300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice!

Alright y'all, first I just want to say that I'm sorry if I am asking things in the wrong section, i thought i should post in the "ask a cop" section but i want advice straight from Texans since that is where I plan on moving.

Now a little background before the advice...

I'm 20 year old junior in college, getting a bachelors degree in Emergency Management/Homeland Security and also getting an associates degree in Criminal Justice (GPA is above a 3.0)

Involved in several clubs and organizations

Red Cross first aid certified

Several FEMA certifications (NIMS, ERFs, Active shooter, etc etc)

Speak some Spanish

Ive never had any run ins with police except for a speeding ticket i got when the day after I turned 18

I'm doing an internship with the local Sheriff's Office (had to take and pass the Corrections Officer test to do so)

Soon I'll be getting a job as an unarmed Security Guard, so I'll have a little background in LE

So now the advice I need, Senior year is rolling around and I'm starting to look for departments to apply to but first, is there anything else I could do to make myself a better candidate? and what are some good departments in Texas to apply to? I've looked into San Antonio, Austin and Plano but that's it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated y'all.
    Applied to Houston PD: 10/28/15
    P.A.T.: 12/07/2015
    Interview/Reading Comp Test: 12/07/2015

All of the departments you mention are good ones to apply to. I don't think there's anything else you need to do to be a good candidate. Just watch the speed limit, and don't go nuts with the alcohol when you turn 21.

The only thing it sounds like you might have going against you is your age. I think you're eligible to be hired at pretty much all departments at age 21, but some departments might not hire many 21 year olds (I think the youngest person in my class was 23). But that's no big deal. Send out some applications and see what happens. If you don't get hired, find somewhere to earn a paycheck for a year or two and then try again. Also look into civilian jobs at PDs for the meantime.

Also, minor detail.. unarmed (or even armed) security is not really what I would call "background in LE." Nothing wrong with it.. it's just very different job duties. If you do become a security guard, don't get into any sh*t while you're working security because you want to be a cop. That will certainly sink your career. Observe, report, call the police. Avoid high liability jobs like bouncer.

Comment

Yep. Keep your nose clean and apply.
      "Do not be deceived:Bad company corrupts good morals."
      1 Corinthians 15:

You are the weapon, everything else is just a tool

Comment

I have to agree with my colleagues on everything. You are still young so figure on doing something else for a while. This does not mean dont apply, one you might land a job and two having a couple"practice" attempts will help you to become familiar with what to expect and identify what you need to work on.
        In God We Trust
        Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I figured the age would be a pretty big factor. I mean, I know from a recruitment standpoint I wouldn't want the fresh out of college, no experience 21 year old either, but I don't plan on applying until after I graduate so I can put my two degrees on my application so in reality I'll probably be close to 23 when my applications actually get processed in. I know this is gonna be a long rough road lol Luckily, I already have a job to earn an income while I'm waiting to apply and waiting for the application process to go through. As far as the Security Guard position, I thought the same thing, but I didn't think it could hurt as long as I stay out of trouble with it. Thank you for the input!

Comment

Age is not a factor with Houston PD as long as you fall within the statory requirements. (20.5 to 44.5 starting the Academy) state law requires you to be at least 21 or no older than 45 to assume a starting job in a LE agency in Texas in a city of over 1.5 million in population.

HPD will hire you with 48 semester hours of college and credit you with 12 more for the academy. We also offer tuition reimbursement after your probationary period.

If you are intent in competing your degree plans, i'd offer you one dynmic: seniority. If you wait until you get your degree you will be giving up seniority on 10's if not 100's of other officers. This can be a factor when talking about shift, days off, or promotion exam eligibility.

For HPD, the difference between a degree and the 48 semester hour requirement is nil. Yoy are qualified either way.

At any rate, stay away from dope, MJ, adderoll, alcohol, etc. Clean up your relationships with people of questionable charachter. Make sure your credit report is clean.

Good luck with whatever agency you choose.

Www.hpdcareer.com

Comment

alright I'll keep that in mind!

As far as the degree...I am very intent on completing it, because I am the first person in my family history to go to a four year university and get a degree, It's kind of a family pride deal, but I am also open to the idea of also getting my career started and working on my degree at the same time. you're saying that I could go ahead and apply and once the probationary period is over HPD would reimburse me so that I could go ahead and finish it at some point down the road? I honestly don't care WHEN I get the degrees, just that I get them at some point.

Comment

Also, as far as credit...I dont have any. I've never gotten a credit card, both vehicles I've had I paid cash for (it was my only option, my parents credit isn't very good so they couldn't co-sign) I don't have an apartment. I thought about getting a card with a small limit so I could use it for small purchases like gas and food so I could pay it off every month and build my credit without getting in over my head. Good idea or should I just let it ride? I know I talked to SAPD and they said credit isn't that important to them, they just want to see that you are responsible and don't have too much debt.

Comment

You dont need credit. You just cant have bad credit like excessive charge offs, deliquent accounts, etc.

College degrees are a big deal in our department, hence the tuition reimbursement. Additionally, BA, MA, and Phd or JD degrees get you an incentivepay of $240, $480, $680 a month respectively.

Comment

Check out Corpus Christi PD. Under pay and benefits, multiply the salary x 27, and that will give you an annual figure. This does not include, night pay, weekend pay, uniform, college credit, or the copious amounts of overtime that is available here.

Here's a little info on the city.

Also, here are some of the highlighted nightly calls we deal with on a regular basis.

It is a mid sized city with great pay and we stay busy. If you want 20-30 calls a day and want to see everything from loud music to robberies, fights, murders, traffic fatalities, dope, gang bangers, and foot pursuits, Corpus is a good place to be.

Comment

Look at Grand Prairie. Medium sized agency with a population near 200k between Dallas and Fort Worth. Good pay, benefits, equipment and they let you work.

Comment

Originally posted by CptCAV View Post
                        College degrees are a big deal in our department, hence the tuition reimbursement. Additionally, BA, MA, and Phd or JD degrees get you an incentivepay of $240, $480, $680 a month respectively.
                        $680 a month for a JD?!! What dept is this? Haha. I can't complain.. I do get monthly education pay, but it's $300 a month for my JD.

Comment

Originally posted by Codety View Post
                          Also, as far as credit...I dont have any. I've never gotten a credit card, both vehicles I've had I paid cash for (it was my only option, my parents credit isn't very good so they couldn't co-sign) I don't have an apartment. I thought about getting a card with a small limit so I could use it for small purchases like gas and food so I could pay it off every month and build my credit without getting in over my head. Good idea or should I just let it ride? I know I talked to SAPD and they said credit isn't that important to them, they just want to see that you are responsible and don't have too much debt.
                          It actually would be a good idea to get a credit card and pay it off each month. You do need to build your credit at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                            It actually would be a good idea to get a credit card and pay it off each month. You do need to build your credit at some point.
                            I would agree here and not just for job reasons. At some point you are going to want to buy a new car, home, etc and having a good credit rating will pay off in spades.
                            In God We Trust
                            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

You could also apply at a county jail for more experience and also a way to get your foot in the door at a agency. Alot would rather promote from within as they know you rather than hire from outside people they really dont have a clue about other than what you put on paper.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5360 users online. 311 members and 5049 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X