Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and Advice

Good evening,

I am originally from Florida, and I am looking at moving to Texas, the Austin area to be exact. I am currently, a contractor in Afghanistan and looking to become certified upon moving to TX.

My questions are:

I did some research with my limited internet... do you have to be sponsored by a department to attend the academy of your choice? Or can you self-sponsor and put yourself through the academy?

Obviously, there are good number of agencies but which ones are currently hiring in the area?

In order to work for any of the large agencies in that area, you will need to be hired and attend their individual academy. Texas DPS, Austin PD, Travis County SO.... all have their own academy programs. Trainees are paid during the academy. If you want to work for a smaller agency, you can go to a regional academy to get your basic peace officer license. I think the one they use around here is called CAPCOG... Some of those agencies may sponsor you to attend the regional academy, others may not.

Lately all the large agencies have been hiring year round... I'm not sure about the small departments in the area.

Comment

Ready has some good points!

I would start getting everything in place to attend a self sponsored academy when your tour is over. If you want to work for an agency that sends it's new hires to an academy, I'd apply there as well. Nothing wrong with having a few options on the table.
      "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

I put myself through the academy at San Antonio Community College and then got picked up as a reserve at my SO where I was serving as Chaplain. Wasn't cheap and fortunately I had the funds. I think we shot up a LOT of rounds of .38 and .357 mag and ammo was a lot cheaper 16 years ago.

www.thebluesnews.com has an employment section. It's a monthly police-only newspaper. (Texas' largest)
        Last edited by chapwolfe; 06-03-2014, 11:23 PM.
        Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
        Among Texas' finest
        Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
        Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
        Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

If you want to expand beyond the agencies that put you through an academy I would suggest self sponsoring. There are a couple in the Austin area. CAPGOG which is a full time academy for 5 months or only in the evenings for 11 months I believe. CAPCOG will cost you around 4 grand. There is also an academic alternative through Austin Community College. If you have a degree in Criminal Justice you will only need to take 4 classes to get your Basic Peace Officer Certificate. I self sponsored and went from having a couple of options to have dozens. I currently have 8 upcoming tests and interviews. I would recommend self sponsoring if you are looking for anything other than Austin or DPS. Travis Co Sheriff requires that you have your BPOC regardless if you work in the jail.Anyone with a BPOC as the same opportunity with TCSO as someone who worked in the jail for a couple of years. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Cp1313 View Post
            If you want to expand beyond the agencies that put you through an academy I would suggest self sponsoring.

Good luck
            I am going to totally disagree with that line of thinking. If you go through an academy that you pay for on your own, a larger agency (Austin, Houston, El Paso, Dallas) wont care; you will still have to go through thier academy.

If you go through one of those larger academies and decide the department is not for you, a smaller agency without an academy will take you in a heartbeat.

If you are interested in the largest agency in Texas, Houston PD is hiring for their October class.
            www.hpdcareer.com
            Last edited by CptCAV; 06-07-2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Just remember that going through a pay-your-own-way academy and passing the TCOLE test doesn't guarantee you'll get hired.
              Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
              Among Texas' finest
              Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
              Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
              Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

If you're looking to move to the Austin area, I'd recommend at least putting in an application with Austin PD. Like others have said, you get paid (pretty decently) during the academy. I really don't know how you go about getting hired at any of the smaller departments around Austin (Pflugerville, Round Rock, Sunset Valley, West Lake, Lago Vista, Manor, etc..) When I was looking, none of them were hiring so I never got any info. Give them all a call and find out. Also, don't forget about University of Texas PD. UT is huge, and their PD is legit, not just some campus security.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3520 users online. 241 members and 3279 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X