300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin PD Hiring Process Length

I've been looking through the forums and haven't found an answer to my question. So here it is: I was told by an APD recruiter that they are planning on having an academy in August of 2015 (after I graduate from college). They told me to apply in the fall of this year, but after reading some posts online, I've found that it takes some people over a year to get from their initial application to an academy. If anyone is going through the process now or has recently gotten through an academy, how long did the process take for you?

The reason you haven't found an answer is because there is no definite answer. It took me 2 years from application to start of academy, but that was in 2009 right after a hiring freeze when the economy was in the crapper and cities everywhere had huge budget cuts. So yeah, it could be over a year or it could be less than a year. No one is going to give you a definite answer because it's always subject to the budget and city council approval. Unfortunately, you're just gonna have to have a contingency plan for if you make it onto the eligibility list and have to wait a year. Sometimes there are work opportunities within the department such as police equipment or downtown rangers that will hire you til your academy starts. Otherwise you might just have to get an entry level job somewhere and live on a tight budget for awhile.
    Hope that helps.

Comment

From the day I applied to the day I started the academy was almost exactly one year. That was from April 2011 to April 2012, and I was lucky. Like allen_gamble stated above, some people wait much longer. But I was also hired when APD began having multiple academy classes back to back. Luckily for you, APD is continuing to hire people at a pretty steady rate, but that can change at a moments notice. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for your input. I guess I will apply in the next month or so just to be safe. It would really suck to just barely miss the August academy just because the process took a little bit longer than expected. Again, thanks for the info!

Comment

How's the morale been down there lately Allen? I'd think with the latest media driven issue (suspension for the officer who caught the robbery suspect) that a lot of people would be thinking about jumping ship. Especially with all of the other minor things that Austin has with issues (obviously other than pay because that's a fat check).

Comment

Originally posted by Cannady View Post
            How's the morale been down there lately Allen? I'd think with the latest media driven issue (suspension for the officer who caught the robbery suspect) that a lot of people would be thinking about jumping ship. Especially with all of the other minor things that Austin has with issues (obviously other than pay because that's a fat check).
            First off, I truly think the officer you spoke of is going to be vindicated at the arbitration. It would not be the first time. From what I know, I think it's a bullsh*t suspension, and it honestly surprises me. What surprises me even more is that public opinion in liberal Austin, TX seems to even support the officer on this one. Most of the comments I read to online news articles praised the officer and seemed confused as to why he was being suspended.

As for people jumping ship.. I haven't heard any rumblings at all. I guess it's just something you learn to live with. I mean even if the 10 day suspension is upheld, it's maybe a couple grand hit to your wallet. The union reimburses a little bit of that. You can easily pick up a few overtime shifts to cover most of the rest. I would probably feel pretty bitter towards the brass, but the union and the rest of the dept has your back. I feel like that definitely helps morale a little.

I've only been on not quite 3 years, but I know some guys who got spanked pretty bad and are still here going on 10 or 15 years with no plans of leaving.

But like you said, the check is a major motivator in putting up with the other BS. I'm grateful for this job every single day. And we still have fun and catch bad guys.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4819 users online. 278 members and 4541 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X