Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas DPS and Austin PD worth the trip to test?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas DPS and Austin PD worth the trip to test?

I'm interested in working for Texas DPS as well as Austin Pd.

How far and often does DPS run? Have heard many recruits fall out bc of the intense running and shin splints. I can run a 7 min mile but have a power lifter build and am by no means a marathon runner.

At what point does Austin give a conditional offer of employment? Just seems like the competition would be very competitive.

Should I get police experience before I spend the money on traveling to test with either Austin or DPS? Does anyone know the applicant to recruit ratio of either department?

Dps is a great dept to work for.

You couldn't pay me enough to work for Austin.

Comment

If you're interested in either of those departments you should apply. No one can answer your question "is it worth it?" Both are large departments. I'm sure both are "competitive," but they both hire lots of people each time they have an academy. So you have a better shot than if you were applying to a department that only had one or two openings.

Comment

Dps does Crossfit for PT now. If you are looking a department I'd go DPS.
        Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac0341 View Post
          Dps does Crossfit for PT now. If you are looking a department I'd go DPS.
          How far and often do they run

Comment

Cardio is every other day at a track. Works more on anaerobic state than long distance. We did more sprints with tabata style running
            Semper Fi

Comment

APD is a great department, regardless of what the haters say.

You'd receive a conditional offer of employment after completing the hiring process... If you complete every step in the hiring process you will get hired.

Comment

Is it based on a test score and then pass fail? If so i'm going to apply. Just don't want to fly out to be turned down since another applicant actually has police experience and therefore is more qualified...

Comment

Originally posted by kip42 View Post
                  Is it based on a test score and then pass fail? If so i'm going to apply. Just don't want to fly out to be turned down since another applicant actually has police experience and therefore is more qualified...
                  With DPS you're better off without police experience. I cannot speak for APD. I wondered once if it was "worth the trip" and have not once regretted making the trip.

Comment

With APD you obviously have to achieve a passing score in whatever portion of the test, but hiring offers aren't based on test scores. If you pass ALL aspects of the hiring process you will be hired alongside the other people who passed all the testing even if their scores were higher or lower than yours. They hire to fill the academy class (lately 40-50 cadets 2x a year).

Comment

Originally posted by Vegvisir View Post
                      With APD you obviously have to achieve a passing score in whatever portion of the test, but hiring offers aren't based on test scores. If you pass ALL aspects of the hiring process you will be hired alongside the other people who passed all the testing even if their scores were higher or lower than yours. They hire to fill the academy class (lately 40-50 cadets 2x a year).
                      To add to this, the order in which you are hired is based solely on when you turn in your application. The earlier you turn in your app, the sooner you'll be hired for whichever class period you're applying for.

Also, we currently do 2 full academy classes and one modified. The modified is typically in January with about 25 cadets. The other two have anywhere between 40 - 60 cadets.
                      Austin Texas Police Department (APD)

03/25/10: PT: Passed
                      03/25/10: Nelson Denny - Passed
                      03/25/10: Writing Sample - Passed
                      03/26/10: INI - Passed
                      03/26/10: MMP - Passed
                      03/26/10: Oral Interview - Passed
                      06/07/10: Background Investigation - Passed
                      09/07/10: Medical/drug screening - Passed
                      09/08/10: Polygraph - Passed
                      09/08/10: Psych evaluation - Passed
                      09/23/10: Eligibility Roster - #26

08/15/2011 - Academy Starts

Comment

Originally posted by usn242 View Post
                        With DPS you're better off without police experience. I cannot speak for APD. I wondered once if it was "worth the trip" and have not once regretted making the trip.
                        It just depends. In some aspects, APD does things differently than other departments, especially smaller departments. At the end of the day, you will do things APD's way and if you can get over how things were done at your department then you will have a though time here.

I think the officers that have the potential to struggle the most transitioning to APD are the ones that come from out of state. Penal code, CCP, transportation code is covered at a more accelerated pace and you have to unlearn and then learn again.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegvisir View Post
                          APD is a great department, regardless of what the haters say.

You'd receive a conditional offer of employment after completing the hiring process... If you complete every step in the hiring process you will get hired.
                          Agreed. Like any agency you go to, there are gonna be things that you like and things that you don't like. I've been very fortunate to have had great chains of command the entire time I've been here. I've had several different sergeants all of whom have looked out for me and kept me out of unnecessary trouble.

The policy manual at APD is 738 pages at last check. Despite being responsible for it all, I don't know everything that's in policy but I do make a good faith effort to do the right thing every time I go to work. Of course I know the major stuff in policy (response to resistance (use of force) policy, pursuit policy, arrest, search and seizure, etc.). The times when I don't know something that I need to know before I take final action, I'll look it up.

To the blowhards, this will sound like a load of BS, but the point is that policy helps us provide consistent service to our community.
                          That consistency helps to legitimize our authority and show that we're not just randomly enforcing laws whenever and on whoever we want. Let's not forget, we are public servants.

For example, people point to the fact that we have to jump through unnecessary hoops to do a consent search. It is BS but we have a lot of young cops that ask to search *everybody* that they come in contact with because they think that they're gonna be the next narc extraordinaire. I can't fault the department for wanting to curb complaints and build trust. This also helps us build stronger cases that are more likely to stand up in court. Of course I know that a part of our job is to act on our reasonable suspicions but how do you think a truly innocent person feels when the police asks to search their car and they truly have nothing in it. I'm playing devil's advocate here but still.

That said, I do complain that our policy manual is too long and it forces cops to do too much thinking. In a lot of respects, that's true. But we have nearly 1700 cops and the phrase there's a 1,000 ways to skin a cat would be translated to there's 1700 ways to skin a cat if we didn't have policy. Our policy helps us reign in the cops that are the outliers and do crazy off-the-wall stuff (still happens though - I'm thinking of one dude in particular that makes me facepalm every time I hear his name). It helps to CYA in this very liberal city that we live in.

IMHO, APD is just what law enforcement will look like in the future. APD used to be a very different department and a lot of the senior guys talk about some of the crazy **** that used to go on and it blows my mind. I joke that I was born too late. The running joke is that every policy has someone's name attached to it...

At the end of the day, if I need to put boot to *** and the situation requires/allows it, I'm gonna do it and not worry about it.

APD is a good department to work for if you're professionally mature. There are a lot of opportunities here as well. I'm not saying that because we do certain things differently that we're better or worse than other departments, but it is what it is.

Comment

ATXSpartan - sounds like you will make a good assistant chief... sign some disciplinary memos of your own! Good job.

Comment

Originally posted by kip42 View Post
                              Just don't want to fly out to be turned down since another applicant actually has police experience and therefore is more qualified...
                              Anywhere in any state you are applying to, you are going to run into this. If you don't have a degree and or military experience and or aren't a prior or current LEO or a combination of the above you won't be a very competitive candidate regardless of where you are applying. Depending on the department you apply to, the out of state thing may hurt you as well. One of the first questions I always asked in oral boards was "why do you want to leave your home state/town and move out here to serve a community that you have no ties to?" It's not to be a dick. It's more to gauge if the applicant is just doing the shotgun approach and applying anywhere and everywhere just for the sake of getting a foot in the door or if they have a genuine interest in a career where they are applying. A lot of guys end up getting homesick and moving home or just use the opportunity to get some experience and go elsewhere or back home. In the current financial climate with tight budgets, most departments can't afford this type of hire and attempt to avoid by avoiding such a risky hire.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3184 users online. 155 members and 3029 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X