Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to LE... Looking for advice

Hello,
    I would like to introduce myself... My name is Amy and I am a 36 year old female from Southeast Texas. I currently possess my masters degree in criminology with numerous continuing education classes (about 20) in everything ranging from child abuse to investigations to social work from the state. I have no experience in law enforcement and am not a certified peace officer. I currently work for Child Protective Services as an Investigator. Last week I tested for the position of US Federal Probation Officer. My goal is to get into law enforcement. It seems as though it would have been more beneficial to have been certified rather than have a masters degree! I am looking for advice on where to begin my law enforcement career. Being certified is really my only downfall other than the mile plus runs for the physical tests but I am working on that!! I enjoy reading all the posts and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Wow, all these views and no answer. I'm curious to hear as well. I'll be in a similar position when I retire from the military. Hope you get some replies soon!

Comment

I would make a wish list on 5 five agencies you would like to work for and due your research. Talk to the recruiters, do ride outs and see which depts. have a good admin, benefits and moral. Being a CPS Investigator you should come in contact with officers from various agencies. Get their input!
      Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Contact us at HPDcareer.com or call (800) 252-0473 (713) 308-1300
        We are actively seeking to hire 200-225 officers in the next year.

The Houston Police Department does not require prior law enforcement as a basic requirement. 48 semester hours of college meets our basic requirement and it appears you have meet that standard.

We **might** be able to squeak you into the June class, but it is likley that you might have to wait unti the October class.

Thanks for your interest!

Comment

Hi there SETX . I don't have any advice really but I'm a little like you. I am 34 and female, plus have a family. As of right now I am a Banker and have no LE background. I don't know of anyone in my family being in LE either, so I will be the first . I will be attending the Police Academy at Angelina College in Lufkin TX this year and am looking forward to this new chapter in my life. It's a huge change but it's what I want more than anything else. It sounds like you have great schooling behind you and in the present and that is great I think. I was thinking about the Houston Academy but only have 20 credit hours. I will be furthering my education but that will most likely be in a year, year and a half from now. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing what you choose and your progress.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice and help. So far I have received a test date for Plano PD and an interview for Arlington PD. I am still waiting to hear back from the US Federal Probation testing. I was told that takes 2-3 weeks. RUSH817, I have very close working relationships with my local law enforcement and judges. I am just looking to relocate to a larger area that provides more opportunity. Looking forward to more advice!

Comment

I can tell you that US Probation wants people who have prior probation experience. They do not even count police or other law enforcement experience as credit. Your education is great, but if you want to be a USPO, you will almost certainly need to get some probation or parole experience at the county or state level.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2669 users online. 134 members and 2535 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X