Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPS PRT: run/crunches/push-ups vs row machine

Hello!

Who has tested (initially, pre-academy, qualifications) with the Concept 2 machine? I have my PRT coming up and I am torn as to which way I should go, since we are given the option. I am confident, after training hard, that I can pass either option, but I struggle with running, so I am leaning more toward the row machine. I can run the required time, as I do all the time, but there is anxiety about it because of a previous PAT. Only other issue is that I get on a row machine VERY rarely. I am going to make it a point to do it more often, though.

Ready? Set. GO!
    Last edited by alex_jay; 07-02-2014, 05:04 PM.

So you have the option to row instead of run? Interesting... although I think it's a strange qualifier. So far I've never had to row a boat at this job.

When I applied (Austin PD) they still had the obstacle course in addition to pushups and crunches. I was in the last group of applicants before they did away with the obstacle course. I actually think it is a pretty good and fair test of an applicants physical abilities as related to the job. From what I remember we had to put on a duty belt and run a medium distance, go up a bunch of stairs, climb through a window, kick open a door, crawl under some kind of obstacle, climb over a wall, and drag a dummy a certain number of feet.. all in a reasonable amount of time.

So far in my first couple years I've had to do every one of these things on the job. I'd say these are pretty good minimum physical requirements for a patrol officer.

Anyhow, the C2 rowing machine is a good workout. I'd probably just do the run though. What's the distance/time for the run vs the row?

Comment

I did the rower when I went through; I knew I could score better on that. Talk to your recruiter and find out what your percentile on the rower would be (age, weight & time) and match it up to your traditional PRT score.
      THP

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
        So you have the option to row instead of run? Interesting... although I think it's a strange qualifier. So far I've never had to row a boat at this job.

When I applied (Austin PD) they still had the obstacle course in addition to pushups and crunches. I was in the last group of applicants before they did away with the obstacle course. I actually think it is a pretty good and fair test of an applicants physical abilities as related to the job. From what I remember we had to put on a duty belt and run a medium distance, go up a bunch of stairs, climb through a window, kick open a door, crawl under some kind of obstacle, climb over a wall, and drag a dummy a certain number of feet.. all in a reasonable amount of time.

So far in my first couple years I've had to do every one of these things on the job. I'd say these are pretty good minimum physical requirements for a patrol officer.

Anyhow, the C2 rowing machine is a good workout. I'd probably just do the run though. What's the distance/time for the run vs the row?
        The minimum run time for my age and gender is 16:07 with 50 crunches and 35 push-ups. That run time is doable for me, no doubt, but I am a terrible runner (even after much training), so I have a mental block. Yeah, yeah, get over it...I know...but it's tough.

Comment

The rower is a total body workout, that's less likely to cause injury. At least I believe that was the reason they wanted to go to the rower. If you push yourself, you will think you're running a 1.5miler. 1500m on the rower is just another form of VO2max that has less impact.

Comment

I graduated from A-14 and you will have to do both if you get accepted to the academy once you get there. Have you looked up your time for the rower? It's a lot harder than people think. The more you weigh the less time you get. Hope that helps.

Comment

I am planning on applying for B-15 in December and I am wondering about all of the pre-academy testing and such along with everything regarding the academy. Are there any tips or pointers you can give? Thanks.

Comment

For testing you will have a math and reading test along with your physical test. The math is basic but you'll need to brush up on fractions, converting, decimals etc. Reading was really simple. The academy sucks while you are there. Days start around 4:30 and will end around 8 or 9. Most of the day is spent in a classroom, and is very similar to a military boot camp. You'll march around the hallways, square corners, etc. A LOT of tests happen in the academy, probably around 25-30 at least. They aren't too bad for the most part. Make sure you have a good support system at home because you won't have your cellphone for quite a while, and won't get to talk to anyone during the week. It sucks while you're there, but you feel pretty accomplished if you graduate.

Comment

My recruiter noted that all tests are averaged together. With the rowing English and math tests you average three grades versus six with traditional testing. So if you are weak on sit ups or pushups it brings your overall grade down. The rowing is easier. Tried it once and according to my recruiter I am in 90% range.

Oh and first night we have to do the rower and next morning do the traditional prt for a base line. You will have to do 50%
                  Last edited by drnls; 07-26-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jo123 View Post
                    I graduated from A-14 and you will have to do both if you get accepted to the academy once you get there. Have you looked up your time for the rower? It's a lot harder than people think. The more you weigh the less time you get. Hope that helps.
                    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainin...quirements.htm

"All new recruits that are accepted to attend the upcoming academy must pass the entrance physical readiness test on the Concept2 Rower at the 50 percentile according to their age and gender. New recruits accepted into the upcoming academy will not have the option to performance the three event test (abdominal crunches, push-ups, 1 ½ mile run) for their academy entrance physical readiness test. New recruits that do not pass the entrance physical readiness test on the Concept2 Rower will be rejected and sent home"

Just found that and thought I would share.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3724 users online. 200 members and 3524 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X