300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty?

Am I except, or will I have to go in, and tell them that I am a Texas Peace Officer?

If you were summoned, you have to go. During the voir dire, they cut most officers......but not all of the time. Don't expect to sit on a jury, but don't rule it out.

Comment

Do you mean exempt? If you do, then no! You're still required to show up, wait and hopefully released early enough to enjoy your day. I've had to sit through voir dire before getting cut loose.
      Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
        Do you mean exempt? If you do, then no! You're still required to show up, wait and hopefully released early enough to enjoy your day. I've had to sit through voir dire before getting cut loose.
        LOL Yes, I meant exempt! Well, looks like I will be siting in hell then.
        Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCop11 View Post
          Well, looks like I will be siting in hell then.
          Voir dire does suck. And here's why... For most of the jurors, it's their first time sitting a fancy courtroom with lawyers and judges and whatnot. It's just like they've seen on television. So for some reason they tend to get diarrhea of the mouth. They'll talk on and on because for once, they think their opinions matter.

And God help you if it's a criminal trial. You'll have to sit quietly while a room full of idiots bash police and tell stories about how this "one friend" got arrested and "didn't even do nothin'" or "only had 3 beers and wasn't even drunk."

That said, I don't avoid jury duty. I'll b1tch about it, but it is a DUTY that I will fulfill.

Best quote from voir dire on a DWI trial I got summoned for. "I don't think there should be a legal limit. My friend can drink 50 beers at a time and not be drunk."

Comment

Here we cant go in uniform because it makes it look like were trying to get out of doing it. Well duh we are.

Each side gets 10 scratches,very very seldom will a defense attorney let a officer on a jury. Your normally going to be scratch 1 if he has and brains.But you still have to go thru the motions. Enjoy the day.Many have died so we have that right and option .

Comment

About 5 yrs ago I got a jury summons for county court. At the time I was an SRO in my city. I show up to jury duty and a teacher from my school was there. Prior to starting they tell everyone that if you're quiet and unoticed you're more likely to get picked. During voir dire they ask if anyone knows anyone else in the room. She points me out as the PO in her school. The defense attorney perked up and asked that I raise my hand again so he could see me. He made note of me. I thought I was out for sure. So then they get to me and ask if I know anyone. I knew the teacher of course and both prosecutors. I had been to trial and training with them. Again the defense attorney makes note of me. I was pretty quiet and really didn't have anything to say during the questions. We break for a little while they work out the jury selection. The teacher and I are standing together when they start calling numbers. I'm counting as they go and they get to #12, and then the alternate. She got picked as the allternate. I chuckled and said see ya. I get in the elevator and one of the prosecutors gets in with me. She says "You don't know how close you were to being picked." She said there were no strikes by either side but if there was, I was next to be on the jury. I asked what the case was and she said it was a sex assault case out of my city. I couldn't believe the defense almost let that happen.

Comment

I have been placed on a jury. It was a juvenile case that was a bad arrest. The charge was a new one and the arresting officer was the first in the area to use it. I think the DA was still trying it because they were trying to figure out how best to charge this offense. We ended up acquitting the girl. When i asked the defense attorney after the case how i made the jury he replied with, "I needed someone that understood how to read the law because i knew half the jury would want to find her guilty regardless of the fact."

Thing is, if the officer had used one of 10 other offenses this kid would have been guilty of a crime.
                The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
                -Neal Boortz

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4619 users online. 283 members and 4336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X