300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts

Does anyone have any info or experience with contracts and how they work in police?
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

I don't have any first hand experience, but from what I understand it's usually a contract that you would sign to work for a specific number of time, like 2 or 3 years. I also usually hear of agencies doing this only when they pay to send you to an academy. I don't know if DPS still does it or not but they used to require a 1 year contract. Basically, if you graduated you were on the hook for a year, if you quit within a year you owed $10,000 (or prorated amount). But, if you quit one day short of graduation day, you were free and clear, and had your TCOLE to try and go work someplace else with. It was not uncommon for Austin PD to be outside willing to pay the 10k as a sign on bonus if they went to Austin PD.

I have never heard of an agency that didn't send you to the academy, asking you to sign a contract. There is really nothing to hold over your head, unless they are giving you some sort of relocation bonus or something. You sign a contract for 2 years, they give you uniforms and FTO, and you quit after 9 months. Odds are they haven't sent you to any high dollar training in 9 months, and you gave back the uniforms, what else do they want from you? It would cost them more money to try and get a lawyer to enforce the contract, than they would be trying to get from you.

I think it's just a way to try and keep you honest, and if you leave they can tell your next agency you don't hold up your end of the deal. I could be way off base here, it's certainly happen before, but that's just my opinion of it.
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
    -Sun Tzu

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4423 users online. 219 members and 4204 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X