300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Agency Academy Start Date

I'm looking for police agency that academy will start between Nov 2014 and March 2015. The reason why I'm asking is I can get early release from military upon the acceptance of a full time civilian job.

The Houston Police Department will have a class in October 2014 and February 2015.

www.hpdcareer.com

Comment

Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
      The Houston Police Department will have a class in October 2014 and February 2015.

www.hpdcareer.com
      When should I apply for February 2015 academy?

Comment

Originally posted by career31905 View Post
        When should I apply for February 2015 academy?
        I would wait until after the October class starts. It makes the best use of both of our time.

Comment

I'm wondering if it's possible to start my hiring process in July 2014 for February 2015 because I'm currently in the military, and it's uncertain that I'll get leave days between October and December 2014. But I certainly do have leave days for July.

Comment

I'm wondering if it's possible to start my hiring process in July 2014 for February 2015 because I'm currently in the military, and it's uncertain that I'll get leave days between October and December 2014. But I certainly do have leave days for July.
            Well, CptCAV is the Asst. Chief over recruiting...I would listen to what he has to say.
            "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
            -Sun Tzu

Comment

No, sir. That leaves way too much time between the background investigation and the the class start date. PM me your information and I can put you in touch with the lieutenant over recruiting who can try to work something out with you. As a former Army vet, I am not opposed to pleading your case to the company/battery commander for leave if you think it might help.

Comment

Let me clarify, I wasn't trying to be a RICHARD with that post. Just if anybody would know when to apply it would be the person who is in charge of it. But, then again, I know not everyone reads certain posts, etc... and may not have known.

So I apologize for any feelings that may have been hurt in the making of the last post.
                "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
                -Sun Tzu

Comment

Career,

I was originally going to send you a PM regarding this, but I figured I would post instead, as the information may be beneficial to others as well. I am in a spot very similar to yours. I am supposed to leave the Marine Corps in May 2015, but with the early release program, I am eligible to get out in November, and have terminal leave that I can take as well. I recently applied to HPD and will be testing in November. My chain of command has been very supportive of my plans, as I've been honest with them about my intentions to separate early if offered a position with the Department. I am absolutely going to try to make the October 2014 Academy, but if I truly cannot, hopefully I can defer until February.

My advice to you is to talk to your leadership and explain your situation/motivation for this type of career. I was a little worried prior to discussing this with my chain of command, but everyone has been extremely helpful.

Since you specifically mentioned having limited leave available...I recently found out that the Marine Corps offers 30 days of PTAD (basically free leave) for transitioning members. In other words, once you have a solid early release date and you establish the date that you plan to begin terminal leave, you can take 30 day of leave PRIOR to the start of terminal leave (job hunting). Although you will not have your DD-214 until you actually begin terminal leave, the 30 days of free leave may definitely come in handy and may allow you to complete some of the testing process. If I am ultimately hired by HPD, I plan to use some of this time to search for a place to live while in the academy, etc. It is certainly a little intimidating leaving active service and moving across the country, but again, I think it is a really good idea to talk to your chain of command and find out about these types of programs that may be available to you.

I hope this helps you, as well as anyone else who may be browsing this forum and thinking about making the transition from active duty military to a career in law enforcement. Best of luck with whatever route you choose!

Comment

Make sure you have your dd-214 or have enough college credit otherwise your not going to get passed the initial screening/interview.

Comment

Good point. Luckily, I was able to complete my BA while on active duty by taking advantage of tuition assistance. I still have my G.I. Bill saved.

Comment

Rumor has it that Fort Worth is going to hold a test in July, that academy would be this fall.

Comment

Fort Worth is taking apps on July 8th for their academy that starts Jan 12th,2015

Comment

Are out-of-towners and others who can't make it to FW on the 8th out of luck as far as applying goes?

Comment

From my understanding, Fort Worth does not accept applications at any time. They have specific days in which they do. July 8th happens to be one of them. On July 8th you can submit your application online, then they will contact you for interview times later.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3045 users online. 142 members and 2903 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X