300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral

Just wanted to know if anyone knows of departments that accept lateral transfers from out of state? Or if anyone can recommend a department, I've looked into SAPD, FWPD, Dallas PD, Austin PD and Houston PD.

Can anyone provide any insight?

Also, to anyone that has lateraled to the great state of Texas, how was it? Specifically, NYPD guys with a little time on.

I heard Grand Prairie PD has a great competitive lateral program. They are an aggressive department. Definitely call a recruiter, they are actively hiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

None of those cities accept lateral transfers. Austin does have a modified academy for certified peace officers. Being from a liberal state and city, Austin or Dallas PD wouldn't be bad to work for. However, those two departments would be the last two I'd want to work for in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog911 View Post
        I heard Grand Prairie PD has a great competitive lateral program. They are an aggressive department. Definitely call a recruiter, they are actively hiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Thank you, I will definitely look into their department!

Originally posted by dgtx42 View Post
        None of those cities accept lateral transfers. Austin does have a modified academy for certified peace officers. Being from a liberal state and city, Austin or Dallas PD wouldn't be bad to work for. However, those two departments would be the last two I'd want to work for in the state.
        Thanks! I definitely don't want to work in a liberal city. Would you happen to know any departments off your head that accept laterals? I have close to 7 years experience + military and college.

Comment

Irving PD, Grand Prairie PD and Garland PD accept laterals. Irving has two ex NYPD officers working for them. You can challenge the state certification, but generally the out of state recruits go through a regional academy (4 months) and than do an in house gentlemens course academy. The last part was for Irving specifically. Irving has been doing the lateral program for awhile, so they got it down to a science. Grand Prairie gives brand new take home Tahoes if you live in the city.

Comment

There are no major, primary city departments that accept just laterals, (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Ft. Worth, El Paso, Corpus Christi, or Lubbock). However, a lot of suburban departments do.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashTACP View Post
              Irving PD, Grand Prairie PD and Garland PD accept laterals.

Well, sorta. Garland *sometimes* allows laterals. It's hit or miss. Unless you are from Texas originally, and there are at least a certain number (e.g. 4) or more, than good luck. Even then, its the same academy just less weeks. You go with the other guys and then graduate early. If you want true lateral experience stick with a smaller agency. If you want high pay, go to the academy again. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Comment

If you are from out of state, Grand Prairie will require you attend their full academy, but you'll be paid lateral pay. As mentioned, if you reside inside the city, once you cut probation you're issued a brand new Tahoe to take home. Unlimited overtime.

I've heard Fort Worth is starting a lateral program, that'd be a good agency as well

Comment

Originally posted by kxl77 View Post
                  Just wanted to know if anyone knows of departments that accept lateral transfers from out of state? Or if anyone can recommend a department, I've looked into SAPD, FWPD, Dallas PD, Austin PD and Houston PD.

Can anyone provide any insight?

Also, to anyone that has lateraled to the great state of Texas, how was it? Specifically, NYPD guys with a little time on.
                  I will PM you if you accept them. I was a out of state lateral from a larger metro area. I can fill you in.

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en View Post

I've heard Fort Worth is starting a lateral program, that'd be a good agency as well
                    Our lateral program as it now stands is for in-state only, and only officers who currently work for a department serving a population of 100,000 or more. They didn't have as much success as they wanted with the last class of laterals that ran several years ago, so these changes were made.

There is no official word on the next lateral class. The rumor mill says they want one during 2015, but who knows.

That being said, you can always go thru the full 31 week academy. It sucks when you've been out doing the work with another agency, but it happens. I had 3 prior-service in my class - one trooper and two city.
                    Last edited by fencipede; 10-19-2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Waco does a 5-week academy for out of state officers. Hire in at 2- or 5-year level, should be testing in February.
                      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3264 users online. 167 members and 3097 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X