300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killeen PD

Anybody work for, with, or around Killeen PD? I know one officer here works for KPD, and I have a PM into him, but waiting on a reply. Just curious if anybody else can provide any first hand information such as morale, shifts, etc.... I know they is a lot of crime there, and the PD stays pretty busy but don't know much beyond that.

I am just looking for a large PD to retire with that I can move around to different units if I wish, as well as move up eventually. Just tired of the small PD rigamarole.

Any info would be much appreciated.
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
    -Sun Tzu

I lived in Killeen for 4 years while in the army and like you said those officers stay super busy. Iv talked to a few and they seemed to enjoy but I don't know much beyond that

Comment

I know a few guys currently in Killeen that used to work for my department. No complaints from them really. The city has a very high crime rate and I am sure they stay busy. However, they are losing officers at a very high rate is what they have told me. The problem is the pay. You can go 45 minutes south or 45 minutes north and start off at a substantially higher pay rate. That is the main problem with Temple and Killeen. The pay and benefits are very low compared to other similiar agencies. Take if from me. Go where the money and benefits are.

Comment

Originally posted by tpd320 View Post
        I know a few guys currently in Killeen that used to work for my department. No complaints from them really. The city has a very high crime rate and I am sure they stay busy. However, they are losing officers at a very high rate is what they have told me. The problem is the pay. You can go 45 minutes south or 45 minutes north and start off at a substantially higher pay rate. That is the main problem with Temple and Killeen. The pay and benefits are very low compared to other similiar agencies. Take if from me. Go where the money and benefits are.
        http://www.killeentexas.gov/files/Po...April-2013.pdf

The pay looks pretty good to me.

Comment

Compared to other cities in TX, it is not very good:

Austin
          San Antonio (Academy pay is horrible).
          Dallas
          Ft. Worth
          Houston, (again, academy pay sucks).
          Waco
          San Marcos
          Corpus Christi
          Last edited by dgtx42; 06-24-2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

We recently had a pay study conducted. Temple and Killeen were by far the lowest salary when compared to the other cities in the area. It was so low that the city snuck in Harlingen of all places so we would not be the lowest. They call that trick a "reducing modifier". We do not compete with Harlingen for recruits but they didnt want us to be the lowest in the study.

Compared to Georgetown, Austin, Roundrock, Waco, Cedar Park, Temple/Killeen are well below those agencies pay and benefit wise. Dont get me wrong. Both are very good agencies with the exception of pay. Dont focus too much on starting pay. Look 5 years out. That is when it really starts to hurt.
            Last edited by tpd320; 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

My last PD paid $14.00/HR, with no OT pay, sick time, vacation time, or holiday time (only 4 officers so they don't have to provide any of that)... The one before paid 36k with no step raises. Only way to make more money was to promote.

I understand what you are saying about pay though, just know it can always get worse. I currently live in Waco, and while Waco PD pays well, most of the other agencies in the area pay less than 30k per year, with a few exceptions. My wife has a really good *cough* paying *cough* job in Waco and for some reason, me and Waco PD don't mesh when it comes to hiring, long story. So Killeen would be a good place for me, as I could move somewhere in between, like Temple or Belton, and my wife and I both would only have a 25-30 minute commute. Just some preliminary thoughts, I still have to get hired first.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
              -Sun Tzu

Comment

Killeen works 10 shifts, 4 on 3 off. Temple works 12 hour shifts, meaning you get every other Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. Temple has an IVAP program, which basically means you are assigned your own patrol vehicle. You can take it home if you live within the city limits. I am not sure if Killeen has one. Both have fairly new buildings. Both drive the crown vic, caprice, and tahoes. Killeen has their own city jail. Temple takes all prisoners to the Bell County Sheriffs office because of the close proximity. Not sure about Killeen but Temple has so many off duty assignments that they cant fill them all. Each city has plenty of work to do. So much so that those 10 or 12 days usually run a couple hours over. That's about it. Both are always hiring and I mean always. I have never seen the department at full strength because of all the attrition.

Comment

Check out DPS, I work in the area and enjoy it a lot. We got a nice pay raise recently and with the independence we have it's the perfect combo. Harker Heights, Temple and Killeen are all good places to work. If you wanna stay in Bell County you have plenty of options. Good Luck!

Comment

I just read in the paper where Killeen approved an 8% pay raise for police and fire personnel. It also stated they had 18 openings, and 1 more had turned in his notice this week.

Also dropped an app at Harker Heights, not real hopeful of that spot though. Super good pay, but that means competition is going go to be high, I would think.

-Sun Tzu

Comment

I looked at Harker Heights once, but they seemed to have a lot of overkill in terms of keeping an eye on you.

I'm surprised you don't want to go back to work for your last chief. He's a swell guy.
                      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                        I looked at Harker Heights once, but they seemed to have a lot of overkill in terms of keeping an eye on you.

I'm surprised you don't want to go back to work for your last chief. He's a swell guy.
                        Oh yeah If you consider a feminine hygiene product that would be used on a summer's eve, swell....

-Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by BaylorBearSW View Post
                          Oh yeah If you consider a feminine hygiene product that would be used on a summer's eve, swell....
                          Vagisil?
                          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                            Vagisil?
                            He could certainly use some of that. Maybe it would change his attitude when the irritation is gone...

-Sun Tzu

Comment

Well passed the test and PRB. Some like 120-130 showed up, and only about 65 left after the test and tattoo screenings and such. Everyone, including me, was given a conditional offer of employment, but still lots of obstacles to overcome to obtain the final offer of employment. They said they were hiring 17.

-Sun Tzu

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5513 users online. 323 members and 5190 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X