasing vehicles from other states sometimes saves you money on taxes or they may have just gotten a good deal. I did it but registered my car in my home state of Florida being I'm still active duty military.
      Last edited by 31BLaxer; 11-07-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Ok, then here is a different take.....

In Texas vehicles are required to have two plates. One in the front and one in the rear. Are out of state cars with one tag then fair game? I say no as if they are legally registered in another state then they are in compliance. But we have a few officers that disagree and will stop for that. But I like to err on the side of caution.

Comment

If they are not required to have in in the state they are registered ,they are not required to have it driving here.
          They stop the wrong one trying to use that a PC ,they will find out after the phone calls made to their office.

No difference than a temp tag,Thats also only required on the back till the real ones come in and also not PC to make a stop unless the dates expired.

Comment

States like Kansas, Florida have 1 tag in the rear...again, absolutely not. Same with inspection stickers....We see Texas registered cars with out of date inspection stickers all the time but you can not enforcement another states inspection laws. Registration is different but like I said, some states only have 1 plate. If you have officers stopping cars cause their state only has 1 tag and they think that's PC for a stop, your as wrong as wrong can get....Good luck with the civil law suit over rights violations.

Comment

I talked with a guy a while ago that had a Missouri MVI and both Texas and MO plates. He said the TX plates were expired and he just left them on to be cool. I explained it was a good way to have a roadside conversation. He said he'd take 'em off as soon as he got home. (His wife works for our County Attorney.)
              Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
              Among Texas' finest
              Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
              Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
              Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Yeah, I've seen that in Florida too where people from their home state do that. Its actually illegal.

Comment

I dont think that would be a good stop. It might be a good stop in NM but not TX.

Now if the car had TX plates and NM inspection (no TX inspection) then its a good stop.

Comment

Well, I never considered they could've just left the old MVI sticker on when they registered the car in NM. I haven't stopped anyone for it. I am still in FTO and was curious because my FTO didn't have a definite answer.
                    And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak. That we are all that stands, between the monsters and the weak.

Comment

That's day 1 knowledge for a FTO. Your FTO should have known that. That's like saying you can stop and arrest someone for merely looking suspicious.

Comment

I say no to the MVI sticker. It would be different if it were a Texas registration sticker. Nothing articulable coming to mind for that one. Anxious to see what others have to say though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5670 users online. 342 members and 5328 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X