Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visiting Texas... need help!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Visiting Texas... need help!

    Hey my friends,
    in septembre/october a couple of german officers are visiting Austin for two weeks. After program, we are three people who want to spend five more days in Texas.
    Maybe you have some ideas what we could do? Maybe something interesting or something action/fun?

    Thank you for the proposals (and sorry for wrong grammar).


    Greetings from Germany!
    www.STAR-IPE.com
    International Police Exchange: USA - Germany - Spain - Switzerland

  • #2
    The STAR program. I would love to do that some day.

    Are you going to ride with patrol officers at all? Maybe we will cross paths.

    I have lived in Austin for 33 years, so here are a few ideas.

    1) Do you like beer? You come from the undisputed beer kingdom of the world, so I'm sure you have very high standards. But there are many small breweries in Central Texas that offer tastings and tours. I have been to a few of them. https://realalebrewing.com/about/tours
    http://www.liveoakbrewing.com/tour/
    http://jesterkingbrewery.com/tasting-room/
    http://www.shiner.com/brewery/tours
    http://365thingsaustin.com/2013/02/0...brewery-tours/ There are many others that I'm sure you can find.

    2) Austin City Limits Music Festival October 3-5 and 10-12. http://www.aclfestival.com/2014-lineup/ I don't know the exact dates you will be in town. The tickets are sold out, but you can always purchase them through brokers and on craigslist http://austin.craigslist.org/search/tia?query=acl (there will be more for sale closer to the festival dates. I've gone to this festival for many years and had a great time.

    3) Barbecue! It's the official state food of Texas. I recommend a short drive to Lockhart, Texas and visit Smitty's Barbecue. My personal favorite. But there are many others to try such as Franklin (Austin) or Coopers (Llano and New Braunfels).

    You may already know this, but there are many German settlements in Texas such as New Braunfels, Fredericksburg, Boerne and many more.

    I advise you to NOT spend much time at the bars on 6th Street unless you want cheap liquor and cheaper women and probably a few fights.

    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by allen_gamble; 07-15-2014, 03:34 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks! Last month we have had some officers from Texas (and other States) in Hamburg, so feel free to join STAR and visit Germany.
      I think it is a great thing for everybody in Law Enforcement... And you will find new friends

      But now to your ideas:
      OF COURSE I LIKE BEER^^So breweries sounds good. Same for BBQ! We spend the first two weeks in Austin and I thinks the officersa where we stay will show us Austin.
      For the other five days we want to see some more of Texas. Maybe Houston and/or Porto Christi? And maybe you have an idea for some Action (Rodeo, Rafting, etc.)?
      www.STAR-IPE.com
      International Police Exchange: USA - Germany - Spain - Switzerland

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post

        3) Barbecue! It's the official state food of Texas. I recommend a short drive to Lockhart, Texas and visit Smitty's Barbecue. My personal favorite. But there are many others to try such as Franklin (Austin) or Coopers (Llano and New Braunfels).
        CopHH,

        Don't listen to him. Go to Kreuz market. It's just down the street from Smitty's. The BBQ is better and the place is cleaner.

        Actually, they are both owned by the same family. They just split into two restaurants after a family feud started in the 1990s.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          CopHH,

          Don't listen to him. Go to Kreuz market. It's just down the street from Smitty's. The BBQ is better and the place is cleaner.

          Actually, they are both owned by the same family. They just split into two restaurants after a family feud started in the 1990s.
          You all shut the hell up!! Franklins BBQ on 11th, just east of IH-35, is and will always be the best BBQ. You have not eaten BBQ, until you have gone to Franklins. My three hours in line was well worth it!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Come down to the beach in Corpus Christi. It a three hour drive from Austin. You can also visit the Lexington WWII aircraft carrier, fish, eat some real Mexican food, go to Schlitterbahn, (if its open by then), maybe go on a ride along, and check out some of the bars throughout the city.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've always thought of Corpus Christi as kind of a dump. (Sorry sgtx)

              I like Galveston Island. It's about 346 km from Austin. You have the ocean, the food is nice and they've tried to keep the old town area (historic district) looking like it did 100 years ago. You can also drive onto the free ferry and go across to the Bolívar peninsula and explore the beaches across the bay. http://www.galveston.com/default.asp Over on the Bolivar peninsula the sand is hard packed enough that you can drive a car on the beach in most places. A lot of people drive along the beach in desolated areas to go beach combing. In past trips I have found net floats, a life boat and a sonobouy.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                I've always thought of Corpus Christi as kind of a dump. (Sorry sgtx)

                I like Galveston Island. It's about 346 km from Austin. You have the ocean, the food is nice and they've tried to keep the old town area (historic district) looking like it did 100 years ago. You can also drive onto the free ferry and go across to the Bolívar peninsula and explore the beaches across the bay. http://www.galveston.com/default.asp Over on the Bolivar peninsula the sand is hard packed enough that you can drive a car on the beach in most places. A lot of people drive along the beach in desolated areas to go beach combing. In past trips I have found net floats, a life boat and a sonobouy.
                You consider CC a dump and then you recommend Galveston?! Thats funny.

                Comment


                • #9
                  BBQ is something for EVERY day... so I think I will try all of them
                  And from Austin to Housten -> Galveston/Bolvar Peninsula -> Corpus Christi could be a nice trip. Is it possible to drive along the coast?
                  Maybe over San Antonio back to Austin?

                  Does someone has an idea for some action/adventure stuff? And maybe a tip for a good hotel/motel (not to expensive)?


                  btw
                  My best BBQ was at "Phils BBQ" in San Diego. But I think every area has his own "worlds best BBQ"
                  www.STAR-IPE.com
                  International Police Exchange: USA - Germany - Spain - Switzerland

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CopHH View Post
                    BBQ is something for EVERY day... so I think I will try all of them
                    And from Austin to Housten -> Galveston/Bolvar Peninsula -> Corpus Christi could be a nice trip. Is it possible to drive along the coast?
                    Maybe over San Antonio back to Austin?

                    Does someone has an idea for some action/adventure stuff? And maybe a tip for a good hotel/motel (not to expensive)?


                    btw
                    My best BBQ was at "Phils BBQ" in San Diego. But I think every area has his own "worlds best BBQ"
                    You can skydive in Port Aransas, which is in the Corpus Christi region.

                    Another fun thing to do in New Braunsfels, (German town in between San Antonio and Austin), is to float the Guadalupe River.

                    You can also go ziplining in the Wimberley Valley, in between San Antonio and Austin.

                    Or go visit Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio or Schlitterbahn in New Braunsfels.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks! I think zipling and float the river could be funny.
                      www.STAR-IPE.com
                      International Police Exchange: USA - Germany - Spain - Switzerland

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I take a lot of pride in my state, but to be honest Texas does not have very nice beaches. I still like them because of the childhood memories. Corpus Christi isn't bad, and the USS Lexington is a very cool ship to explore. Also, there are many fishing boats for hire that will take you out to sea to try to catch some big fish.

                        Schliterbahn in New Braunfels is always fun and so is floating the Guadalupe river. Although neither of these is really action/adventure. The Guadalupe is not a very fast river, but it's relaxing. San Antonio is a fun city. The Alamo is a very interesting historic site, and the Riverwalk is a nice place to spend an afternoon. I don't know what to tell you about Houston and Dallas. They are huge cities. I've been to both many times, and I honestly don't know what is there.

                        If you want adventure, take a drive down to Juarez, Mexico and see if you can make it back without getting your head cut off by drug cartels.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I want fun and adventure, not a siucide trip^^
                          Think we will visit Houston. Maybe Dallas too, but we don´t have enough time to do everything we want. An idea for a hotel/motel?
                          www.STAR-IPE.com
                          International Police Exchange: USA - Germany - Spain - Switzerland

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you're looking for historic sites in Houston, there is Battleship Texas (USS Texas) and the San Jacinto Monument.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dgtx42 View Post
                              You consider CC a dump and then you recommend Galveston?! Thats funny.
                              Screw both of you... go to South Padre!
                              Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

                              "There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

                              R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

                              Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6292 users online. 334 members and 5958 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X