300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin PD Modified Academy

Just browsing over their website and noticed that they plan to hold a modified academy for licensed peace officers. I believe I read that it was 3 months instead of 6?

Anyway, it caught my attention. I have been with my agency for 13 years. Currently a Sgt. But if I read right, I would surpass my current salary after a year with APD if I went that route.

So spill the beans current APD guys. How is it? I love the schedule, pay, and benefits. How goes the morale? I also assume their is never a dull moment with plenty to do.

I say this every time someone on here asks about the morale at APD...my morale is doing just fine. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't see many people quitting or leaving for other departments.
    I don't know what it would be like to be a Sgt. and start all over again at the bottom, but I often work with a guy who was a narcotics Sgt. in DC and moved to Austin. He seems to be doing just fine. As long as you're o.k. going back on patrol and shagging calls, I'd say it's worth checking out.. maybe schedule a ride-out.

Comment

Yeah, already have my paperwork in for a ride along. As far as giving up the stripes to hit the streets again, I honestly have no problem with that. Have been stuck behind a desk for the better part of 8 years now with no chance to move. I really love the city, as does my wife. She is poking me in the arm as I type, asking when I am going to submit my app. I keep telling her to just sit tight and let me do some research. To be honest, what has always held me back was the desire not to go through another academy, but now..... We will see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by tpd320 View Post
        I believe I read that it was 3 months instead of 6?
        I think it's like 4 mos instead of 8 mos. But anyway.. much shorter. It's probably still no cake walk. 8 mos seemed like FOREVER though.

Comment

I've been working on my application the last few days. 37 pages seems kind of excessive, ha. Probably a dumb question (but our dept is archaic) but does Austin use pda's for reports/arrest tickets/etc?

Comment

They have an information session on June 6th from 0900-1300. Providing information regarding the academy, Q and A session also. Take a look at that 122nd Cadet series on Youtube. That is an eye opener.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisTF View Post
              I've been working on my application the last few days. 37 pages seems kind of excessive, ha. Probably a dumb question (but our dept is archaic) but does Austin use pda's for reports/arrest tickets/etc?
              We have MDTs in the car that we do reports on. E-ticket handheld thingies are slowly being distributed. For now I'm still writing tickets by hand. They're putting everyone through E-ticket training this summer, so I guess they expect to get more of them soon.

Comment

Well, I sent in my application last Wednesday. I got an email Monday saying they received my application and due to the high volume of applicants it would be 6 to 8 weeks before they would review my application. Less than 24 hours later I received another email stating my application had been reviewed and my testing dates are July 24 and 25. Any recommendations for a nice affordable hotel near the test sites (which I'm assuming is at the Training Academy)? The wife and I have never been to Austin so we're going a few days early to check out the city.

Comment

Well, I sent in my application last Wednesday. I got an email Monday saying they received my application and due to the high volume of applicants it would be 6 to 8 weeks before they would review my application. Less than 24 hours later I received another email stating my application had been reviewed and my testing dates are July 24 and 25. Any recommendations for a nice affordable hotel near the test sites (which I'm assuming is at the Training Academy)? The wife and I have never been to Austin so we're going a few days early to check out the city.
                  I don't know if the the test is at the academy or at the recruiting building. The two are not anywhere close to each other. I can tell you which hotels to avoid.. anywhere along IH35 south of Braker Ln and north of Downtown and/or anything less than $100 per night. Most of the motels in my sector are infested with bed bugs and junkies.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                    I don't know if the the test is at the academy or at the recruiting building. The two are not anywhere close to each other. I can tell you which hotels to avoid.. anywhere along IH35 south of Braker Ln and north of Downtown and/or anything less than $100 per night. Most of the motels in my sector are infested with bed bugs and junkies.
                    Thanks! I'm not sure where it's at yet either exactly. I haven't heard back since I replied saying the test dates worked for me. Can you explain the TCOLE certification? It says you have to obtain it atleast 2 weeks prior to starting the academy. Is that something you do online or do you have to come do it in person somewhere? Also could you explain the different shifts/hours and how the days off rotate? Thanks!

Comment

Thanks! I'm not sure where it's at yet either exactly. I haven't heard back since I replied saying the test dates worked for me. Can you explain the TCOLE certification? It says you have to obtain it atleast 2 weeks prior to starting the academy. Is that something you do online or do you have to come do it in person somewhere? Also could you explain the different shifts/hours and how the days off rotate? Thanks!
                      I'm afraid I cannot explain the TCOLE certification requirements. I went through a full 8 month academy and took a test at the end of it to get certified. I don't know what the process is for you.

Shifts are Days, Evenings, and Nights. Nights and Days rotate every other month, so basically you'll get weekends off every other month if you're on nights or days. There are 3 evening shifts, so it rotates through every 2 mos instead of every other. To be honest, I never bothered to figure out the evening shift rotation because I never worked evenings. 4 day work week; 10 hr shifts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3914 users online. 225 members and 3689 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X