Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph for prior LEO's

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the early stages of my application to a few agencies in Texas and have yet to polygraph for any of them.

I was a cop in another country for quite some time - and just like any cop - have experienced things "joe public" has not.

I was wondering if there are any LEO's on here who have poly'd for another agency since becoming a cop and how that all worked out.

Any info would be awesome.

First of all, welcome to O.com.

I've taken two polygraphs as a lateral, passed them both and got hired both times. The things they ask you on the poly don't relate to what you've seen / experienced as a cop. They relate to the things you may or may not have done, such as abusing your authority, patronizing prostitutes, taking anything that didn't belong to you, using any illegal substances or abusing alcohol.

When I tested for Houston in 1983, they didn't require a polygraph. I left there (under good terms) and moved back to Illinois; I applied to a much smaller agency which did utilize the poly. If you haven't crossed the line, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The instrument measures and compares; the person administering the poly interprets the results.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Slamdunc,

Thank you for your reply.

I know I have nothing to be concerned about in terms of my background or skeletons in my closet. What concerns me are questions like "have you ever assaulted anyone?" or "have you ever bought drugs?". As a police officer, I have used justified force to effect an arrest or bought drugs as part of a UC play, so I would be inclined to answer yes to those questions. I tend to be an over thinker and not just take things for what they are.

Comment

They aren't going to use that type of thing against you. They separate the legal things you may have done at work. As I said, they want to know about use of illegal substances. If you possessed cocaine while working u.c. or as evidence, it isn't the same. As for the assault, a use of force is not an assault, it is a use of force.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

Well that's a relief. I know it's all subjective to what the person being tested believes is the truth. I just didn't want my own interpretations of the questions to effect what's really being asked.

Comment

Originally posted by CanBac View Post
            Well that's a relief. I know it's all subjective to what the person being tested believes is the truth. I just didn't want my own interpretations of the questions to effect what's really being asked.
            The examiner will structure and phrase the questions (yes or no answers) to get the information they need. Don't overthink anything and absolutely don't try to defeat the instrument. The questions are not about your perception of what you have done, it is about what actually happened. Good luck, you should do fine.

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the good advice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2544 users online. 120 members and 2424 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X